“Unacceptably noisy and unprofessional reception staff”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
London
“Unacceptably noisy and unprofessional reception staff”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed on Saturday night (1 September) before the Bupa Great Run in which my partner ran. The main thing we were after was quiet and a good night's sleep and so we requested a quiet room. Instead we were given a room right opposite the lifts and were kept up until after 2am by rowdy guests and children shouting in the corridors.
On checkout, we informed the lady on reception that the noise levels were unacceptable, however her response was "yes, we had a wedding reception last night". When we pointed out to her that as paying guests, we expect and are entitled to a decent service regardless of any other circumstances that do not concern us, she said nothing.
We found her to be very unprofessional, she completely failed to apologise, even just out of courtesy.
This is one amateur outfit.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 5 September 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you stay was disrupted by noise from other guests and for the inconvenience that this caused.

The team will always endeavour to deal with any noise complaints and I am sorry that the Receptionist did not offer any apologies the following morning. I am sure that it was certainly not their intention to be unprofessional and I have discussed your comments with the Front Office Manager.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

This stay was a last minuite booking through Booking.com. The Hotel was an excellent break about ten minuites walk from the heart of Sheffield City Centre. There is a good car park outside £5 per night which is reasonable. The staff awere very friendly and could not do enough for you. The hotel is beautiful and clean and the bedrooms are a good size and spotless. The spa is excellent and I can not speak too highly of this hotel. The breakfast was also excellent. Thanks for a lovely stay!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 3 September 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent break at the Hilton Sheffield from the friendly team to spotless bedrooms.

It was also great to read that you enjoyed the spa and found the breakfast excellent too.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed bank holiday weekend when wether wet, wet ,wet.The Hilton was very clean, room good size. staff very friendly including cleaner.breakfast excellent and bar snack good.location good for city shopping and we used tram to Meadowhall centre and viewed Chatsworth house in Bakewell.A successful short break not riuned by the weather!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield over the bank holiday weekend.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff members helpful and friendly, the bedrooms clean and spacious followed by an excellent breakfast the next morning.

I was also pleased to see that you found the hotel in a good location for Meadowhall and Chatsworth House.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield soon.

Newton Aycliffe
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Stayed as a family (2 adults & 2 children) for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. Room was ok ( I had requested an upgrade but this was not mentioned when we checked in, and as we had to wait 45 mins for our room to be cleaned did not bother to mention the upgrade as I did not want to wait any longer!) Room was very clean but there always seemed to be something missing. On the first day there were no biscuits - our children love "hotel biscuits" in the rooms, but the cleaning lady was very kind and brought some from the coffee bar downstairs - apparantly they had run out. On the second day we were left no milk to make coffee. I wondered if the cleaning was cut to a minimum and this was why things were missed? The breakfast and evening meals were superb - well worth the money. The chefs at breakfast were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. James, the restaurant manager was very pleasant, efficient and keen to please. We had room service one night which was quick and of the same quality as eating in the restaurant. The swimming pool was great, but I was disappointed that there seemed to be private swimming lessons going on which took up half of the pool and the instructor would not allow my daughter to play with one of the many toys which were on the side of the pool for the children having lessons. These minor things did not spoil things in any way - we had a lovely time and will stay here again if in the area, especially as the food was so good. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for comments on this website and I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I am sorry that your request for an upgrade was not mentioned upon check in and I have discussed your comments with the Front Office Manager. Upgrades are subject to availability however you should still have been informed whether this was available or not. I am also sorry that there was a delay into the check in of your room.

I would also like to apologise that once checked into your room there were items missing. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards nor acceptable and I have spoken to the Head Housekeeper regarding your comments.

I was pleased to see however that you did find breakfast and evening meal superb and your great comments regarding James, the Restaurant Manager, have been shared with him.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the pool and unfortunately the toys are provided by the swimming instructor. I have however asked the LivingWell Manager to look into purchasing some pool toys for use on site.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Sheffield as a weekend break with the wife away from work & the kids, the first thing i`ll say is every member of staff from reception to the chambermaids was polite and friendly (1st class). The hotel was clean and tidy, the room we stayed in was a king size deluxe, it was a good size with a good size bed. i was expecting an impressive bathroom, but was a little disappointed with the shower over the bath setup with a shower curtain. The toilet roll was of a very budget type!
The balconey was a good size but the main A road is a stones throw away and you can hear plenty of noise from it. you don`t see that on the pictures. beware if your a light sleeper, we heard people going back to their rooms up till 2.30am ish, then heard a couple of families going out in the morning at 8.00am, we even heard someones phone alarm going off in another room at about the same time (Knew it was a phone alarm because i use the same one)
if you want wireless internet, you have to pay for it!
We didn`t bother eating any meals there due to the prices, £10 for a breakfast...
£8 for soup and a roll, £26 for steak n chips etc etc.
The Bankers Draft is a 5 minute walk away where u can get 2 big (and i mean big) breakfasts and drinks for £11 (top quality)
All in all, for a working class couple spending a little more than we normally would on a hotel,
we expected a little bit more.
Would we go back again??, At the price we paid, i wanted the wow factor, apart from the size of the room, we could have been in any budget hotel, so no, we won`t be going back any time soon.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 29 August 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff members polite and friendly and you also found the bedroom clean and tidy. I am sorry however that you were disappointed with the design of the bathroom.

I am also sorry that you experienced noise from outside the hotel during your stay and from other guests returning to their bedrooms; we are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing in the hotel.

Wireless Internet is chargeable in the bedrooms however we do offer complimentary WIFI in our public areas.

I am also sorry that you found the cost of dining for breakfast and dinner too expensive. Breakfast is charged at £10 per person and this entitles you to a wide selection of hot and cold buffet items, tea, coffee and orange juice. An A La Carte breakfast menu is also available with items starting from £4.95.

I am sorry that you expected more for the price that you had paid and felt you could have been in a budget hotel. The Hilton Sheffield does offer many things which budget Hotels do not including 24 hour room service, fully equipped gym including pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, Beauty treatments, Quality Restaurant and Bar etc.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We arrived at 10.30pm on a Saturday evening having been at a family party. On arriving at reception the girl behind the desk looked very uncomfortable and asked me to wait a couple of minutes. She diapperered in to the back office without an explanation. She re appeared saying they had a problem with our room which had been flooded. She said the manager was in the middle of preparing another room, which had become free and gave us some vouchers for the bar.
Having ordered a poor excuse for coffee the duty manager appeared saying he was sorry and the room would take another 15 minutes to prepare. I asked him if our room was the only one affected by the flooding and he said it was. I think I must have had MUG written on my forehead.
We eventually got shown to our room which must have been prepared in a hurry as the bins had not been emptied.
The room was ok but very hot with no air conditioning and we didn't feel safe enough to open the balcony door. Needless to say I kept waking up due the stuffy hot room.
On going for breakfast the next day I was greeted by the same duty manager and told him the room was very hot to which he said " yes they are aren't they and you can't open the windows very wide can you". I can see he has received great sales skills training. I was then told there wasn't a table free and we'd have to wait 10 minutes!
My wife then watched a girl clear a table by sweeping all the debris from the table on to the floor and leaving it. She also had put the cutlery on another chair where someone had been sitting. Mmm very hygienic.
Needless to say I asked for money off the bill and received 2 free breakfasts and parking.
This was not the end. When we got home my wife found she had left her jacket in the wardrobe in the room. She phoned to ask the hotel to see if they found it. The girl said someone would call back, which they didn't. She called back to be told that they hadn't found it and spoke to someone who made her sound like she made it up. We can only assume that someone had taken it.
I cannot ever remember staying in such an awful hotel. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
1 Thank Ringo1961
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately shortly before you arrived we did experience a problem with the bedroom that had been allocated to you, therefore, another room was cleaned as quickly as possible to avoid any further delays. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused.

Our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I would also like to apologise for the delay at breakfast and for the staff member that failed to deliver the correct procedures. I have asked the Restaurant Manager to speak to his team and implement the necessary re training.

In addition I am sorry that your wife’s jacket was lost and has not been found by our Housekeeping team. I have again asked the Head Housekeeper to check lost property and unfortunately nothing has been found.

Please be assured that the issues you experienced during your stay are not reflective of our usual high standards and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton in the future.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed at Hilton Sheffield Victoria Quays on 25th August, while attending a wedding there. Found it average really,but booked through Hotels.com so I guess it wasn't too bad for the money. Room was clean and plenty of towels. The hotel was very,very hot and during the ceremony,you actually felt like you were melting,and it was so hot to sleep at night. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice of hot and cold food and freshly squeezed orange juice constantly topped up if you wanted it. However,had to wait in the bar for 15minutes as there were no tables available and it all seemed so unorganised. All in all a good value hotel with breakfast included,but have stayed in better hotels such as Crowne Plaza Leeds and Mercure St Paul's Sheffield Which I paid about the same for and were a bit more luxurious.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to see that you did find the bedrooms clean and tidy however I would like to apologise for bedrooms being too hot during your stay. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I am also sorry for the delay at breakfast and for any inconvenience that this caused. Unfortunately we do sometimes experience busy periods at breakfast however this certainly should not feel unorganised and I have discussed your comments with the Restaurant Manager. I was glad to see however that you did enjoy your breakfast.

Overall I am sorry that you feel this stay was average and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.