“Ideal for what we wanted” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
“Ideal for what we wanted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed here for one night.

Positives:
Service from all the staff was great.
Spa and pool area ( with towels provided)
Breakfast - could have pancakes and waffles aswell as the usual stuff
Nice complimentary toiletries

Negatives
Tv in room was of poor picture quality.
Lift took forever to come when called if at all!
£5 for parking

Would definitely recommend though as the good outweighed the bad

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 7 December 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff members great and you enjoyed the use of LivingWell and complimentary toiletries. Your great feedback regarding breakfast has also been noted.

I would like to apologise however for the poor television quality and I have asked the Maintenance Manager to investigate this as soon as possible.

I am also sorry that the lift was slow on this occasion and you found the cost of car parking too high.

Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on several different occasions, so have a good feel for the level of service and standards provided. The rooms are a reasonable size and the beds are fairly comfortable. However, there is little in the way of soundproofing between the rooms and any sort of noise in the corridors is clearly audible from nearby rooms. I know soundproofing doesn't come cheap, but most hotels in this price bracket seem to do a better job.

Room service is consistently slow and inconsistent in terms of presentation. I've waited 50mins to an hour on several occasions.

Breakfast in the restaurant is good, with a wide selection of food on offer.

Some of the charges are on the high side - £5 tray charge with room service, £15 for one night of broadband, £5 for parking even if staying at hotel etc.

The hotel has a very good (Living Well) gym which is free for residents to use.

Sheffield isn't exactly awash with high quality hotels and the Hilton offers little to stand out from the mediocre.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

As a regular guest at the Hilton Sheffield I was disappointed to read that you find the hotel average.

I am sorry that you have experienced noise during your stay’s and we are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing within the hotel.

I would also like to apologise for the inconsistent room service that you have experienced and I agree that this is unacceptable. Your comments have been discussed with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager in order for this to improve.

Your comments regarding prices of room service, car parking and Internet have been noted and I am sorry that you find these too high. We do offer complimentary WIFI to all guests in public areas and in room to our gold and diamond Hilton Hhonors members.

I was glad to see however that you do enjoy the use of LivingWell.

If you do experience any concerns during future visits please do not hesitate to contact the Manager on Duty and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2012

Attended a function for 120 guests at this hotel to find that apart from seating for 8 persons no other seats were available in the bar area. Shame as the evening was excellent ,staff and food first class. However bar prices extortionate.£24.00 for a bottle of Rose wine a bit over the top.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Thomas A
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 30 November 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that during the function you attended there was a lack of seating in the bar area. We will always try and have additional seating in the bar area in addition to the seating in the function room itself.

I was glad to see that you did still enjoy your evening and your comments regarding the bar prices have been taken on board.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

I needed an overnight in Sheffield prior to a business meeting the following day, and this hotel suited the purpose very well, especially as my yong son was travelling with me. Great value for money and breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website.

It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your overnight stay for a business meeting and the Hilton Sheffield suited not only yours but your Son’s needs as well.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012 via mobile

stayed here a couple of weeks ago on a visit to see Lional Ritche at the arena.
Arrived on Friday evening pleasent room with a Balcony overlooking the quay, one downside is that there is no AC in the room so it can get a bit warm!
All areas of the hotel are neat & tidy & the staff are very friendly & attentive.
I did have an issue with internet access in the bar area but this was quickly sorted out by the staff.
Breakfast on Sunday morning was good.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

We have stayed in several Hilton group hotels around the world and have not been disappointed. As ever excellent service, good quality rooms, great breakfast selection, well located and good value. Reasonable parking charge. Our sat nav couldn't locate the hotel, but a couple of trips round the roundabout we found it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SANDRABLUECAT
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield and found the service and bedrooms as good as other Hilton’s you have stayed in.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed Friday and Saturday 16th & 17th Nov. Arrived 8.45pm and easily found parking on the adjacent car park (£7 for 24 hours but £5 for guests), check in was a bit fraught as they said we didn't have a booking and that I must have booked at Doubletree - er no it was here, anyway she said it doesn't matter we have rooms and proceeded to book us in to another room - I could see this could be a potential problem but thankfully another receptionist turned up and pointed out that we had been booked in on the system already - by mistake! Went to our room and it was very nice - large with two double beds, canal side view and a balcony, large bathroom with plenty of towels. Courtesy tray with plenty of tea and coffee. The beds were very comfortable - mattresses, pillows and duvets lovely quality. The room was at the end of a corridor and quiet. The only little problem is that there are no windows to open, Friday night was warm and we lasted until 4.15am but then had to open the balcony door - a bit of a security risk as we were only on the 2nd floor and also the balconies next door could easily climb over!
My husband noticed that there was crow bar markings on the outside of our balcony door - oh dear. But there was a fan in the wardrobe so you could use that. I must admit I do prefer rooms that are individually, thermostatically controlled. I think this used to be a Stakis hotel and Hilton bought it so not their fault! I don't see how it could be changed.
We had a bar meal in the bar Friday - burger (the presentation would impress MasterChef Judges! )and a Chicken Caesar Salad - very enjoyable although the salad came in a hot dish! Charming bar staff and a Duty Manager (?) that helped us connect to the internet - nothing was too much trouble, he was so kind. Internet is free in the lounges etc but you have to pay £14.95 per night to use it in your room - what a rip off!
Sunday morning we had breakfast - buffet style with a chef cooking fresh eggs (a very helpful person watching everyone to make sure they could find everything). The waiting staff the same as all the staff - good Hilton training. The only negative thing about the breakfast was that our table wasn't very clean - the person before me must have had a croissant! We were intrigued at the choice of food on the breakfast cold buffet - 6 trifles!
Only 10 mins walk to town centre ( and they have a John Lewis) or to Super Tram, Super Tram takes you to Meadowhall shopping centre and directly to the Motorpoint Arena (went to see Lionel Ritchie!) and the trams were every few mins when we came out.
All in all a very enjoyable stay and we shall go again - we felt at home there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 23 November 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hilton Sheffield.

I am sorry for the confusion that occurred with your reservation at check in and for any concern that this caused. I have spoken to the Front Office Manager in order for him to speak his team.

I was glad to see however that once checked in you did enjoy the room that overlooked the Quayside. I am sorry that you found the room warm and yes fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.
I was happy to read that you did enjoy the food in the Quays Bar and the staff were helpful in connecting you to the Internet.

Your great feedback regarding breakfast has also been shared and I believe that the granola dishes may be what you thought looked like trifles. Your comments regarding the dirty tables has also been noted and I am sorry that it had not been cleaned from the previous guest.