“Can't fault it”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Just arrived back from the Hilton, Sheffield. Hotel is easy to find and is in a lovely location for the city.Has ample parking. Staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. We had a beautiful large room overlooking the canal. Very clean with a large bathroom. Breakfast was delicious, everything you could ever want again with helpful staff. Would definately stay again. Did not get a chance to use pool but I am sure it wold have been worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Sheffield.

I was delighted to read that you found the location ideal and the staff members friendly. Your great feedback regarding breakfast and bedrooms have also been noted and shared with both departments.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Unfortunately we needed to be in Sheffield on my daughters 18th for a uni visit the next day. Advised the hotel of this when we booked to ensure we had nice rooms together overlooking Quays.
Rooms were overlooking Quays but disappointing, tired decor, ours stank of cleaning fluid, daughters did not, opened window to get rid of smell and room never warmed up after that but it was preferable to the smell.
Glad I hadn't told my daughter they were going to "arrange some little extras" for her as there was nothing.
Having stayed before we were looking forward to the pool but being half term it was swamped with kids, no room for swimming or sauna and everything was also tired.
Stayed in to eat, wish we had gone out. Staff were trying their best to avoid customers trying to get their attention. Table behind us were complaining when we arrived and we soon had reason to complain ourselves. Two rare steaks arrived well done and dry, no one came to ask if everything was OK and no one was around to speak to so didn't make a fuss just ate, had it of been my daughters meal I would have complained rather than eaten it. We did say something when our plates were collected but by the reaction of "please have a dessert free but not the platter, you can have this at 50% discount" it is obviously a common problem and that is the standard reply.
My daughter fancied a cocktail for her birthday so she was going through the list with a barman the other barman came along and quite rudely said he needed the list because he had orders, as she was rushed she ended up with something that she didn't really want which was a shame.

Breakfast was the best part of the stay but goodness knows how many plates I went through to find a clean one, how hard is it to check white plates to see if they are dirty before putting out for guests, could try cleaning the filter on the dishwasher.

And finally the bill, we had booked dinner, bed & breakfast and the room rate and description was clearly printed on the bill so I can only assume bills are not looked at before handing out as our bill had dinner added on again so they were expecting another £130 and wondered why we were not keen on paying.
Overpriced food and rooms, hope my daughter chooses another university or we will need to find an alternative hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

I am sorry that you found the rooms in need of decor and also for the strong smell that you experienced. We are always trying to improve the standards of our bedrooms and your comments regarding the smell has been passed onto the Head Housekeeper.

After checking both reservations unfortunately we were unaware that it was your Daughter’s 18th. I am unsure why we did not receive this information and we would of course have endeavoured to arrange something for your Daughter if we had been made aware.

Your comments regarding your meal and service in the Restaurant have also been noted and I would like to apologise for your evening being marred in such a way. Your comments have been discussed with both the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager together with your feedback regarding the service that you received from the Bar. This is not the usual level of service that we provide and re training will be implemented within both departments.

In addition there is no excuse for the plates to be dirty at breakfast and also for your bill being incorrect. Both shortfalls have been addressed with both department managers.

Once again my sincere apologies and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Very friendly staff. Spacious room and bathroom. Comfortable beds. Great breakfast buffet. Great pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna area. A 10 or 15 minute walk into town depending how fast you walk.
A little more expensive than other nearby hotels but worth the extra money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer C
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic feedback on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

You think "Hilton" you think quality, wrong, this was a second rate hotel which should have charged second rate ......rates! The room was small and pokey, the carpet was disgusting, the bathroom was grotty, needed re - sealing every where!
Yes the Breakfast was fabulous, so why let them selves down else ware, they had the floor up in the entrance when we went which caused havoc for a wheelchair customer, who couldn't get out, the adhesive they were using was left for several hours with the lid off so the whole place stunk to high heaven, i think that was the only reason the staff were smiling. We went out in to the city centre and the glue was still sat in the same place when we came back, so no exaggeration there truly! We had gone to see Nickle back & Dautry in concert the night before, and saw them leave the Hotel to go to the venue, how disappointing for them, as they were on the same level as us, and the room service staff couldn't stop giving details about them, so no privacy or hiding which room they were in then......i'm sure the Hotel promotes that?
I have stayed at several other Hilton hotels, this was the worst so far, try the cheaper option

Room Tip: No comment just go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on this website and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in September 2012.

Your comment regarding the size of the bedroom has been taken on board and I am sorry that you found this too small. Cleanliness of the room however should be of a high standard and I am sorry that on this occasion this fell below your expectations ; your comments have been discussed with the Head Housekeeper.

I would also like to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to the floor in our lobby area being varnished. I do understand that there may have been a strong smell from the varnish but I can assure you that at no point was the floor raised.

The confidentially of all our guests is paramount and we will never disclose guest information. Re training will take place with all staff members regarding the importance of this.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Visited Sheffield for a long weekend. Chose the Hilton based on their reputation and previous experience. Wished I'd gone for the Mercure or a Premier Inn.
First the good news - the car park and breakfast were excellent. Now the bad news. The room was dirty, uncomfortable and badly laid out. Bed was on one side of the room and the alarm clock on the other. No power points anywhere near the bedside tables so couldn't plug in my iPod. Ended up buying an extension lead. Chairs in the room were uncomfortable. It's also in the middle of an industrial area and a long way from the city centre so once you're there, there is nowhere to go. Restaurant was overpriced and very average.
Overall, I wouldn't give it more than a 3 out of 10.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

Firstly I was glad to read that you enjoyed your breakfast and your great feedback has been shared with the team.

I was disappointed to read however that you found the rest of your stay not as you had expected. I am sorry that the room was dirty and your comments have been addressed with the Head Housekeeper. Your comments regarding the alarm clock and layout of the room have also been taken on board.

The hotel is based just outside of the City Centre along the Victoria Quays Canal with a 10-15 minute walk into the City. I am sorry that you found our location unsuitable.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Did not stay at the hotel, but had a meal there (could not find The Quays restaurant on tripadvisor to review it so I'm just reviewing it under the hotel) one night with my boyfriend. We had a gourmet card that gave us a 50% discount on food and so we thought it was a pretty good deal. We didn't have very high expectations to begin with but we figured the food at a restaurant at a pretty reputable hotel should be decent. Unfortunately, it was ultimately disappointing. Nothing about dinner was acceptable. My salmon was so overcooked, it was shocking. My boyfriend's venison wellington was dry and tough, and the gravy was as good as the instant types you get from a supermarket. They also served him soured asparagus, which was absolutely unacceptable. Needless to say, we didn't bother looking at the dessert menu. Never returning ever again, even if the food was free.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

Your comments regarding your meal have been noticed and I can only apologise for the poor standard of food that you received. Your comments have been discussed with the Head Chef as this is not the standard we strive to achieve. I am sure that the staff members would have rectified this for you should they also have been made aware of any problems.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

me and my girlfriend stayed here on valentines day for the night we had the 2nd floor with the balcony , the room was brilliant very clean and very modern , balcony was brilliant with the building across from us with the flashing lights had a nice cup of tea in the morning which topped it off , bed was comfy we slept fine , easy check in and out very fast , staff are very friendly and helpful , bath room was clean , me and my girlfriend are very pleased with it at a good price and brilliant service we are definitely staying here again soon just hope we get the balcony again :)

Room Tip: ask for a balcony was brillaint for a cuppa in the morning nice and relaxed

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is always such a pleasure to recieve such positive feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Sheffield.