“Excellent Hilton Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hilton Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Maybe I was influenced by the not so great stay I had in a London Hilton just 2 days before, but this one was much much better.

Service on reception was fantastic, one lady even let me off the parking charge which was very nice of her as I had been waiting because the parking machine was out of order. Parking is only £6 a night which is good value anyway for a hotel fairly close to the city centre. I was given a room on the top floor away from the lift, just as I request on my HHonors room preferences which was nice, as they don't always take these into account.

The room was big, airy, bright, clean, and modern. The bed was MASSIVE and I got a great nights sleep - so good infact I overslept and was late for my meeting so missed breakfast! Wifi in the room worked very well, it isn't free unless you are a Gold or Diamond member - it still frustrates me that free wifi isn't standard in the UK like it is in much of Europe and all the US - but you can log in as a BT customer which was great as I didn't have to pay.

A great predictable stay in a Hilton Hotel, I wish they were all like this :)

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the service at reception fantastic and you also enjoyed your bedroom.

Your feedback regarding WIFI has also been noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Farnborough, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here on the 1st September so that we could see the city of Sheffield.
Despite paying for a double double room, we were only allocated a standard twin with a balcony, although this was not really a problem.
We went to the bar and asked if they did any non-alcoholic cocktails, the answer was no. It was clear that the cocktails were not made 'fresh' since we could see the pre-made mixtures in the fridge behind the bar!
The rooms were comfortable, although cold in the evening. There was a party on until about midnight on the night we stayed, which we were not informed about, meaning it was difficult to sleep...
We went down to breakfast at 8.30 (served 7-10) and it was as if we were there at 10.30 - the juice was run out, the beans & eggs looked old and dry. It also took very long to get my daughter a glass of water!
The staff were young on the breakfast duty, and spent their time complaining about the number of napkins people used and gossiping about how much people were eating!

The spa was very nice and staff were friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for completing a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that the breakfast food did not look fresh upon arrival at the restaurant and your feedback will be addressed with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager. Your feedback regarding the service will also be addressed; please be assured this is not relfetcive of our usual high standards.

I would also like to apologise for the poor service that you received at the bar; this will also be discussed with the Bar Manager in order for him to speak to his team.

Your feedback regarding noise has also been noted and I am sorry for any disturbance caused.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

It wasn't a particularly hot day but the room was still quite warm when I entered. Switched the fan (on which definitely helped) but with the window barely able to open more than a couple of inches, not much fresh air was coming in. The window is secured from opening further by a simple metal plate and single screw so, I am sure more frequent visitors probably turn up with a screwdriver.

Other than the warmth of the room temperature, eveything else was generaally fine - the bed was comfortable and the road noise wasn't too bad during the evening. Unfortunately, the morning was a different affair and what sounded like big trucks on a building site woke me up at around 6:30am.

The breakfast buffet was fine and even though there were quite a few members of staff milling around, they often did not spot people trying to attract their attention. In my own case, I had to ask three different waiting staff if they could get me my coffee which took almost 10m to eventually turn up.

This hotel is a stone's throw from the nearby Holiday Inn (see one of my other reviews) and when in the area I would probably return to the Hilton.

Likes
+ Comfortable room of a nice size
+ Prompt room service, reasonable portion sizes
+ Good breakfast buffet

Dislikes
- No air-con, single fan ineffective
- No salt in the salt-cellar (sealing cap missing)
- No mini-bar (as far as I could tell)
- Water at just under £4 a bottle (placed diplomatically on your work desk)
- Truck noises at 6:30am

Room Tip: Anything away from the building site.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and overall I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that our bedrooms do not have air conditioning and I am happy to note that the fan did help with the high temperature. The window does contain a safety lock however this can be removed upon request.

I would also like to apologise for the poor service that you received at breakfast and please be assured I have addressed this with the Restaurant Manager.

I am glad to see that you will return back to Hilton and I hope we are able to welcome you back to Sheffield again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Hilton is in a nice location in Sheffield. The rooms are spacious, the bed big and comfortable,. The bathroom in great condition but perhaps although refurbed still a little dated.
Staff was great - very friendly and I really enjoyed the breakfast which was very fresh.
There is no aircon which is normally in UK but as it is a little warmed than usual it would have been a nice to have.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on this website.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and your great feedback regarding the bedroom and bathroom has been noted.

It is unfortunate that our rooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I am sorry for any discomfort that this caused.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Found the Hilton Sheffield to be a home from home. It was old fashioned without being tired and it was modern without being cold. It was Home from Home. Staff excellent, friendly and (in most cases) very efficient. Rooms are clean and fresh. Food was fab. I will be be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the hotels feel and it was just like home from home.

We look forward to seeing you back at the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I would just like to thank The Hilton Hotel and all of the staff for one of the most enjoyable stays I have had. The staff were warm and friendly, always a smile and very helpful. The afternoon tea and evening meal were of excellent quality as was the breakfast, this was made all the more enjoyable by the excellent staff from the food and beverage section. The room was of high quality, very clean and comfortable, the bathroom was also maintained to a high standard and came with a variety of bath accessories. Whilst there you have access to the Livingwell Health Club with gym, swimming pool, sauna, spa and steam room all of which are excellent. I would certainly recommend this warm and friendly Hotel.

Room Tip: You can choose a room with a view over the Victoria Quays even a room with a veranda overlooking the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your brilliant review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed everything about your stay and thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again very soon!

York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Typical Hilton. Great location, lovely rooms. A bit noisy, but to be expected city centre. Great breakfast as always, self service. Service good, could do with some soft close doors around the place as people on move late and early but overall very good.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and your great feedback has been shared with the team.

I am sorry however for any noise experienced from the doors and we are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.