“27th and 28th December 2013”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stay in Sheffield to visit relatives and so the Hilton was perfectly placed. The room was spacious and very clean as was the bathroom. We didn't have either breakfast or dinner but ate out. We did however have a coffee in the bar although I doubt I will have another until the coffee machine is cleaned - didn't notice how grubby it was until later. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows, if you like soft that is. It would have been good to have the café open as mentioned by ARG1UK who stayed the same 2 nights as us. We also noticed noise, but we were on the 5th floor so not an issue. We will probably stay again, nothing to put us off.

Room Tip: Don't be tempted by lower floors and balconies unless you don't mind noise. We were on the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and I am glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.

The coffee machine is cleaned on a regular basis however in light of your comments I have asked for additional cleaning to take place.

As mentioned previously it is unfortunate that Costa was closed over the festive period and I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused.

I am pleased to see that you would like to return to the Hilton in Sheffield.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel for a weekend as part of a family party of 10. My elderly father required extra help and assistance and the staff couldn't do enough for us which we were very grateful for as it made the weekend much more enjoyable for all of us.
Both bedrooms and bathrooms were spacious and the beds very comfortable.We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first night and had a very enjoyable meal, although a little pricey.
It was a short walk to the centre of town and the younger members of our party visited the Tropical Butterfly House in North Anston, a 20 min drive away, which they thoroughly enjoyed and seemed good value for money.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for its welcome and customer service

Room Tip: If staying at the weekend it is worth having a room on a higher floor as the function rooms can be q...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great comments on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback has been shared with all departments and we hope to see you all again very soon at the Hilton Sheffield.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel rooms were perfectly adequate and clean. Family room slept 4 adults on two doubles (no sofa bed) which was a great advantage. Staff were mostly helpful. Breakfast buffet choice was huge, made pancakes and omelettes to order, breakfast staff very friendly. We also ate at the quays restaurant, food ok but v expensive - £17 for Caesar salad with chicken, nice but not worth it. Location very central to Sheffield.

Stayed: December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review on this website.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and your comments regarding the menu prices have been taken on board.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed here December 27th & 28th whilst visiting relatives in Sheffield. I'd booked it online and arrival and check in was good as you would expect with Hilton.

Our room (A Double Double) had some issues though and wasnt to normal Hilton standards but the desk staff and manager dealt with them efficiently, and gave us a drinks voucher for the bar. The drinks voucher However was for only one free drink and not 2 and given we were a couple it seemed a little odd. Perhaps an oversight?

The room its self was ok, the good points were that the beds are fantastic and very comfy, crisp clean sheets were fantastic. The balcony was a nice touch giving a nice view of the Canal and narrow boats. The only thing to let this room down (229) was the bathroom could do with some updating as the bath had chipped enamel on the base and it had some paint peeling from the bathroom ceiling, so a lick of paint and a new bath wouldn't go a miss. It let the room down a little given the other good points.

We put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, but that made little difference, we must have had the rowdy crowd on our floor as it was obvious they didn't really care about the noise and I'm sure non of them could read! On Saturday there was also a wedding celebration with disco that went on until 1am.

As has been mentioned in other reviews the noise from these was clear and loud on the 2nd floor, we called reception and they did offer to give us a room on a higher floor to help which was nice, but when your already in bed the last thing you want is to get dressed and re pack everything to move room. The offer was there though.

We found the best option was to put ear plugs in and that meant we could sleep. Not ideal though.

Perhaps Hilton could pop a calendar on the site as to when functions are booked and that way you can make a decision and book accordingly?

We went into the bar for some breakfast, as the hotel café was closed all through the xmas period and into the new year which was unexpected. Its a major hotel at the end of the day and an option of something other then the £10 Hilton breakfast would have been good. But I guess people need a break and if the café isn't run or owned by Hilton then that's that but they ought to have it in their contract that it remains open over the festive period perhaps?

We did however go to the bar (1st floor) and on both mornings had tea, coffee and croissants (I had to ask for them as they aren't advertised. The first day we didn't in the end pay for them as they took 20+ minutes to arrive and on the 2nd day they arrived on time, however they were cold, Heated croissants are nicer and even though there were 2 of us both days, we got 3 croissants which seemed strange. Also it would have been nice to have a selection of jams and some marmalade instead of all the same flavour. I did however mention it to reception and hopefully it will be noted in future and will change. They also waived out car park fee as a gesture of goodwill, thank you for that.

I'm not put off by staying here again, in fact I've already booked for April, the value is good but the Hilton standards I've seen elsewhere around the world have dropped a little here. Perhaps it was just a glitch? I hope so.

Thanks to the staff and managers though who did try their best.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor if staying the weekend perhaps and make use of the pool & gym.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ARG1UK

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry for the initial problem you encountered after check in and we are doing all that we can to improve our bathrooms.

I would also like to apologise for any noise experienced; soundproofing is continually being updated in the hotel.

Unfortunately Costa was closed during the festive period however food and beverage could be purchased in The Quays Bar on the first floor. Your feedback regarding the delay in service has been noted however and shared with the relevant departments. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

I am glad that overall you did enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield in April.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is extremely comfortable and within easy walking distance of the railway station and city centre. The restaurant was a little pricy for evening meal but the breakfast is as you woukd expect.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield and found the hotel in a good location for the train station.

Your feedback regarding the menu prices and breakfast have been noted.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I've stayed here twice in the last month. Once on a Friday/Saturday; the other on a Sunday night.
The weekend stay check in was straight forward and quick, and the room on the 5th floor was spacious and clean. Tea and coffee making was plentiful and all seemed excellent. The downside was to come later, when the people in the room next door returned. Could here them loudly chatting and getting ready. Possibly due to the fact the rooms had adjoining doors. This was even worse later when music was coming from somewhere and our room nieghbours returned presumably drunk and were loud and then unwell, all heard through the bedroom wall. I'm not sure what complaining at reception would have acheived in this situation.
The gym and pool were excellent; didn't eat or drink in the hotel but the spaces to do so looked clean and comfortable. On check out we asked to leave our bags, which was agreed but then we were left standing for ages waiting for the guy to come and open the room. He popped back and suggested I just left them by the door, but with laptops and valuables in them and his disappearing act I wasn't keen. Finally left with no issues - but a similar delay on return to collect them as no-one at the desk.

Sunday stay was more positive. I arrived late after delayed trains, and although service at reception was not the quickest and twice the guy was called away by a colleague (if it was me I'd have got me checked in first!). However the night manager was very friendly and efficient when he appeared. Got me checked in and upgraded as it was a quiet night. Not sure on any big differences to a standard room, but I slept really well and felt relaxed before going to work. Gym was again excellent and checkout was fast.

Shame about the noise issues - seems to be a major factor in several reviews. If not for this I would rate at Very Good instead of average. Especially given the increased cost at weekends.

Room Tip: If they have them - ask for one with no adjoining door!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stays at the Hilton Sheffield overall however I would like to apologise for any noise experienced. We will always do our best to deal with any noise complaints and soundproofing is continually being improved in the hotel.

Your feedback regarding the service at Reception has also been noted and shared with the Front Office Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Great warm welcome and very comfortable hotel. Convenient for exploring across South Yorkshire. The Hilton breakfast is always good everywhere - and it is here. Enormous properly sized bath v good. Proper gym as well.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your fantastic review regarding Hilton Sheffield, from the warm welcome to location.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon.