I didn’t pick the best time to arrive at the Sheffield Hilton. At 18.00 on Saturday it was impossible to park at the front door as the entrance area was cluttered with limousines and private hire cars.
The luggage trolley wasn’t immediately available as it was being used by a supplier bringing in equipment for a wedding through the front door and to increase my level of irritability the car park was completely full. Fortunately, with the help of an obliging receptionist we were able to park and the trolley eventually became available.
The hotel itself was interesting bearing in mind it is in the city centre. Although a typical slab of bricks there is a feeling of space as it is not overshadowed by other buildings. The rear of the hotel was built to incorporate the original railway arches at the side of the Victoria Quay which is at the end of a canal and lined with narrow boats which gives an industrial picturesqueness to the setting.
Reception and coffee bar are on the ground floor and Restaurant and bar on first floor. New carpets had just been fitted to the corridor. Congratulations on the quality and pattern choice.
The room was of adequate size and reasonably furnished and comfortable with various extras one has become used to having in Hilton Hotels. The one exception was air conditioning although a fan was available in the wardrobe.
An interesting gift was placed on the coffee table of a white ceramic plate with a welcoming message hand written in chocolate, a container of dipping chocolate and a skewer with marshmallows and strawberries. This was a nice touch, slightly marred by the fact it was not protected in any way although in fairness that did not stop me eating it. The fact the outside of the dipping chocolate container wasn’t clean was more worrying.
The hotel is busy and may well hold more than one wedding at a time so don’t be surprised if there are unsupervised children running around both outside and in public areas until very late in the evening.
Breakfast was to the usual Hilton high standard and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the morning chef who on request conjured-up a tasty mushroom omelette. Low point of breakfast was the single Twining tea bag in the pot when I had hoped for some quality Yorkshire tea. Irritant at breakfast was the poor placing of the delivered tea pot, on the far side of the table with the handle facing away exuding either a couldn’t care less attitude or poor training. That said, all the staff from deputy manager to housekeepers were very pleasant and helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Sheffield hotel enjoys an ideal quayside location next to Victoria Quays, two minutes’ walk from Sheffield city center. This Sheffield hotel is 15 minutes from the M1 and 10 miles from the Peak District National Park. The hotel’s central location provides easy access to Sheffield’s main attractions like the Meadowhall shopping center and Sheffield Arena. Complimentary WIFI in public areas and 24 hour gym access for hotel guests is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hilton EMEA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Sheffield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Sheffield Hotel Sheffield
- Hilton International Sheffield
- Sheffield Hilton International
- Hilton Hotel Sheffield