I stayed at the Hilton Sheffield in November 2009 for business; the Hilton chain is one that my company prefers to use.
The hotel is not especially impressive from the outside; a typical block building, set in a run-down, nearly derelict part of Sheffield. Finding the hotel was difficult due to the poor road layout in Sheffield; there are a couple of signs once you get within 200 yeards of the hotel, and without them I simply wouldn't have found it.
I parked in a large car park next to the hotel. WARNING: this car park is NOT associated with the hotel! This car park charges you £3 each time you leave it. The hotel car park (which is NOT signposted) charges you £5 a day. Both of these are a rip-off in this day and age. NOT GOOD!
The reception of the hotel was a typical Hilton - bright, clean and welcoming. Checkin was fast and efficient.
The room itself was good - clean, refurbished, everything working! TV was a large LCD with FreeView. Internet was supplied by IBAHN at £12.50 for 24 hours access - ridiculous in this day and age! NOT GOOD!
The hotel has a swimming pool and spa for guests to use. The changing rooms are clean, and the pool is a good size. The spa also has a sauna, jacuzzi and steam room - pretty good!
In the evening we went to the bar for a light snack. There is a bar menu which we ordered from - I chose the Hilton "classic" burger at £12.50. My colleague ordered a burger at the same time. When my burger arrived, the chips were underdone and practially cold, whilst the bruger was black and charred beyond belief. Straight back to the kitchen with that! A replacement came which was not much better. My colleague's burger (ordered at the same time) came 30 minutes later - absolutely baking hot from where it had obviously just been microwaved! This was a constant theme with the food in the Hilton - overpriced, badly cooked rubbish. NOT GOOD!
Breakfast the following morning was included in the price, and was not great . Although the selection was excellent - cooked, cereals, fruit, cold meats, etc - the quality of the cooked items was poor, with frequently overcooked meat and eggs. Service wasn't great it has to be said - the staff looked permanently hacked off and a couple were downright surly.
When we checked out, the staff mistakenly booked £5 per night for my stay, despite me staying at the car park which has nothing to do with the hotel! It took several calls to get a refund. NOT GOOD!
I can't recommend this hotel.
Good pool and spa facilites
Awful food, ridiculous prices for it
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hilton Sheffield hotel enjoys an ideal quayside location next to Victoria Quays, two minutes’ walk from Sheffield city center. This Sheffield hotel is 15 minutes from the M1 and 10 miles from the Peak District National Park. The hotel’s central location provides easy access to Sheffield’s main attractions like the Meadowhall shopping center and Sheffield Arena. Complimentary WIFI in public areas and 24 hour gym access for hotel guests is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Sheffield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Sheffield Hotel Sheffield
- Hilton International Sheffield
- Sheffield Hilton International
- Hilton Hotel Sheffield