“Bad location, poor service, you can do better for the price.”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Sheffield in November 2009 for business; the Hilton chain is one that my company prefers to use.

The hotel is not especially impressive from the outside; a typical block building, set in a run-down, nearly derelict part of Sheffield. Finding the hotel was difficult due to the poor road layout in Sheffield; there are a couple of signs once you get within 200 yeards of the hotel, and without them I simply wouldn't have found it.

I parked in a large car park next to the hotel. WARNING: this car park is NOT associated with the hotel! This car park charges you £3 each time you leave it. The hotel car park (which is NOT signposted) charges you £5 a day. Both of these are a rip-off in this day and age. NOT GOOD!

The reception of the hotel was a typical Hilton - bright, clean and welcoming. Checkin was fast and efficient.

The room itself was good - clean, refurbished, everything working! TV was a large LCD with FreeView. Internet was supplied by IBAHN at £12.50 for 24 hours access - ridiculous in this day and age! NOT GOOD!

The hotel has a swimming pool and spa for guests to use. The changing rooms are clean, and the pool is a good size. The spa also has a sauna, jacuzzi and steam room - pretty good!

In the evening we went to the bar for a light snack. There is a bar menu which we ordered from - I chose the Hilton "classic" burger at £12.50. My colleague ordered a burger at the same time. When my burger arrived, the chips were underdone and practially cold, whilst the bruger was black and charred beyond belief. Straight back to the kitchen with that! A replacement came which was not much better. My colleague's burger (ordered at the same time) came 30 minutes later - absolutely baking hot from where it had obviously just been microwaved! This was a constant theme with the food in the Hilton - overpriced, badly cooked rubbish. NOT GOOD!

Breakfast the following morning was included in the price, and was not great . Although the selection was excellent - cooked, cereals, fruit, cold meats, etc - the quality of the cooked items was poor, with frequently overcooked meat and eggs. Service wasn't great it has to be said - the staff looked permanently hacked off and a couple were downright surly.

When we checked out, the staff mistakenly booked £5 per night for my stay, despite me staying at the car park which has nothing to do with the hotel! It took several calls to get a refund. NOT GOOD!

I can't recommend this hotel.

PROS
Good pool and spa facilites
Good rooms

CONS
Bad location
Awful food, ridiculous prices for it
Poor service

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank coopuk
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was disappointed to hear of the poor standard of food and service that you experienced during your recent stay at the Hilton Sheffield. Your comments have been passed onto the relevant Heads of Department in order for your observations to be investigated.

I was happy to see however that you did enjoy our Livingwell facilities and found our bedrooms to be of a good standard.

Once again I am sorry that your stay was marred in such a way and I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield to prove that we can do better.

Reviewed 4 November 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Sheffield Hilton a couple of times for weekend breaks. The hotel is large, with good recently renovated rooms.

The hotel has an excellent pool and leisure facility (one of the reasons we have returned here).

The location is good, only a short walk from the nearest tram stop and city centre. The hotel has ample parking albeit at an extra charge.

The hotel bar is spacous and has sofas for relaxing on.

All in all nice hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T0mmy2
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am always happy to note that you enjoyed your recent stay here at the Hilton Sheffield.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 October 2009

We stopped at the Hilton in Sheffield in January this year (but have only just got round to writing the review!) for my Brothers wedding as it was being held at the hotel. I couldn't fault one thing about the hotel or it's staff. They went out of their way when we made a couple of requests and the rooms were lovely too. I would definitely recommend this for a stay and a wedding venue. The wedding service and reception were great, couldn't fault it at all.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank thefaz1985
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am always happy to note that you enjoyed your stay and your brother's wedding here at the Hilton Sheffield.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and your comments will be passed onto all members of staff concerned.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

I don't really know why, but I really enjoy my stays at the Hilton Sheffield. It's small, neat and compact, but it does the job. I have stayed there a fair few times and returned this past weekend for another stay.

I was on the 4th floor in a clubroom facing the quays. Very good view and I enjoyed the good service. I had decided to go swimming in the Living Well healthclub, which was ok, except for the tons of kids and the rather damp-smelling changing areas.

The staff was excellent. Both check-in and check-out were swift and when I requested a taxi, one appeared within 5 minutes.

Overall a good hotel, a great location and a perfect place to stay when in South Yorkshire.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Ascottowers
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I am always happy to note that you enjoy your stays here at the Hilton Sheffield. I will however pass your comments onto the Livingwell Manager for action straight away.

Once again it is always a pleasure to receive such good feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 October 2009

We purhased a 'mystery hotel' deal for 2 nights at what me and my partner thought was a great deal. Once we found out it was a Hilton Hotel we were looking forward to the prospect of staying there.

The reception area is lovely with marble floors etc and the staff were friendly. However, once we had checked in and made our way in to the room we were not impressed. The room was very outdated in decor, not what was expected of a Hilton or a 4 star!

The floor was dirty, it needed a good hoover as there were hairs all over the floor. The bed was broken, it was a split bed which is meant to hook together in the centre, however one of the hooks was missing as well as one of the wheels! The room was also an ex-smoking room of which there was a cigarette burn on the telephone plus we requested a non smoking room to be placed opposite what seemed to be smoking rooms which was unpleasant as you entered the corridor on our floor.

The bathroom was also a disspointment, there were hairs on the towels and in th bath as a well as the bath not being cleaned well enough due to the mould and there was a lack of ventilation.

My partner and I thought the spa/swimming pool area may be of some consolation, but it was not. The changing areas were not a pleasant or clean experience and the steam room and sauna were nothing impressive.

It is a shame that this hotel is so dissapointing as it is in a lovely location by Victoria Quays and if the hotel was up to standard then this whole area could be maximised and be a thriving leisure area. The hotel is in the centre, but I think until the centre starts its regeneration programme in this part of the city ,this hotel will still be a dissapointment.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neonpinkflamingo
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I was disappointed to hear of the shortfalls in cleanliness that you experienced on this occasion. I can assure you that I have spoken to both departments involved and a more robust cleaning schedule is now taking place.

I was happy to hear however that you did find my staff helpful and friendly; it is always a pleasure to receive such feedback.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield to prove that we can do better.

Reviewed 13 September 2009

I stayed at the Hilton Sheffield on Thursday the 10th of September. Initial check in was fine - was never asked if I wanted a newspaper or a wake up call, but I was given directions to my room. Room on first look was ok and spacious. My main grumble is the cleanliness of the room. There were several long hairs on my bed and in the bathroom numerous pubic hairs on the floor from the previous guests. The bathroom is somewhat shawdy and in need of a makeover. I ordered room service and ordered a healthy choice dinner - which promptly came with chips - which I couldn't eat and felt hungry half an hour later. The lady who brought the room service had splilled my glass of red wine on the tray. All in all this is not what I would expect of a Hilton - the hairs in the bathroom were disgusting. On top of that I had to pay for parking - I should of stayed at the Holiday Inn across the road.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank chilleruk
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

First and foremost I would like to apologise for the poor standard of cleanliness that you experienced in the bathroom. This is not acceptable and full re training has taken place within the Housekeeping Department.

I was also disappointed to hear of the poor service that you received whilst ordering room service on this occasion. Once again re training has been implemented within that department to ensure that errors such as these do not happen again.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 September 2009

Just returned from 2 nights stay.
On check in the receptionist was extremely helpful, friendly and professional - as was every other member of staff we encountered during our stay
We had a room on the 4th floor which had a nice view of the canal basin and the moored narrowboats. The room was very clean, tidy and had most of the facilities one could wish for. The bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast was excellent with a good variety of hot buffet and cold items.
The Living Well Spa facilities are great.

The only small minus points which have been mentioned by previous reviewers were the lack of any air conditioning (the room got rather warm) and the lack of wifi.
Like all other Hiltons we've stayed at the cost of internet access is exorbitant but it really is a minor irritation but one which Hilton really should address.

All in all, a good hotel ideal for exploring Sheffield and beyond.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob H
GM_HiltonSheffield, Hotel Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2009

Thank you for your comments on this website.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding air conditioning and the ventilation issue is one that we are currently looking into at the moment. However, you can be assured that we have installed fans to all our bedrooms for extra ventilation.