“Could try better”

Best Western Plus Mosborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for two nights as I had business in the area .
Arriving at the hotel first impressions were good friendly staff and a nice looking hotel.
Room was small but clean and functional .
When it came to climbing into bed later that's when things were not so good the bed was so soft it felt like I was sinking into a bowl of jelly much too soft for my liking .
Next morning after a poor nights sleep it was time for breakfast having sampled the room service the night before I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't disappointed the breakfast was luke warm and the scrambled eggs watery beyond belief.

With the hotel being a fair distance outside of Sheffield when my colleague joined me later it was with fear that we headed for the restaurant . However the fear soon vanished after the starter arrived the food within the restaurant was as good as I've eaten anywhere.

So a mixed bag really charming and helpful staff , lovely building let down by a poor breakfast and soft beds.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Staff were very friendly and the hotel and around it is very beautiful. The room was clean and ok, but the bed was very, very soft, not very comfortable for me. Anyway, the global result was good enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and was really disappointed with Mosborough Hall.
Whilst it is situation is a beautiful setting and the buildings themselves are idyllic, the staff and standards are not up to scratch at all.

In Summary:
The bedrooms and function rooms have no AC or fans. There is no airflow in the bedrooms in particular as the windows only open 4inches wide. Be warned!

The breakfast standard were very poor. There is limited choice and cheap sausages/bacon are served. Full English is £12.50 which is nothing short of a rip off for what you are served.

The staff service levels in the function bar were disgraceful. The bar staff were young members of staff, who spent the whole evening lent on the bar or sitting down looking bored. They were miserable and served a drink to you with resentment all night.

Upon arriving I went into the function room which clearly smelt of sick.(I suspect from the night before!) I asked THREE times for someone to sort this out before the bride arrived! I was told by a member of staff there was 'Nothing they could do'. Eventually the floor was clean and miraculously the smell disappeared....

This could be a super venue but staff levels and standards really let Mosborough Hall down.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lucystorey
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We booked into Mosborough Hall Hotel for a Saturday night B&B while attending a friends 40th birthday nearby. We checked in mid afternoon on a very warm Saturday. We went straight up to our room to find it unbearably warm, with only a tiny window available to open (already open) and no air conditioning or fan available. As we were heading out for our friend's party we left the window open and closed the curtains in the hope that when we returned later the room would be cooler.

We came back to the room around 11pm and it was really hot. Impossible for either of us to sleep.

We went down to breakfast at 9:30 and I have to say this is by far the worst hotel breakfast we have ever had. There were no plates or bowls available at the diminished buffet breakfast area. When I asked a passing waitress if we could have some plates and bowls (quite a queue was forming) she was dismissive and said that they were very busy. We managed to get a glass for orange juice and took our seats. No buffet items were taken as after a long wait there were no plates or bowls produced.

The cooked breakfast was truly dreadful. I had the vegetarian cooked breakfast and my partner a full English. Vegetarian sausages were rock solid, cold and completely inedible. They were by far the worst veggie sausages I have ever been served. Fried eggs were cold and hard. Baked beans were cold. Overall a very poor experience all round.

We were left with a feeling that we had been ripped off as this was not an inexpensive option for us.

Room Tip: Choose an alternative hotel - especially in Summer as the room we chose was too hot to sleep in with...
3  Thank WozzaTLondon
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Went last night for dinner and food was beautiful, was unsure what to expect after reading reviews about the food, but everything we ate was lovely. Three of us had steak and they were all cooked to our liking and one of us had fish and chips which she said was great. Would definitely recommend the food and venue to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

my husband and I stayed here on 11th july for one night. when we arrived and were shown to our lovely room[211] it was very warm but didn't have air conditioning. when we were on a red letter day stay, which meant we had a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine. the menu was limited & so we chose starters that we didn't particularly want or enjoy. The main course was the same. My husband chose beef in red wine, accompanied by pasta, but what he actually got was spaghetti bolognese!. I chose pork steak on a bed of sweet potato mash, again I was dissappointed because it was just a big blob of sweet potato mash. I complained to the waitress who was concerned & went to see the chef & we were then sent a bottle of wine up to our room. This was very nice, but I feel that the food should be much better in a hotel of this standard. The breakfasts were equally dissappointing because they had obviously been kept warm & were overcooked. The staff were all lovely, but I have to wonder about the chef & his/her team in the kitchen.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here on a friday night, and although there was a wedding on i felt an incredibly peaceful & relaxed atmosphere. The room was spacious, clean, quiet & had great facilities. We ate in the restaraunt, staff were very polite.. starter, desert & wine were great but main course was very dissapointing. We would revisit this hotel, as we enjoyed our stay!