“Too Early for Breakfast”

Dam House Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #743 of 1,477 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The damhouse Sheffield is set within the tranquil surroundings of Crookes Valley Park and offers fantastic food, superb drinks and a welcoming atmosphere. It prides itself on offering great value for money but maintaining a high quality menu, modern décor and always helpful, friendly staff.When you visit the damhouse you will find amongst relaxed surroundings lots of room to sit as well as seven big tv's for you to watch all the latest sports.If you love food, good value drinks and a warm welcoming environment then you will love the damhouse.
Reviewed 31 August 2013

On a very sunny afternoon we went for a walk in the adjacent park. On a whim we called at the restaurant/bar and had a coffee. Reading the menu I noticed a large selection of different breakfast combinations. I thought, Hmmm... worth remembering...
A week later after a brief early visit to a nearby hospital (merely routine), I decided to call in for one of those breakfasts. It was ten o'clock and I was starving after my 12 hr. fast. The door was locked.
The guy at the other side said (in pidgin sign language) that they didn't open each day until 12. What price breakfast at noon?
Not to be defeated, I went on a sunny lunchtime and tried again. This time I got the breakfast! When it arrived it was large and looked sumptuous apart from the grease on the plate. That doesn't usually bother me but this grease was overcooked, as were the mushrooms, the busted eggs and the sausages.
As we walked away, the smell of the burnt grease followed us across the park like a fetid breath.
I think that prior to the cremation, or to be more fair, the holding of the aforementioned ingredients at a high temperature for a prolonged period while waiting for a customer, the quality of said ingredients would probably have been high enough to merit a mention.
Sorry Dam House. You have a beautiful location, especially when it's sunny, but my breakfast ensured that I am still searching for that perfect combination of aesthetic surroundings and good quality, well cooked food.

There are newer reviews for Dam House Bar and Restaurant

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Based on our experience, it was a pretty good evening. Although quite crowded, the bar staff seemed to know who should be next in line and were very efficient. Ordered food - Dam House Burger for me and veggie stuff for my daughter and her friend - barman sussed they were students and immediately discounted the bill which was nice as I didn't know any better. Meals were excellent but I have to say that I noticed one couple sent their plates back - I suspect they may have ordered steaks which are always very subjective as regards being rare, medium, well done etc. Didn't risk the Dam House Burger Challenge but might starve myself next time I'm in Sheffield! Excellent beer from the local brewery - definitely worth the visit.

2  Thank Seldomsober
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I visited the dam house about a week ago with four of my friends from work, it was a nice day so we decided to sit outside, can I say what I nice view we had of the lake. So we all sat down and ordered our drinks which we went to the bar for and was amazed at the prices of a pint, ill deffo be back for those amazball prices. About an hour later we decided to order food we were shocked at the size of the menu but delighted at the prices( little did we know the food would be great ) I ordered a salmon supreme with a portion of the best curly fries ever, great value for money my fellow colleagues from work all had pizza which were the best pizzas we had in Sheffield. If I may say that salmon was better than some of the rossette places I've been too. It's such as shame they don't have waiters as the food was bought out by this handsome young lad who must have worked at Gentings according to his top. Overall this place has great potential and i will deffo be back for more :)

2  Thank Foodcriticsheff
Reviewed 16 June 2013

What a strange experience this was. On arrival my family and I received a wonderful welcome from er... nobody. We had no idea where to go or what to do and there was no one available to ask. The bar was four deep with students so there was no way of asking there. After about five minutes we decided to sit in the restaurant and eventually collared the head waiter who said we needed to go to the (still packed) bar to order and to be given a table. Fair play, he collared the barman so I didn't have to wait too long but there was no where to stand to pay, there was only one till and there was no pen. So the barman, an extermely nice chap, would take my order, memorise half of it, go off to the till, come back to get the rest of the order and then go back to the solitary till, only to find that the other barman had overwritten the first half of my order. It was more funny than irritating but truly farcical nevertheless. Finally, I got back to the table and waited for the food. And, from this point on, the whole experience changed. The four pizzas were truly awesome - we had goats cheese and capers, smoked salmon, margherita and a meat feast. All were 10 out of 10 and huge. Not knowing how large the pizzas would be, we ordered the large platter to share. As an adult, I don't like chicken nuggets but the ones here were great, as was the rest of the platter. Would I recommend you go? Probably not as the poor service overrode the excellent food. So, Dear Dam House, spend some money, get some staff, sort yourself out and get yourself packed out as the best pizza place around. The food is already there!

2  Thank Jo1506hn
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Visited on 6th June at lunchtime. A very hot day so all the outside tables were full. Ordered a pizza to share with my daughter and, despite the fact the place was so busy, did not have to wait too long for it to arrive. Really enjoyed the meal - very generous with the toppings on a lovely stonebaked base - clearly homemade! Drinks prices very reasonable too.
Went back the following day for seconds and got a table in the sun!

1  Thank CrosspoolLynne