“Beautiful boutique hotel and ideal wedding venue”

Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I recently stayed at Aston Hall when a close friend of mine got married there and I am already planning to go back again for another visit. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and once through the gates you completely forget you are just a few minutes away from the motorway it is that tranquil and serene. The hotel is lovely looking from the outside and once you step inside you are greeted with a gorgeous entrance hall which sets the tone for the rest of the accommodation.

My friend's wedding was in the marquee which was simply breathtaking and the fairy lights behind the top table really finished it off. The day itself was one of the hottest of the year so far but the air conditioing units ensured that the wedding guests stayed as cool as could be. The food was beautiful, far better than the usual mass produced meals often served at weddings and the staff worked hard to ensure the food was delivered as promptly as humanly possible when catering for 70 guests. The wedding itself flowed wonderfully and the bride and groom had the perfect day that they had dreamed of.

Our room was amazing, we had booked an executive room as we wanted to make our stay special and we were not disappointed. The room was clean and comfortable and well worth the money we paid for it. Breakfast the following morning was lovely, the dining room was busy but that was to be expected when the hotel was catering for 2 weddings.

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Aston Hall and would definitely recommend it to anyone considering it for a future visit. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book an executive room to make your visit extra special
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank angelfisher

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable time at Aston Hall. We are thankful for the time you spared to share your views on the hotel with other travellers.
Hopefully we will have an opportunity for you to visit Aston Hall in the near future again, whether for a few drinks and a restaurant meal or maybe for a romantic weekend away.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

Stayed here a few times over the past few years... great location with excellent rooms! Would defiantly recommend to anyone, Easy access to M1 motorway and within minutes of Sheffield, my only gripe is that the Restaraunt is not open on a Sunday evening, thus leaving us to go elsewhere to eat...but overall excellent!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jmb0510

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about Aston Hall. We are happy to hear you are, overall, satisfied with the hotel.
The hotel restaurant is open until 5pm on a Sunday, and hot and cold bar meals are available afterwards.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Aston Hall sounds so Grand, yet that wasn't how we found it to be, we stayed here a few weeks ago at a friends wedding, and to be honest we thought the whole thing was rather shodily put together, our room was nice and breakfast was nice the hotel is nice, and Nice is ok if your prices reflect Nice, to me I expect Nice at Premier Inns , £50 a family room Nice.

This was a discounted room as a wedding guest and it was £120 so thats double a price of a premier inn and a few drinks in the bar difference to us, and yet there was nothing to justify that difference at all.

The economy has hit the UK hard and we are all looking at what we NEED to spend , on whats necessary and TBH this hotel is over priced for a service thats under delivered and we so wish we had not used the hotel to stay in.

The wedding itself was held in the marquee, which is obvioulsly a permenant fixture , the toilets for the marquee are actually potakabins that are attached , now there is no part of Fabulous Wedding that has ever or will ever be attached to portakabin loos, they are hollow, cheap and nasty, when you ventured out of the marquee with said portakabins attached you can see that the marquee was ROTTEN, it was covered in green mould, under the portakabins there was old bits of .....well all sorts really metal rusting, boxes and general rubbish! around the rubbish that was clearly visible, were the rodent boxes ,lovely....NOT.

THEN THERE WAS THE WEDDING SERVICE.
Oh my god ....where to start, after the bridal party came out of the attached chapel we were having photos done, as is the norm , when staff came out to move everybody away as the next wedding was due in.....how nasty....it was and felt like it was a production line....half an hour between weddings????are you serious, this i expect at a registrars not an apparently quality hotel...the wedding was around 1pm at 4 pm we went through to the marquee to eat , we thought we were going to die of starvation and with a toddler it wasnt fun.

Now let me explain the service time delays by half 4 we had been given a bread roll then the starter , then a further 1 hour and 30 minuets after the starter we got the main meal, then later the pudding, at 6.30pm , now in whos world of hospitality does it take so long to serve meals that are pre ordered months in advance ???? it was the worst wedding service i have ever attended, the maitre de even had to look at her paper to introduce the bride and groom by name, no personality, no interest, poor service that had every child crying with hunger which stressed the parents, was a horrible rotten farce.

I could not wish anyone to get married here it looked badly organised, dirty and the wait for food was painful.......NEVER EVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: keep on driving and find somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheCrackett-Bakers

Dear Guest,

I am sorry on this occasion we did meet with your expectations. However, the bride and groom decided on all the wedding arrangements, and our understanding is that the happy couple, as well as the bridal party, were all very satisfied with the hotel, services, food and the staff, as it was all delivered according to their requirements. We have, however, taken your comments on board and will be looking into the issues highlighted.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed here during the week. I would never stay here again. The staff on dutie need to be trained. Even trying to find out what time breakfast was seemed to be a challenge from resturant staff.

After my colleges had gone to bed I tried to order some food to take to my room only to be told by the overly tand lady behide reception that they don't do room service at this time (1am) as the chefs had gone home and theres never anything in anyway.

Around 2:30am I tried to contact reception to order a coffee as there seemed to be none available in my room. After trying for over 20 minutes I decided to go down and order it myself only to find no one around. After looking around I found the same lady from before asleep in the bar area. She woke up and said "what's up". I said can I order a coffee and she replied " as I said before there is no room service at this time".

My breakfast was not delivered to my room on time.
My alarm call never happened.
My paper was not delivered.

All in all the worst stay I've ever had I a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank Johnjohnson19
Raquel S, General Manager at Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Aston Hall on this occasion. The issues you have highlighted are not acceptable and I would appreciate if you could spare a minute to contact myself directly about this. We have already taken appropriate action with the people concerned. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

when we went for breakfast the tables had not been cleared, took over 30mins to get a cup of tea. buffet breakfast bar was not restocked, no cereals, croissants or cheese, staff unhelpfull and dismissive, would not recomend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kathy H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest feedback, and please accept once again my apologies for the issue you had with breakfast. You had already contacted the hotel directly about this, and adequate action/compensation was delivered. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

First the good news , the hotel itself is very smart. The rooms are excellent ,dinner in the restaurant was very good.breakfast was ok..
Sadly the night I was there it was quite chaotic they had a large birthday party function and the service was stretched beyond breaking point .long waits at the bar to order a drink ,all the menus were out with guests in the garden so people had to wait for them to finish,and I didn't get my newspaper that I ordered at check in always a cardinal sin for me.
Overall though the points are easy to fix with the right staffing levels.would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Just as I am glad to read you enjoyed the hotel as such, I am disappointed you experienced a few problems. We have already looked into the areas highlighted and implemented remedial measures. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.
Do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

We celebrated our Son and his Wife's wedding over the May Bank holiday weekend, wow, it was a fabulous occasion! Nothing was too much trouble for the Mangement and Staff of this wonderful hotel. They gave a very professional and friendly, un-obstrusive service throughout from the start of the weekend when they sorted a private dining area for a meal for 25 of the guests on the Friday night. Every email I sent prior to the event was answered within a very reasonable time frame and gave possible to solutions to any queries I had. Attention to detail was impressive - we placed table place names 15 minutes before service and when we sat down to start to eat the cutlery had been changed to reflect the meal orders! The rooms booked (in the West Wing) were all spotless and first class, very spacious and comfortable beds. The packages offered for the rooms were excellent value for money. The day itself went without a hitch, this was due to the efforts of all the staff involved. Everything happened without fuss and on-time. The grounds were well maintained and a wonderful backdrop for the photographs. We always felt very relaxed and the Bride and Groom had huge smiles on their faces, which says it all.Thank you all of you at Aston Hall!

Room Tip: The rooms in the West Wing (I think they are called Executive) which we booked for our guests attend...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read you, your family and friends had an enjoyable time at Aston Hall, especially for such a memorable occasion! Your kind words make us all proud!
We hope to be able to welcome you again at the hotel and hopefully have a glance at those smiley photographs!