“The service was brilliant”

Alara Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #19 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The room and facilities were basic but adequate. What I loved about it was the friendly welcome and the ladies who cooked and served breakfast. They were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Avoid this if you have any difficulty with stairs. Despite our room facing the street, it was surpri...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I've stayed here twice for work purposes. I wanted somewhere cheap and basic to lay my head. I now wish I'd paid a little more. There are much better places for similar prices. This hotel has horribly steep stairs, old decor, one of the rooms I stayed in had mis-matched wall paper with damp on it. The TV didn't work properly and the bed was uncomfortable. If this really is the option as a hotel, I'd advise you to spend as little time in it as possible. To be fair to the staff, they are very friendly, but I can't help but feeling this place should be featured on an edition of "The Hotel Inspector" on TV.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LloydieJL
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I stayed here for one night,and to be honest cannot find fault.the host was very freindly and welcoming,the room was nice and clean with lcd tv,a wash basin,tea and coffee making facilities,ample storage for clothing etc and secure car parking.i found the alara on late rooms,and decided to call to check the location as i was travelling to sheffeild from st helens to bring my daughter home from sheffeild uni for christmas,and wanted to check how near it was to her student apartment(about 5 mins drive)and found that it was slightly cheaper to book over the phone than on the website! i found the full english very satifying,and overall excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed here for 1 night while we went drinking in the Wicker area then to a gig after. the welcome was extremely warm and efficient, the owner very helpful & friendly.

the whole place is clean & in good order, the breakfast was very nice, although I personally prefer butter to healthy sunflower stuff. ;)

Our room wasn't en suite and the clean toilets & showers were one floor down. No problem for a sprightly young fella like me ir my even younger girlfriend but if you're elderly or lazy or ill you'll struggle with the stairs as they are very steep.

Overall excellent. I'll definitely be back. You even get a map of Sheffield and free wireless.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I have to be fair and can't give this an average despite the courteousness and approachability of management. I spent a weekend there on the second floor. The stairs are so steep they were the next best thing to a ladder I can think of. The decor is tired and worn and I had to share toilet and shower facilities on another floor. I could not connect to the internet despite given the access code, the link was too low. Good points are a full english breakfast thrown in. Parking facilities and a 5 minute walk to the tram station. I cant say enough for the friendliness of management and the hours they put in to make things run. I paid £45 per night. If I go back it will be to see the management in the hope they have improved the decor.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Alara and agree 100% with the post written by johnson072 (I too stayed at a Premier Inn 6 weeks previously) but will choose and recommend Alara in the future. The management and staff are all friendly, courteous and approachable, nothing was too much trouble for them, they made time in their hectic schedules to chat, assisting me in navigating my way around Sheffield and ensuring I had everything I needed during my stay. I did feel it was like home from home, something I miss when staying in large, multi-national, clinical, no character hotel. There are not many places you visit, when you arrive after getting lost for half an hour, you are taken into their own kitchen and made a cup of coffee to de-stress!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Friendly polite service room was above standard and the food was excellent, recently stayed at a premier inn and will be going back to the alara instead next time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple