“Family wedding weekend”

Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Family wedding weekend”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for a family wedding which was held in this hotel/ conference centre. The venue was ideal for this & we had a lovely celebration.
The building has been refurbished to a high standard, the location and grounds are lovely. As others have said the staff are extremely friendly & helpful.

That said, there were however a few 'teething problems' with the hotel that need adressing
- There is an issue with the security staff, a taxi carrying an elderly lady was initially told to drop her off at the security barrier rather than being allowed to drive to the entrance (she was allowed in after some negotiation.) We were also reprimanded on our final morning by the security staff for not displaying a car park pass- this had not been mentioned at check in.
- The coffee/tea points in the corridor are an excellent idea but need more frequent attention. We found that the milk & cookie jars weren't replenished & that there was a shortage of clean cups & saucers on occassions.
- On the morning of the wedding, breakfast service was chaotic- some members of our party waited over an hour for their cooked breakfasts!

If more attention is paid to these details this hotel will be excellent & we would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Mercury28,

Great to read that the service you received from our staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and I absolutely appreciate all of your feedback and will make sure I touch base with the security staff to ensure a safe arrival for all of our guests. I had feedback from the breakfast service on the morning on the wedding and I can assure you this is not standard practice. I hope the next time you are in Sheffield you would come and see us again!

Laura.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my short stay at Halifax Hall – the welcome I got when I arrived on a wet, windy Monday night was fantastic. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful and room was lovely. The breakfast choice was extensive and the eggs Benedict that I finally chose was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Kate C,

So happy to read we made you feel super welcome on such a dreary day out! The pancakes are my favourite, but I agree, the eggs benedict are absolutely fantastic!

We hope to see you the next time you are in Sheffield,

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked this hotel for 3 nights as it is on the edge of the Peak District and looked very nice from the reviews ! On arrival on Friday afternoon we found that the hotel is on a University campus ! we were greeted by a young man at reception, the reception area itself can only be described as very similar to a hospital waiting area, the young student !! on reception was quite pleasant and he gave us our room keys. The rooms are very clean and the bed was quite comfortable if your staying on your own and have only 2 items of clothing that need hanging up in the wardrobe, it has to be the smallest room we have stayed in with very little light, no space to hang clothes, a door so heavy its virtually impossible to open, and the same drinking water not changed for 3 nights ! at 18.30hrs I asked where the bar was so I could drown my sorrows at the thought of spending 3 nights in this hotel, only to be told the bar was shut as we were the only people staying that night and the only drink available was from a fridge, 20 minutes later I still didn't have a drink because they couldn't find the key to unlock the fridge so I ended up having a Luke warm coffee from the machine which was surrounded by dirty used cups !!! we couldn't get out of the place quick enough to find somewhere to eat for dinner. Breakfast on the first morning this was set up in what can only be described as a hallway, the student waiter mumbled if we wanted to order and we asked for the full English this was ok but why is it served in a bowl what's wrong with a plate ? after breakfast we left for a day out but the receptionist called us back and asked us to leave our room key and also if we had enjoyed our stay which we found this strange as we still had another 2 nights to endure ! maybe they are not use to people returning for a second night. On our return in the evening the hotel seemed quite busy as parents come to stay to visit the there children at the university, I noted that the bar was open so looked forward to returning after dinner for a drink at the bar, when we returned at 22.30hrs the bar was closed !!! breakfast on the second morning was held in a room set out on computer tables with wheels which don't lock so you end up trying to hold the table while eating your food which this time was self serve and COLD. All in all this is the worst hotel we have stayed in its fine if you have a child at the university and are visiting for 1 night otherwise give it a wide berth

3 Thank Matthew S
Dear Matthew S,

I’m sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us.

Our hotel, although situated on University Campus has been very lucky to have hardly any, if any noise distractions from our surrounding neighbours, and our website does tell all of our guests where we are based. All of our deluxe double bedrooms offer king size beds. Although some are slightly smaller than others, the hotel itself has been transformed from University Halls accommodation to hotel bedrooms. I’m sorry you found the doors heavy to open, but as a hotel we have to have fire doors fitted for the safety of our guests.

I have touched base with all staff that worked during your stay, especially because you have stated that you were told the bar was shut. This is absolutely not the case, our residents license offers guests staying in our hotel a 24 hour bar. We don’t open the bar every night on lower occupancy, but it is table service so you are offered a much more personal experience.
I do apologise that you seem to have had a less than satisfactory breakfast experience. I can assure you this is not our standard.

Thank you for your feedback, it is always appreciated so we can monitor all aspects and areas within out new hotel.
Have a lovely day,
london
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Situated on the edge of Endcliffe Village ( Sheffield Univ student campus), this is a lovely old hotel with a conference centre attached. Great location for us as we were visiting our daughter who is a student at the Uni.

Lovely bedrooms and food ( we had Sunday lunch which was great). Hotel is recently refurbished and offers good value accommodation. Only gripe was that, for the three meals we ate, they were all in different rooms! The conference dining rooms need to be brought up to the high spec. of the other rooms.

I liked the idea of a coffee machine on each floor.

1 Thank Bolearth
Dear Bolearth,

Thank you for your very lovely review, I'm glad you especially enjoyed your Sunday dinner with us. The idea of having meals in different rooms is to really give our guests use of the whole building and to experience all of the different rooms.

Great to hear you enjoyed the coffee offering - we look forward to hopefully seeing you again on your next visit!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

we have just had lunch at this lovely new hotel in the student residential area. this is excellent accommodation and a wonderful sunday lunch, although we didn't stay at the hotel (we are local residents) the staff were only too pleased to show us all the facilities and the range of rooms which were of a very high standard and would recommend to anybody who would like to stay in the area attending the university/parents of students or even visiting Derbyshire.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear LynMichael,

Thank you for your lovely words! We always like to meet our neighbours, and we like even more seeing friendly faces! Why not come visit us in the festive season and try our Christmas Fayre lunches?

Have a wonderful evening,
Oswestry
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Only open a few months so the place is immaculate. Based ON the campus of Sheffield University (they don’t mention this on the web-site) the main building is an old halls of residence to which a flat roofed extension has been added. Be warned it is surrounded by Uni faculty buildings, complete with students partying at 3:30 in the morning!

Pro’s

Clean and well decorated.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff, nothing too much trouble and all smiles and happy attitudes.

Well-appointed room and comfortable bed.

Great bathroom with huge shower and a massive shower head so a real soaker.

Good quality food for breakfast and well-cooked morning one.

Con’s

On a University campus so prone to partying and rowdy students at 3:30 in the morning.

The signed entrance is through a security barrier and the entrance with no barrier is off two side roads and not signed at all so ask the receptionist where it is.

The ‘car park’ is the entrance road (hill) leading to two sets of steps to drag bags up (no signs to show where reception might be). There are shrubs etc. all the way up the hill so whichever way round you park someone has to climb out into the herbaceous boarder, not pleasant in the pouring rain. A ’permit’ is needed or they clamp your car. Make sure you check the guest info on the room TV because they don’t tell you about the permit when you check in.

Room air-con is either window open or window closed! When open one can’t sleep for the noise of a) see line one above and b) the noise of the multitude of filtration equipment on the roof of the extension, right outside the window. When closed it’s just too hot.

Another hotel that calls a large room a ‘suite’ which should be a min of two rooms excluding the bathroom. Our suite was just a large room with an old chimney breast separating the bed from the sitting area. i.e. wife can’t get to sleep whilst hubby watches Match of the Day!

Room servicing is perfunctory. The duvet was simply pulled up over the sheet, which was too small to tuck in at the head so was well and truly rucked up on night one and simply left that way. Dirty glasses were left exactly where they were left by us. Wet towels were re-folded and left on the window ledge as if new had been supplied.

A strange breakfast service on morning one though it was table service. No side plates for toast (given saucers when asked for some), no knives for toast, toast or rather warm bread, that had barely been shown the toaster, one teabag in a large pot, no butter on the table. All rectified when pointed out but hardly difficult to get right from the start. The food was served in deep, pasta style, bowls; you try it and see how weird and awkward it is to eat bacon, eggs and a sausage from a bowl! Oh and the poached egg the wife had could have been used as a golf ball, it was so overcooked.

Buffet style breakfast morning two. Still no side plates but now given long, wide strange plates when I asked, better than the saucers! The same good quality food as morning one but now ruined by being kept warm, hard bacon, crispy black pudding and scrambled egg that would have bounced back to the plate if dropped on the floor. I asked for a fried egg and was told ‘we’re not doing them today’ WHAT!!

The breakfast room was called ‘The Refectory’ and did have a school hall feel about it and the dining room also doubles as the guests lounge so formal tables set, one with a TV above it and sofa’s and easy chairs right next to them – very strange.

There was no on-line booking when I booked so I had to ring them – no hardship – but I received no confirmation of any sort from them, oh and don’t expect a bill when you leave unless you ask for one, perhaps they’re trying to save trees!

I was told they are planning to convert some more campus buildings into over 100 new rooms, I suggest they get the basics right first with what they have now.

The main ‘Hall’ is a lovely old building and it has been modified very well, could be convenient if one is bringing prospective students to look at the Uni but there are too many better hotels in Sheffield and just too many things going against this one to be worth a second visit.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking the flat roof extension and if you do either pray it is cold enough...
1 Thank FoodieOswestry
Dear FoodieOswestry,

I would like to thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that we aim to exceed expectations so it is disappointing for me to read about the area's you were not completely happy with.

Our website does state that we were formally halls of residences, and that we are based on the University's Endcliffe Village, however we have been graced so far with very little noise from our surrounding student neighbours.

We work hard to make sure our guests have a good nights sleep, which is why we partnered with a local company to choose the best beds for our rooms, so I'm glad you found your bed comfortable, and I have to agree - I have been very lucky to find some of the most wonderful staff I have ever worked with.

We have recently installed new signage on property so I apologise you found it difficult when you arrived, but as with all confirmations we do send you directions to us, along with a parking permit. Being based on student campus, and for the safety and security of all guests, students and workers, there are security barriers around the property.

We have now sleeping aids to assist you in getting a great nights sleep, including cooling aids for our rooms in case you feel on the warmer side. We have tried to keep as many of the original features of the halls of residences as possible, including the chimneys in the rooms and suites. Our suites as stated on our website offer the addition of a lounge area giving you an additional living space whilst you are with us.

I apologise the room service you received was not to our standard, and can assure you this has been addressed, and I apologise for the breakfast service you received on day two of your stay. Again, this is not to our standard and I can only apologise you were told this information.

I do hope if you are back in Sheffield you might visit us again, maybe even visit us for a Sunday roast! We would like the opportunity to show our services to you again, but this time exceed all expectations.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We decided to stay here because I am a Sheffield alumnus and it's close to where I used to be whilst attending sheffield(earnshaw hall).you get a discount if you went to the university.first it is extremely difficult to find lthere are no signs .they have a gate baring entry so you have to talk to a security guard to gain admittance of your car .there are no signs for reception which is hard to find .it is not wheelchair accessible so you have to drag your bags up stairs .there is no elevator in the facility. We were on the second fortunately two young guys took our bags upstairs .the front office staff were very helpful and nice .it is apparent that few people are staying there other than the odd parent visiting a child on the weekend .it is in very pleasant grounds .we booked a suite which was fairly nice ,regular rooms looked very small ,very nice bathroom with rain shower .bed was hard pillows were comfortable .we stayed a week .saturday was noisy as many drunken students yelling in the grounds (it is a dorm )had dinner the first night ,only people in there ,it was very good .the waiter /chef told he was leaving the next day .breakfast was awful ,it reminded me of my days at earnshaw.it is in a nice area of Sheffield with medium walk to hunters bar and eccleshaw road with fairly nice restaurants .there were meetings going onion some of the rooms .so though it is pretending to be a hotel it really isn't ,kind of like an upgraded college dorm .they had apples and cookies each day on our floor with a free capuchino machine on each floor which was nice .occupancy must have been less than 5per cent .

Very nice bathroom with rain shower

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear arh0070,

Thank you for your review. I know you stayed with us for a few nights, and it's always nice for us to have Alumni back in the hotel, which is why we offer all Alumni discount on bedrooms.

I'm sorry you found it difficult to find us, we do send out confirmation to all guests on booking with us, with directions to the hotel to ensure minimal disturbance on your journey to us. As we are on University property there are strict safety precautions we have to take for the students and our guests well being, as soon as you contact security at the gates, they do give you instant access to the hotel. We have recently installed new signs around the property directing you to our entrance, and there is also wheel chair access to the side of the hotel for all guests wishing to use this route. Unfortunately we do not offer a lift facility within the hotel, however as you stated, on every check in,we offer all of our guests luggage service to your bedrooms up the few stairs, we do have ground floor rooms available for any guests who may not wish to use the stairs.

I apologise that you didn't find our beds comfy, we have worked hard to make sure that our guests have a comfortable night as I know how frustrating it can be to not have a great nights sleep in a hotel. I can only apologise that you were disturbed on one of your nights within the hotel, even though we are based on student property we have been very lucky so far to have not been bothered by noise by surrounding accommodation.

Each morning we lay out a large continental selection for breakfast and a hot breakfast of your choice cooked to order, we only use local suppliers around Sheffield and Yorkshire so I am disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy it.

Our hotel does offer meetings and events facilities of all kinds, including weddings and conferences which is why we have a selection of meeting rooms available, that are in use daily.

I'm sorry to read you didn't thoroughly enjoy your stay with us, but it was a pleasure to meet you.