“Fantastic one night stay on a Saturday”
Review of Halifax Hall

Halifax Hall
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for a one night trip to Sheffield and chose the Hotel as the reviews was everything I want in a hotel. If like me you want a clean hotel near the city not be charged for parking be comfortable and recieve a good level of service then this Hotel will exceed your expectations.

The reviews do not do the Staff justice they are so friendley and helpful it almost like they dont need training in customer service. bedrooms are a little small but they are extremely well designed and the I had the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

Gone are the tacky tea and coffee with that horrible warm milk instead they have bistro like coffee machines on the floors with homemade cookies which are delicious. I was also informed that to save me the trouble the staff would deliver the coffees free of charge we wanted them.

The bathrooms are massive and have a real quality feel to them although we only had a shower it was more like a waterfall.

Its true that some have said there are what look like student residence buildings around the hotel. but once you are inside you would never know they was there. I was expecting to be kept up with music and shouting with it being a Saturday but we heard nothing.

Breakfast was also very very good and unexpected, word of warning though dont do what we did and get up at the same time of the rest of the hotel and try and eat all at once. we had to wait a few minutes but it really was not an issue for what we recieved. A great choice of a cold buffet and and for cooked breakfast I had the maple syrup pancakes which was fantastic and the Husband went for the full english both breakfast cooked to perfection.

Next time we visit we will definatley try and eat in the evening too if we are not going out for the night.

Its very hard to find fault with this new addition to Sheffield I would advise anyone to try it out it really is a pleasant stay and fantastic value.

Will 1000% be back!

Room Tip: stayed in room 203 it was small but very comfy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joyce B
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Joyce B,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It's great for me to read we are exceeding guests expectations in many area's of the hotel. We hope to see you the next time you are in Sheffield.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Good and not so good points to this hotel. The good points have largely been covered e.g. newly decorated rooms, lovely staff, on site free parking(which makes a huge difference to me), quiet and out of the way and finally the windows open which again makes a difference to me as with many chain hotels you are sealed in!
Not so good points-lovely new shower, in fact an idea to pinch it was so beautiful but couldn't get the water to be above a mediocre 'warm' which I would guess is because its been thermostatically set. Also no separate attachment for washing the bits an overhead shower just doesn't reach which if you are a woman and there is no bath is essential. Other small things; shower head made a very strange hissing, I couldn't find a thermostat to turn on the heating and after a certain time it was cold, no tea and coffee in room and I didn't fancy going onto landing in my PJ's, also and finally I am 6 ft and couldn't get my legs under the breakfast table or indeed the desk in the room so anyone taller would find this uncomfortable.

This is not a chain hotel so you cannot expect an entirely sleek operation especially as they are still inducting new staff and doing the place up as they go along. All this aside I think that if you were visiting your child at uni or wanted somewhere away from the city, it would be a great place to stay especially if you had some history with the place as there are historical photos in the communal areas so I would assume very nostalgic. All in all a great way to gentrify an old building.

Room Tip: The ground floor, this is an old building so if on any other floor expect multiple stairs and a wigg...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Harlow1

Dear Harlow1,

Thank you for your review. I welcome all guest feedback to ensure we are always aiming to exceed all of our guests expectations. Please note if you stay with us again we do have a room with a bath tub and you can always upgrade to a suite if you would like to, of course these are upon availability. We do stress to all of our guests that we will bring any hot drinks to your room for you, and we also have a tea/coffee tray available to those guests who really would prefer drink facilities in their room, we just thought the our coffee offering is more premium to those found is so many hotels.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. The room looked like it had recently been decorated. Very nice room, a little small but everything you need. Tea and coffee making stations just down the corridor with home made cookies. Very tasty! Good shower, and a lovely big breakfast to enjoy in the morning. Staff very friendly, top marks.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Mrs-Moondog
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Mrs-Moondog,

Short but very sweet review thank you so much! All of our guests feedback really is appreciated to help us ensure that we always aim to exceed our guests expectations.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for one night with my daughter for uni open day. The reception staff were all very polite and extremely helpful, especially Jamie, and we appreciated being able to leave bags after check out and collect later. There was a wedding at the hotel and a few children running in the corridors so a little noisy, and we didn't see any cookies at the tea/coffee station so maybe they had been enjoyed by little people!!? The room was on the small side but beautifully decorated and very clean. The bed had quality linen and was really comfy. We had a lovely big bathroom with a large shower, but the "rainfall" head meant not powerful enough to wash hair and there was no bath/hand shower either. When we arrived at the dining room for breakfast no-one greeted us so we not sure of the format, but the great food certainly made up for this - lovely selection of fresh fruit, ham, cheese and cereals and we also had pancakes, maple syrup and crispy bacon which was delicious! If visiting Sheffield again I would definitely stay at Halifax Hall.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank superPA

Dear superPA,

Thank you for your review. Sorry to see that you didn't manage to get any of Chef Emma's cookies during your stay, please make sure to mention this when you next check in with us and the front desk receptionist (maybe Jamie if he's working) will make sure to get you some from our kitchen!

Good luck to your daughter in her exams, and hopefully if she chooses Sheffield we'll see you both again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Situated in a beautiful location close to the Botanical Gardens and within easy walking distance of Broomhill and Hunters Bar, this charming hotel has everything for a comfortable stay. The room was spacious, well-appointed and tastefully decorated with a super-comfy bed. There were excellent drinks-making facilities on each floor with home-baked biscuits and fresh fruit. With friendly staff and great food it's definitely my favourite place to stay in Sheffield.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Pam H
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Pam H,

What a lovely review thank you. It's great to hear our guests are enjoying the coffee facilities we offer. Ill pass on your kind words to the staff. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We had a very small double room, arrived late evening looking forward to a bath, but none in our room, although other rooms odd have them. Had a lot of noise during the night from students arriving home in the small hours. Staff friendly, we had breakfast which was very good. For one night ideal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debsunlover

Dear debsunlover,

Thank you for your review. Please note we do have 2 bedrooms that offer bath facilities along with a separate shower. One of our suites offer this, and the other room is on the top floor in one of our double rooms. The next time you book please be sure to ask for a room with a bath if available.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just returned from a 2 night break to visit my son at Uni. Have stayed in Halifax Hall and on each occasion I am always made to feel incredibly welcome at this hotel.
Rooms are lovely - I had a beautiful roll top bath and the rooms feel very, fresh, clean and new.
Breakfast was delicious and my son and friends joined me for drinks in the evening and were made welcome.
Thanks to Jamie on reception who was always on hand to answer questions and ensure my stay was once again a perfect break.

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one. Although 301 has a lovely roll top bath.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank GEN100813

Dear GEN100813,

Thank you again for your great review. It's always nice for us to see familiar faces! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay again, we'll be looking forward to your next arrival.

Kind regards,