Halifax Hall
Jurys Inn Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$90
  • Restaurant
Hilton Sheffield(Sheffield)
US$107
US$103
Hampton By Hilton Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$87
US$72
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Ibis Sheffield City(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$85
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewshalls of residencehomemade cookiescoffee machinestudent villagemusic roomstudent hallsuniversity campusstudent accommodationbotanical gardensroll top bathcold buffetecclesall roadlarge bathroomno lifthot drinkscooked breakfastrobes and slippers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We recently held our wedding reception at Halifax Hall (apologies to the reviewer who mentioned the cookies - I'm afraid they might have fallen victim to our smaller guests. So sorry!). The food and decor were stunning, but in particular I must mention the service on the day which was impeccable. Our guests, who included some very elderly ladies, commented that it was the best service they'd ever received in a hotel. It was clean, and nothing was too much trouble.

David, the Food and Beverage Manager and his team were second to none, and the delicious Steak and Kelham Island Ale Pie has to be tried to be believed. The various reception staff we encountered during the day went out of their way to help us, and special thanks must go to Deborah and April who helped to co-ordinate the day.

The suite we were allocated for our wedding night was superb, and the special finishing touches put in place by the hotel staff were really special.

Finally, the breakfasts were simply awesome!

I'd recommend Halifax Hall to anyone looking for a venue, or simply a beautiful place to stay in Sheffield.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank MrsBrash
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear MrsBrash,

First of all congratulations on your lovely wedding! We're so happy we were able to help make your day super special! Thank you for your wonderful review, so glad to know you really enjoyed your day with us. Ill make sure I pass on all of your special mentions to all the team!

Kind regards and hopefully we will see you again soon,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for a one night trip to Sheffield and chose the Hotel as the reviews was everything I want in a hotel. If like me you want a clean hotel near the city not be charged for parking be comfortable and recieve a good level of service then this Hotel will exceed your expectations.

The reviews do not do the Staff justice they are so friendley and helpful it almost like they dont need training in customer service. bedrooms are a little small but they are extremely well designed and the I had the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel.

Gone are the tacky tea and coffee with that horrible warm milk instead they have bistro like coffee machines on the floors with homemade cookies which are delicious. I was also informed that to save me the trouble the staff would deliver the coffees free of charge we wanted them.

The bathrooms are massive and have a real quality feel to them although we only had a shower it was more like a waterfall.

Its true that some have said there are what look like student residence buildings around the hotel. but once you are inside you would never know they was there. I was expecting to be kept up with music and shouting with it being a Saturday but we heard nothing.

Breakfast was also very very good and unexpected, word of warning though dont do what we did and get up at the same time of the rest of the hotel and try and eat all at once. we had to wait a few minutes but it really was not an issue for what we recieved. A great choice of a cold buffet and and for cooked breakfast I had the maple syrup pancakes which was fantastic and the Husband went for the full english both breakfast cooked to perfection.

Next time we visit we will definatley try and eat in the evening too if we are not going out for the night.

Its very hard to find fault with this new addition to Sheffield I would advise anyone to try it out it really is a pleasant stay and fantastic value.

Will 1000% be back!

Room Tip: stayed in room 203 it was small but very comfy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joyce B

Dear Joyce B,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It's great for me to read we are exceeding guests expectations in many area's of the hotel. We hope to see you the next time you are in Sheffield.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Good and not so good points to this hotel. The good points have largely been covered e.g. newly decorated rooms, lovely staff, on site free parking(which makes a huge difference to me), quiet and out of the way and finally the windows open which again makes a difference to me as with many chain hotels you are sealed in!
Not so good points-lovely new shower, in fact an idea to pinch it was so beautiful but couldn't get the water to be above a mediocre 'warm' which I would guess is because its been thermostatically set. Also no separate attachment for washing the bits an overhead shower just doesn't reach which if you are a woman and there is no bath is essential. Other small things; shower head made a very strange hissing, I couldn't find a thermostat to turn on the heating and after a certain time it was cold, no tea and coffee in room and I didn't fancy going onto landing in my PJ's, also and finally I am 6 ft and couldn't get my legs under the breakfast table or indeed the desk in the room so anyone taller would find this uncomfortable.

This is not a chain hotel so you cannot expect an entirely sleek operation especially as they are still inducting new staff and doing the place up as they go along. All this aside I think that if you were visiting your child at uni or wanted somewhere away from the city, it would be a great place to stay especially if you had some history with the place as there are historical photos in the communal areas so I would assume very nostalgic. All in all a great way to gentrify an old building.

Room Tip: The ground floor, this is an old building so if on any other floor expect multiple stairs and a wiggly lay out but really this adds to the reason you will have chosen the place!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Harlow1

Dear Harlow1,

Thank you for your review. I welcome all guest feedback to ensure we are always aiming to exceed all of our guests expectations. Please note if you stay with us again we do have a room with a bath tub and you can always upgrade to a suite if you would like to, of course these are upon availability. We do stress to all of our guests that we will bring any hot drinks to your room for you, and we also have a tea/coffee tray available to those guests who really would prefer drink facilities in their room, we just thought the our coffee offering is more premium to those found is so many hotels.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. The room looked like it had recently been decorated. Very nice room, a little small but everything you need. Tea and coffee making stations just down the corridor with home made cookies. Very tasty! Good shower, and a lovely big breakfast to enjoy in the morning. Staff very friendly, top marks.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Mrs-Moondog
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Mrs-Moondog,

Short but very sweet review thank you so much! All of our guests feedback really is appreciated to help us ensure that we always aim to exceed our guests expectations.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for one night with my daughter for uni open day. The reception staff were all very polite and extremely helpful, especially Jamie, and we appreciated being able to leave bags after check out and collect later. There was a wedding at the hotel and a few children running in the corridors so a little noisy, and we didn't see any cookies at the tea/coffee station so maybe they had been enjoyed by little people!!? The room was on the small side but beautifully decorated and very clean. The bed had quality linen and was really comfy. We had a lovely big bathroom with a large shower, but the "rainfall" head meant not powerful enough to wash hair and there was no bath/hand shower either. When we arrived at the dining room for breakfast no-one greeted us so we not sure of the format, but the great food certainly made up for this - lovely selection of fresh fruit, ham, cheese and cereals and we also had pancakes, maple syrup and crispy bacon which was delicious! If visiting Sheffield again I would definitely stay at Halifax Hall.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank superPA

Dear superPA,

Thank you for your review. Sorry to see that you didn't manage to get any of Chef Emma's cookies during your stay, please make sure to mention this when you next check in with us and the front desk receptionist (maybe Jamie if he's working) will make sure to get you some from our kitchen!

Good luck to your daughter in her exams, and hopefully if she chooses Sheffield we'll see you both again soon.

Kind Regards,