“Disappointed”
Review of Halifax Hall

Halifax Hall
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have expected something better. Didn't know we have to share the space with student accommodation! Warning people the halifaxhall hotel share the space with student campus. The garden is very small. Thought will be very romantic but is not. The Italian girl who works there was extremely rude! The room it's self was nice and clean with nice bathroom.i would never recommend this place to anyone. Halifax hall hotel is a small period mansion itself! ! Is a mostly modern building with no privacy around.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank leviA1
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear leviA1,

I'm sorry to read you didn't enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you that we aim to exceed all of our guests expectations of service and hotel standards. I have spoken with the lady you have mentioned, who was very upset to read your review and it seems the issue came when we could not on this time fulfil your request for an early check in. Please know we will always do our best to fulfil any guests requests including early check ins, but if we are unable to we will always offer to hold luggage complimentary and even suggest things around Sheffield to do whilst you wait, or even direct you to our guest lounge areas.
I believe the room you stayed in was one of our beautiful king size rooms with a roll top bathtub, overlooking our private garden.
The original part of our building was built in the 1840's with extensions being finished in 1934 for the Sheffield University halls for women. These are the rooms that were recently renovated into the bedrooms you stayed in.
It does state where we are based on our website so I apologise that you did not see this before your arrival, we do however receive very little to no disturbance from our surrounding neighbours.

Have a lovely day,

There are newer reviews for Halifax Hall

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We'll definitely be returning on our next trip to Sheffield! The staff were very friendly, service was fantastic and breakfast was very tasty! The whole place was decorated very nicely, and the 24hr bar was great for a night cap after a night out! Decor was lovely and very modern. The only thing I would have liked would be a mirror in the actual bedroom to do my hair and make up. It was hard to do this in the bathroom mirror that was steamed up after us both having showers. Other than that, can't fault this place!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear 'TripAdvisor Member',

Thank you so much for your review. We are currently in the process of sorting mirrors for the bedroom desks to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Hopefully they will be installed on your return!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have now stayed twice each time for one night. The rooms were extremely comfortable and quiet.
There was good space in the rooms and the extra large bathroom was fantastic. All the staff were extremely helpful and went out of their way to help and the breakfast with fresh fruit and choice of buffet plus a cooked breakfast is delicious.
I'm staying there again - best in the area

Room Tip: ask if there is a room with a view of the garden
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 101ray

Dear 101ray,

Thank you for your lovely review. So glad to know we already have lots of returning guests! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for 1 night and thoroughly enjoyed it. All staff were really friendly, polite and helpful. On arrival, our luggage was taken straight to our room by one of the staff. Our room was lovely, clean and spacious with a fantastic power shower! The decor was modern and had a great feel. We had an evening meal at the hotel which was lovely. The food was delicious, there were a variety of choices available. The service from staff was great throughout the meal. The hotel also had a nice lounge bar where you could relax with a drink after eating, it had a very relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast the next morning was freshly made and there was a variety of choice available. We really enjoyed our stay and will defiantly return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stacey K
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Stacey K,

I love reading reviews like yours! Thank you for your feedback it really is appreciated! We hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I think ours was room 214 (top of front staircase, first landing, first door on the right). Despite looking lovely, it didn't really work well to actually live in!
The bathroom was huge, which was a complete waste of space really. It all looked fabulous, but there was nowhere to hang hand towels, flannel etc near the sink, and the one small towel rail just couldn't cope with two bath towels & two hand towels. The shower looked good, but didn't go very hot, or very forceful. I know that's great ecologically, but I have a bad neck, and going under a very hot shower is sometimes the only way to ease it off. The only mirror was in the bathroom along the back of the loo and sink, so you had to lean across them if you wanted to see anything close up. There was no plug socket in bathroom, so you couldn't use the hairdryer in there, but there was no mirror at all anywhere else, so you couldn't dry your hair in front of one anywhere!
The lighting was VERY dingy in the bedroom, not helped by the fact that the table lamp didn't work. At least the bathroom had a huge window so was lovely and bright. Our view looked out onto a sort of rooftop walkway with what looked like scaffolding poles. Very dreary. :-/
We had our meals in our room as my partner was shattered. Food was good, but arrived with no cloches so wasn't very warm. There also wasn't much choice. I had the same thing two nights in a row!
No tea/coffee making in the room. Instead they have a proper machine on each landing for cappucino etc, which is all complementary. I knew this in advance, but wasn't sure how we'd get on with the idea and it didn't work for us at all. Our room door was really heavy & stiff and there were no trays so it was really awkward getting in with two cups of coffee. There were also supposed to be complementary homemade cookies by the coffee, but I only found any there once in almost 48 hours. They were loose in a jar and could have been touched by goodness knows who. Urghhhh.. Not very hygenic! :-/
Our door wasn't very soundproof and we heard every word when people were going past, which, as we were at the top of the stairs, was everyone! The most disconcerting thing was that when the door was open, anyone in bed was in full view of anyone and everyone in the corridor! That's a really bad design! The door needs to be hung on the other side, then when open, the door would hide the bed from view. We had to make sure that each time one of us went out, or answered the door, the other one was decent! On top of this, there was no "Do not disturb" sign! I had to ask for one after the first night because I found the room really hot and was sleeping with parts of me dangling out for air and was really worried that housekeeping would come barging in on me in the morning!
We had two biggish, but not massive, suitcases and struggled with quite a few steps outside the Hotel, and stairs inside. No ramp outside, and no lift inside. We are in our 50's and fairly fit & stong. I don't know how less fit and able people would cope! The bedroom was really quite small and there was nowhere to put the suitcases so we found ourselves tripping over them all the time.
The photos on the website are completely misleading!! We were expecting a lovely old house, but Reception (and our room it seemed) were in a modern extension. We didn't see anything of the lovely old house part. Very disappointing!
All the hotel info is on the TV screen, which we found really irritating. Just give us a folder of info like everyone else does!! We couldn't get a full menu to come up on the TV screen and ended up having to go online and look at the menu on their website! Ridiculous!!
When we arrived, the girl who showed us up said... "Your room is newly decorated. You can smell the paint".. and indeed you could! :-( My partner was really struggling the first night with the stink. In the end we had the window open and then he caught a bit of a chill. Surely they shouldn't be putting people into a newly decorated room until the fume smell has completely vanished. We both had headaches that first evening!
The soap and body wash provided were nice, but the shampoo was AWFUL! My hair felt like straw after using it.
I found the supposedly fantastic bed too hard, though my partner didn't. We had twins zipped together and the zip join was rather lumpy and uncomfortable.
Pillows and duvet were lovely though! :-)
The first night we ordered a bottle of wine with our dinner but when it came, the wine was missing. As the food wasn't exactly hot we had to just get on and eat. By the time the wine arrived we had completely finished our meals!
I'm generally not a complaining sort of person, but I have to say that what initially looked like a very nice Hotel and room was VERY disappointing for us, due to a lot of needless, niggly little things. Maybe we had "duff" new room, that is having some teething troubles, but we found it all mounted up to being rather annoying and wouldn't ever stay there again unfortunately.

Room Tip: See above. I think ours was room 214, but I'm not positive.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Christine S,

Please know as with all of my guests feedback, I use it to ensure we deliver great guest service and maintain a high standard of hotel amenities.

You were in room 214 yes. The room is regularly a twin room so on the night of your arrival the bed was made to a super king bed because the room offered a lot more space for you and your luggage for the 2 nights you were with us. Like all our bathrooms, they are all of a larger size. This comes due to the nature of the building, which was originally built in the 1840's. Surprisingly you're the only person to show dissatisfaction with regards to bathroom size.

As stated next to the towel rail, we offer fresh daily towels so we believe the size of the towel rails, the hooks on the doors and the windowsills shelving is ample space to hang 4 towels.
All rooms come with a full length mirror attached to the wardrobe door which when opened offers hairdryer facilities to use from your desk area. We do not have plug sockets in the bathroom as this is a health and safety issue that we take very seriously. However we have ordered additional mirrors for the desk tops.

All of our bedrooms have been specially designed with ample lighting to ensure up-most comfort during your stay. Please know we have a team on site 24 hours that are happy to assist with any faulty bulbs which undoubtedly may happen during guests stays. Apologies that you didn't have a "Do Not Disturb Sign" in your room on arrival, however our staff were more than happy to bring one to your room when requested. Please know our staff are trained to the highest standard and follow strict procedures when entering any guest room. Even without a 'Do Not Disturb' sign, our staff would always knock twice, and leave ample time for you to decline their entrance, I can assure you, no staff would ever enter a guest room unannounced.

With regards to the scaffolding poles, unfortunately there was work taking place on roof repairs across from the hotel; I can assure you this is not a common feature of the hotel and is unfortunately out of our hands. I would hope this didn't affect the comfort of any guests stay.

Our menu offers a selection of freshly made meals so it's disappointing to read you were unable to choose different meal options for the 2 nights you were with us, I can assure you though that our chefs would have been happy to suggest other options if there was nothing suitable on the menu. All our menus can be viewed prior to arrival on our website.

We feel our premium coffee offering has served much better for our guests, and we always make guests aware that we would be happy to bring any hot drinks complimentary to your room for you. Unfortunately our cookies are so delicious that they seem to empty quicker than we can fill them, so I will definitely pass on your cookie worries onto our Food and Beverage manager to ensure they are fully stocked. We do however offer a tea and coffee tray that can be requested on arrival for those not wishing to use our premium offering, unfortunately that was not requested by yourselves during your stay. If we were made aware of your discomfort it would have been our pleasure to deliver drinks to you.

I'm at a loss as to where your discomfort was as I don't fully understand the issue, as when opening the door in room 214 I could only see the desk. Next time, why not take advantage of our complimentary fluffy soft waffle robes found inside of your wardrobes?

Our bedroom doors are all fire proof and sound proof above industry standard. Upon reading your review, me and my general manager personally tested this and struggled to hear even the slightest muffle. However as we are so committed to ensuring our guests have the best night's sleep, and we understand all guests have different levels of hearing, we do offer a white noise machine to assist with the perfect night's sleep. (This can be rented nightly from the front desk for £5, and details of this can be found on your guest directory located on your guest TV).

On arrival to the hotel, there is a ramp right next to the steps as you came in; we are a hotel that offer's accessible accommodation. We have 2 accessible rooms, and a further 9 rooms on the ground level for guests who do not wish to be troubled with luggage on site. As with all check ins and outs our helpful staff will always offer to carry your luggage from your car to your room, and the same on departure. In addition we have ample parking in locations where stairs are not required, including loading bays at multiple points around the hotel. After speaking with management who worked during your stay it seems you declined our luggage services on check out.

The original building was built in the 1840's. It is true that our reception was built more recently, however all bedrooms were an extension to the original house, and those works were completed in the 1920's. All of our public areas have been kept as original as possible to keep in character of the building, including the outstanding fire places and floor to roof Victorian sash windows, amongst many others. Our helpful staff would have been more than willing to give you a full tour of our beautiful building.

Our hotel ethos is to be green. Our efforts to ensure this include displaying our guest directory on the tv screens. It helps to reduce paper waste as we often change menus, internet codes and always like to update new and exciting offers for our guests! Any more information you would like is available by simply pressing '0' from bedroom phones, where you have the assistance of one of our wonderful front desk agents.

As a newly established hotel, we take great pride in maintaining our high standards. Your room was decorated the week before your arrival; however we would never check a guest into a newly decorated room with a very strong smell of paint as we wouldn't want to affect the comfort of your stay. All rooms are blocked for a period of a week before allowing any guest to check into after refurbishments are made.

We pride ourselves on providing guests with premium luxury items in all bedrooms, and are delighted to offer The White Companies Noir Range as part of our offering. This particular range usually receives fantastic reviews from our guests so I'm disappointed to see it didn't meet your expectations.

I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the wine delivery with your meals the first night of your stay, I can only apologise.

We take all guest feedback extremely seriously, as it enables us to deliver excellent guest service. I hope I have covered all points raised in your review, I am only upset that we were not given the opportunity to address any issues whilst you were with us. If you have any further feedback please contact the hotel.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Easy parking, courteous and attentive staff (especially Jamie on reception). Spotlessly clean room, we stay in a suite, my son had a very comfortable sofa bed. Clean white towels and robes. Breakfast choice excellent and was presented nicely, the waiter was keen to ensure our needs were met. Will be staying again soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank N C

Dear N C,

Really lovely review from yourselves thank you, happy to know we met all of your expectations and you really enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having been a student in Sheffield, my parents stayed in quite a few hotels and I've been in a few while revisiting - and this beats them all hands down.
We were met by a very friendly and smiley chap on reception, who showed us to our room - which was small but perfectly formed, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and a gorgeous bathroom, including a v.generous shower (plenty of hot water for us)! There were very soft looking dressing gowns in the wardrobe, loads of plug sockets (something many hotels don't have!) and we both liked their decision to move the tea and coffee to the corridors, allowing for fresh milk. Much nicer than sachets with UHT milk. Good wifi availability too. If I was going to be REALLY picky, I could have done with a mirror in a more convenient location for make up/hair dressing needs!
We both slept like logs, it was very quiet - without doubt the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel.
The breakfast was delicious - good choice of cereals/fruit/yoghurt etc - and a hearty cooked breakfast. The staff had to deal with a pretty rude guest, and they were patient, polite and diligent. Huge credit to them.
It's a good 20 minute walk from the university and probably half an hour into the town centre, but there are plenty of buses that pass nearby. You're also near the Botanic Gardens and Ecclesall Road, and it's a much quitter location than much city centre hotels - no busy roads nearby.
All in all, a brilliant hotel choice. I'd highly recommend Halifax Hall - the only disappointing fact for me is that I wasn't there for longer. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, and were played on the ground floor towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clarey_oo1

Dear clarey_oo1,

What a lovely review thank you. We are actually in the process of getting mirrors added to the rooms so hopefully the next time you visit these will be in place! Remember all feedback is helpful to new hotels!

We hope to see you again soon,