“Suberb staff”
Review of Halifax Hall

Halifax Hall
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked a two night last minute break at Halifax Hall to escape our home refurbishment for a couple of days. Although we have lived in Sheffield for many years we had never heard of this hotel and I was intrigued about its location - right in the middle of University of Sheffield student village. The hotel is in a great location - especially if you are a visiting the university. It is within easy walking distance of both Broomhill and Eccleshall where there are plenty of pubs and restaurants. It is set in lovely grounds and was very peaceful. However we stayed over Easter weekend, so there weren't many students around....
Our room was very small, however it was clean and the shower was very good indeed. Although well appointed in many ways (TV, hairdryer, safe, dressing gowns etc) the space was a bit of an issue - it was awkward to dry my hair and the only mirror in the room was in the wardrobe, which was in a tight space. It might have been better to have a smaller desk and perhaps a second mirror above the desk. The beds were very comfortable. Our room was very hot and we couldn't turn the radiators down, however on the second day we asked am member of the staff about this and they managed to run the radiators off, which made for a much more comfortable second night. Breakfast was included and this was great with plenty of choice and particularly lovely sausages. The public areas are comfortable and staff were attentive, without being over powering. The staff were lovely throughout our stay and were very helpful, friendly and professional throughout our stay.

1  Thank katehSheffield
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear katehSheffield,

Lovely review thank you! Even nicer for us to see our neighbours are visiting! We are currently waiting on new mirrors in the bedrooms so hopefully the next time you visit this won't be an issue!! Remember we also serve roast dinners on Sundays, and we offer a lovely afternoon tea, so think of us the next time you fancy a walk out for lunch!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just came back from a one-night stay at the Halifax Hotel with my boyfriend and, I have to say, I cannot find anything to fault it for. From the beginning we felt like, as guests, we are very important. The check in was quick and professional, we were even shown our room and all the facilities by a helpful young man from the reception.
The room itself was absolutely spotless. Very clean, comfy and nicely furnished. We found all the little touches (nail care kit, little pretty soap, slippers & etc) very welcoming and they made us feel special. I just loved the white company shampoo and shower gel!
The coffee and other hot drinks from the coffee stations were really nice and I think it's a great idea as they tasted so much better. We even managed to get some of the home made cookies (no wonder they dissapear so quickly!).
We liked the breakfast very much, too. My boyfriend enjoyed scrambled egg with smoked Scottish salmon and I have chosen full english with the best sausages I have ever eaten so far.
We have been served by two spanish girls, both very polite, made sure we had tea during the whole breakfast and kept asking if everything was OK.

The whole hotel experience was much better than we were expecting. The outside area (with little rabbits jumping around - not sure if they are there for purpose or just some wild creatures are enjoying splendid gardens around Halifax) as well as the room have met our expectations in 100%

1  Thank Kasia O

Dear Kasia O,

Thank you for your great review!! It seems you really enjoyed your stay with us which is what I love to read! - We've got our team checking the cookie jars more often to ensure all our guests get those delicious cookies!

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have stayed in the Halifax on an off for 4 weeks whilst working in Sheffield and every time the stay has been fantastic. The hotel is pleasantly decorated with the rooms finished to a very high standard with large en suite shower rooms and very comfortable beds. Getting a good nights sleep isn't an issue thanks to well insulated rooms and no noisy main roads close by. The food is excellent with a good choice of meals, especially breakfast and the staff cant do more to help. Overall, I would highly recommend the hotel and the price is brilliant considering what you get for your money.

Room Tip: I've stayed in 4 different rooms on different floors/locations and every time the room has been...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Craig J
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Craig J,

What a review - thank you! We love seeing friendly faces in the hotel so please do think of us if you are in Sheffield again soon!

Have a wonderful weekend.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I just spent one night on my own in this great hotel. On arrival I found that the coffee machine was straight outside my room and cookies seemed to be fresh out of the oven. The room itself was a smallish double (even though I booked a single) with a fantastic on suite. I like the fact the hotel bumf was on TV so nothing to read and wifi great. I had a great breakfast and found all the staff I met to be polite and helpful. The problem with this hotel is just how hard it is to find. I followed the instructions I was given and found Endcliffe Village with no problems, but I needed further instructions to find the actual hotel. The instructions sent out with booking info were to the Edge and not to the Halifax. Still no major problem.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mk_013

Dear mk_013,

Thank you for your lovely review, it seems you really enjoyed your stay with us which is always great for me to read! Ill revisit the instructions we send out as we want to ensure a safe and easy arrival to us here at Halifax Hall.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you the next time you are in Sheffield.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My partner and I stayed here at the weekend, we stayed in the Johnson suite which is a good size room and was very light. The sofa was very comfy and the T.V on the wall had all of the information on with regards to the hotel, services, menus etc. I thought this was a good idea instead of having the information laid out in a book and it also had digital service. The wardrobe provided plenty of space to hang our clothes etc. The bed was very comfy along with the quilt and pillows...I didn't want to get out of bed the next morning! The bathroom was gorgeous with a huge roll top bath and the bathroom mirror was heated so it didn't steam up. The shower was very big but it wasn't as powerful as expected and the toiletries were also provided. There weren't any other mirrors in the suite apart from the bathroom mirror but I think someone mentioned they were on order.

The customer service was 110% and the receptionist Rebecca was very helpful, there weren't an iron or ironing board in the suite however Rebecca made sure they were taken to our room. We had a 2 course dinner at night which was really nice, this was included in a Groupon deal we had bought for us however the food is fairly priced and I would have been happy paying the asking price for the quality of the food we received. We had a main course but felt we had to leave it a while before we could eat a desert as the main was really filling. Kim the lady who was serving mentioned we could order our deserts and have them delivered to our room which we chose to do. between Kim & Rebecca they made sure our deserts were brought up to our room :). The hotel is very very very close to student accommodation however we never heard any noise and once in the hotel it is very easy to forget where you are as the hotel is well decorated. The coffee stations may not be for everyone but we didn't have a problem with these and made good use of them as the coffee and hot chocolate were nice.

I do have a few things to point out, although very small I thought it would be best to have the pro's and con's. The flush for the toilet is behind the toilet seat, so I put the toilet lid down assuming it would be a soft close toilet lid and it wasn't therefore it would make a huge noise it just left to close on it's own. The toilet seat also has a chip in it which really needs replacing. I would advise to replace it with a soft closing toilet seat/lid due to the flush been behind it. There was loads of dust on top of the wardrobe, the wardrobe was no higher than 5ft 7/8 and a feather duster could easily be run along the top, there was a lot of dust on the windowsills, on top of the T.V and on the bottom shelves of the bedside cabinets. it does not take much to dust these places, they were thick with dust. The room does get warm but the windows open to let air in. The corridors were also very warm on the Sunday morning, we weren't the only customers to comment on this. However, my stay at Halifax Hall was a very pleasant one and although it wouldn't have been somewhere I myself would have booked, I would be more than happy to return to Halifax Hall. We were very well looked after by the staff there and they couldn't do enough to help, the breakfast was very nice too and we would be more than happy to recommend others to stay at Halifax Hall.

Thankyou very much for a brilliant and relaxing weekend :) Your staff are a credit to you and please thank Rebecca for her amazing service and smile!

Room Tip: The suite room provided enough space to relax and I would advise on the suite if you plan on spendin...
1  Thank Daniellam82

Dear Daniellam82,

Thank you for your lovely review. It's always great for me to read that guests really enjoy our products and services. I will make sure Kim and Rebecca know they were thought of very highly of you, I have to agree, they are both absolutely wonderful, as are all our staff! I will pass onto the housekeeping manager about the dust, I can only apologise and make sure this is taken care of immediately.

I hope you visit us the next time you are in Sheffield.

Have a lovely weekend,
Laura

Reviewed 13 April 2014

If your looking for somewhere to stay in Sheffield Then look no further. Although approx 2 miles from the city center you will not find a better place to stay. Clean modern rooms that go that little bit further with the addition of guest bath robes and slippers, and all at such a great price.

Room Tip: Best tip i can give is book now you wont be disapointed
2  Thank Shaun G

Dear Shaun G,

What a fab review thank you! We want to make sure all of our guests thoroughly enjoy all aspects of their visit to Halifax Hall and it seems you did! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Have a lovely weekend,

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent a weekend at Halifax Hall Hotel. Very friendly staff and good breakfast which was cooked to order. Room not large but very clean and comfortable. Slept well. Would quite happily go back and have recommended to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Janet L

Dear Janet L,

Thank you for your great review. It's lovely to read our guests have really enjoyed their stays with us and are happily recommending us to others. Please think of us the next time you are in Sheffield.

Best wishes,