“Very pleasant stay”
Review of Halifax Hall

Halifax Hall
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We came here for our first wedding anniversary for just a short break. I got a good deal on wowcher.
When I rang the hotel to make the reservation they asked fir the wowcher code which I provided. When we arrived to check in they asked fir the dude again. I didn't have it as I thought as I'd sir easy given it plus received confirmation in an email from the hotel of my reservation stating wowcher offer that I wouldn't need it. The young girl at reception really didn't know how to deal with a slightly difficult situation and proceeded to go on about it being policy that they needed the wowcher code otherwise they will need to take alternative payment! Not something when you want to hear when checking in for a special occasion which you had already paid for! She said she would have to ring wowcher! I thought what a performance and was trying to log into my wowcher account from my phone to see if it had a record of my code. I was clearly not happy so the manager came over and handled the situation much better by explaining usual requirements but that if I showed ID which I had plenty of then it would be fine. We were then shown to our room which was a nice touch and the room was gorgeous. Very well decorated and furnished. Very pleasant. Good quality towels and toiletries. The food in the restaurant was all very good and of good quality it just lacked a little in flavour. The dishes were quite bland. The hotel is in quite an odd location with uni buildings surrounding it. I do think this spoils the hotel and it's grounds. All in all a pleasant stay after the disastrous check in!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear ktewhite,

Thank you for your review. As with all voucher reservations, it is hotel policy to see all vouchers on check in, therefore our receptionist was simply following procedure. Of course it was not a problem on seeing your ID.
Congratulations on your anniversary, we hope you think of us the next time you are in Sheffield.

There are newer reviews for Halifax Hall

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place is a hidden gem
1, Only been open a year, not yet rated,
2 Great staff, friendly service,
3, Clean and modern rooms, everything you need for a great stay at Sheffield,
4 Great Price, Peaceful location,
5, Great location for the peak district and Sheffield ,as on the edge of Sheffield,
6 We have stayed at many other high rated hotels, and higher priced, customer service, was great,
7 Well done to all the Halifax Hall team, may you go from strength to strength, thank you for making our stay enjoyable and comfortable, We will be returning, next time we up your way,

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank harveyjulia
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear harveyjulia,

Thank you for your really lovely review. I'm happy to know we will see you again the next time you are up this way!

Have a lovely day,

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We were allowed into our room early. The Johnson suite lovely room however we were disappointed not to be offered any assistance with our luggage. No mirror available for when using hairdryer. The menu didn't change. Felt rushed at breakfast food we ordered arrived before we even had toast cereal etc one morning tea coffee poured from large jug next morning individual teapots for table much better. Jamie and the waiter credit to the hotel would stay again Mr and Mrs. Kent

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia K

Dear Sylvia K,

Thank you for your review. I apologise that you were not offered luggage assistance to your room, however it is strange to me that you weren't as all guests are individually walked to their rooms to help assist with luggage.

We are shortly having new mirrors installed in all bedrooms so the next time you visit hopefully these will be in place for you. Our menu changes on a monthly basis, however we feel there is plenty of choice available for each course.

All breakfasts are cooked to order so the food is delivered as soon as the chef plates it up to avoid it going cold, however please feel free to ask for more time before you order.
I will pass your kind words onto Jamie and the staff.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were very disappointed in this hotel. The bathroom was not clean, the coffee machine on our floor was out of order ( there are no coffee facilities in the rooms), there was no brown bread at breakfast and no rolls, dead flowers on the tables and, although they did not appear busy, most tables had not been cleared. The plug on the basin didn't work and the shower temperature couldn't be adjusted. The bulbs in the bedside lights had gone. For a boutique hotel, the Sheffield Copthorne is much better and for value the Premier Inn wins hands down.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Joanna H,

Thank you for your review. It's disappointing to read you didn't enjoy your stay with us, especially as I was able to see you on check out and most of your points were not brought up.

As you had discussed the bathroom cleanliness up during your stay, the housekeeping manager attended to your room and ensured me that the bathroom was spotless. The coffee machine was out of order on one of the nights you were with us, however there are 2 further coffee machines available for use, we also offer you the option of having a tea tray in your room, plus we offer complimentary delivery on hot beverages to your room to ensure no disruption during your stay, I apologise that you did not take us up on any of those services.

Our housekeeping manager checked the bedside lights after reading your review and the bulbs were working, but they had not been turned on using the correct switch. With regards to shower temperature the on/off adjuster is also the temperature adjuster so it is up to our guests to find the most comfortable temperature.

Breakfast is one of our busiest times of day in our hotel, but our staff work hard to ensure a clean and tidy breakfast area for all guests to enjoy.
I can only apologise that you didn't enjoy your stay with us on this occasion.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for one night as I was on business in Sheffield. It is in the grounds of the University and is a very clean and comfortable place. Rooms are very nice and all needs catered for.

If in Sheffield, would definetly use again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid Rm 101, near a door and a fire escape but does look out on to a pleasnat garden.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dartilov

Dear dartilov,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your very brief stay with us. We hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Lovely hotel. Rooms quite, and beautifully furnished and decorated. Bathooms huge. Staff extremely friendly and very helpful, thank you Jamie. Breakfast - Fantastic. Only down side is parking, when I arrived at 3 there was a conference on, so limited space, but it cleared later in day. £45 including breakfast, is fantastic value for money. I would have happly paid double that. Cant recommend this hotel enough. Will be using again, when in the sheffield area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank carol b

Dear carol b,

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm sorry to hear you had difficult finding parking on arrival. There are multiple area's for parking so please make if you are stuck again to call us and we can direct you to the different areas.

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Upon our arrival to Halifax Hall, we were warmly greeted by staff who were attractively attired in suit and tie, and who also carried our luggage upstairs.. We were advised that our accommodations had been upgraded to the Johnson Suite. It is a lovely room with tasteful decor, very clean and comfortable with a spacious bathroom that includes a walk-in shower as well as a claw footed bath tub. At breakfast, the staff continued to give us the royal treatment with their attention to detail and courteous manners. Thank you for making us feel special. - Carol and Doug

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vacationcarolanddoug

Dear vacationcarolanddoug,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our suites, the extra space they provide can make all the difference. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Sheffield.

Best wishes,