“Lovely stay”
Review of Halifax Hall

Halifax Hall
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed at Halifax Hall from 18th May for 5 nights, we had a lovely stay our room, the Johnson Suite, named after Amy Johnson, the first female pilot, who apparently was at the Univeristy and stayed in what were then the Female Halls of Residence, this just a bit of history.

The room was lovely, nice big walk in shower, roll top bath, big bed and lots of storage space plus a settee to watch the TV from if you wished, it overlooked the garden and terrace, and it was nice to watch the rabbits running around while getting ready for breakfast, this too was exceptional, i had a different meal each morning, while my Husband had the full Yorkshire. Margarita who served us was very friendly and efficient, sorry we missed her on our last morning to say bye and thank you.

We only had dinner on the first night, which was a late Sunday Lunch, Stuart the Duty Manager made us feel very welcome and even laid out a proper laid table for us on the terrace to enable us to make the most of the evening sunshine, very kind of him.

Everyone we spoke to over the days we were staying were friendly, and we were always greeted with a smile and a hello, for such a young group of people who run the hotel we found this very refreshing. Also as other people have mentioned the coffee machines are a nice touch saved all the messing around in the rooms making hot drinks. The rooms and the general areas were kept very clean and tidy.

Being on campus was good as well, it was good to see the students going about their business, and on the warm afternoons doing their studies in the gardens.

Halifax hall is only about a ten minute walk from the Hunters Bar area, where there are lots of bars and Restuarents, we had a few drinks in the newly opened Pointers Dog, and the Porter Brook Pub, which were both very lively.

All in all a great stay, and if we are ever in the Sheffield area again we will definitly stay there again.

Sandra and Brian Austin

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear ScoopsLeighonSea,

Thankyou for your great review. We loved having you in the hotel and hope to see you again the next time you are in Sheffield. I have passed on your kind words particularly to Margarita and Stuart.

Have a lovely day,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just returned from four nights here, the food is nice the staff are pleasant especially Aaron who we saw most days in the restaurant or reception, one issue with a fire door banging outside our room that was sorted during the day when we were out.
Locally good for Ecclesall road restaurants or 10 mins into city centre.
Would recommend to our friends and if back that way will stay there again :)

Room Tip: Oops there was no pool or fitness centre.

Dear michele P,

Thank you for your lovely review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Sheffield!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We came here for our first wedding anniversary for just a short break. I got a good deal on wowcher.
When I rang the hotel to make the reservation they asked fir the wowcher code which I provided. When we arrived to check in they asked fir the dude again. I didn't have it as I thought as I'd sir easy given it plus received confirmation in an email from the hotel of my reservation stating wowcher offer that I wouldn't need it. The young girl at reception really didn't know how to deal with a slightly difficult situation and proceeded to go on about it being policy that they needed the wowcher code otherwise they will need to take alternative payment! Not something when you want to hear when checking in for a special occasion which you had already paid for! She said she would have to ring wowcher! I thought what a performance and was trying to log into my wowcher account from my phone to see if it had a record of my code. I was clearly not happy so the manager came over and handled the situation much better by explaining usual requirements but that if I showed ID which I had plenty of then it would be fine. We were then shown to our room which was a nice touch and the room was gorgeous. Very well decorated and furnished. Very pleasant. Good quality towels and toiletries. The food in the restaurant was all very good and of good quality it just lacked a little in flavour. The dishes were quite bland. The hotel is in quite an odd location with uni buildings surrounding it. I do think this spoils the hotel and it's grounds. All in all a pleasant stay after the disastrous check in!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ktewhite,

Thank you for your review. As with all voucher reservations, it is hotel policy to see all vouchers on check in, therefore our receptionist was simply following procedure. Of course it was not a problem on seeing your ID.
Congratulations on your anniversary, we hope you think of us the next time you are in Sheffield.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place is a hidden gem
1, Only been open a year, not yet rated,
2 Great staff, friendly service,
3, Clean and modern rooms, everything you need for a great stay at Sheffield,
4 Great Price, Peaceful location,
5, Great location for the peak district and Sheffield ,as on the edge of Sheffield,
6 We have stayed at many other high rated hotels, and higher priced, customer service, was great,
7 Well done to all the Halifax Hall team, may you go from strength to strength, thank you for making our stay enjoyable and comfortable, We will be returning, next time we up your way,

2  Thank harveyjulia
HalifaxHall, Guest Relations Manager at Halifax Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear harveyjulia,

Thank you for your really lovely review. I'm happy to know we will see you again the next time you are up this way!

Have a lovely day,

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We were allowed into our room early. The Johnson suite lovely room however we were disappointed not to be offered any assistance with our luggage. No mirror available for when using hairdryer. The menu didn't change. Felt rushed at breakfast food we ordered arrived before we even had toast cereal etc one morning tea coffee poured from large jug next morning individual teapots for table much better. Jamie and the waiter credit to the hotel would stay again Mr and Mrs. Kent

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia K

Dear Sylvia K,

Thank you for your review. I apologise that you were not offered luggage assistance to your room, however it is strange to me that you weren't as all guests are individually walked to their rooms to help assist with luggage.

We are shortly having new mirrors installed in all bedrooms so the next time you visit hopefully these will be in place for you. Our menu changes on a monthly basis, however we feel there is plenty of choice available for each course.

All breakfasts are cooked to order so the food is delivered as soon as the chef plates it up to avoid it going cold, however please feel free to ask for more time before you order.
I will pass your kind words onto Jamie and the staff.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were very disappointed in this hotel. The bathroom was not clean, the coffee machine on our floor was out of order ( there are no coffee facilities in the rooms), there was no brown bread at breakfast and no rolls, dead flowers on the tables and, although they did not appear busy, most tables had not been cleared. The plug on the basin didn't work and the shower temperature couldn't be adjusted. The bulbs in the bedside lights had gone. For a boutique hotel, the Sheffield Copthorne is much better and for value the Premier Inn wins hands down.

Dear Joanna H,

Thank you for your review. It's disappointing to read you didn't enjoy your stay with us, especially as I was able to see you on check out and most of your points were not brought up.

As you had discussed the bathroom cleanliness up during your stay, the housekeeping manager attended to your room and ensured me that the bathroom was spotless. The coffee machine was out of order on one of the nights you were with us, however there are 2 further coffee machines available for use, we also offer you the option of having a tea tray in your room, plus we offer complimentary delivery on hot beverages to your room to ensure no disruption during your stay, I apologise that you did not take us up on any of those services.

Our housekeeping manager checked the bedside lights after reading your review and the bulbs were working, but they had not been turned on using the correct switch. With regards to shower temperature the on/off adjuster is also the temperature adjuster so it is up to our guests to find the most comfortable temperature.

Breakfast is one of our busiest times of day in our hotel, but our staff work hard to ensure a clean and tidy breakfast area for all guests to enjoy.
I can only apologise that you didn't enjoy your stay with us on this occasion.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for one night as I was on business in Sheffield. It is in the grounds of the University and is a very clean and comfortable place. Rooms are very nice and all needs catered for.

If in Sheffield, would definetly use again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid Rm 101, near a door and a fire escape but does look out on to a pleasnat garden.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dartilov

Dear dartilov,

Thank you for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed your very brief stay with us. We hope you visit us again soon.