“Absolute joke.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Bristol
“Absolute joke.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

When arriving at this hotel, I had a similar experience as listed previously with the front door not being in use, and having to walk round to the back in the dark as there is no lighting.

When I got there I rang the bell. 5 minutes later a guy appears coming up the garden path - to tell me I have no resvervation. Eventually he tells me to wait disappears for 10 minutes and when he returns he tells me I'm booked into another htoel nearby - but as its owned by the same people it doesn't matter. I'm sent to the Nether Edge Hotel, which is fairly close, although the unclear directions he gives me means it takes a little longer than it should do!

On my arrival there it turns out to be more of a guest house with rooms above a bar. The people smoking outside the open front door means the reception stinks of smoke. On checking in I'm told breakfast is 8-9.30am and I have to check out at 10am (this is for a Saturday night stay - so the hours aren't weekend friendly at all). I asked for a late check out as I knew I would be working until late and was told its company policy and I could only get a late check out if the owners agree, but as they couldn't get hold of the owners so there is nothing that could be done.

The room was basic and run down to say the least - although it was clean, but for the £82-50 I was charged was really not value for money.

I would really not recommend booking into either hotel - as you seem to have no guarantees that you'll get what you think you're booking.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Check out time
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank flotrout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2007

My mum stayed there for two nights. The first bad sign was that she was told when she arrived that she was to go round to the conservatory entrance and ring the door bell there as the front door bell didn't work. So she did and there was no response. Luckily I was with my mum, so we went out for the day before coming back and trying again to get in - again going around the side to the conservatory entrance. This time I phoned and a lady said she would be across straight away - so the reception is actually in another building on another road. There was apology for no one answering the door the first time, or indeed for the fact we had to phone to be allowed in.

The check in process was hardly slick, you're left to stand in a dark hall way observing their dated RAC 5 Diamond Awards and everything else . (NOTE: WHILST THE PLACE CLAIMS 5 DIAMONDS - THIS WAS AWARDED IN 2001, GOING BY THE AWARDS IN THE HALL ITS WON NOTHING ELSE SINCE THEN). The receptionist shuttled back and forth from a room with bits of paper to complete the check in process- a process that didn't leave you feeling full of confidence.

Breakfast is 0700 to 0830 - which for the leisure traveller isn't conducive to an easy going day.

The room was okay - keeping in the character of the house - though it could have done with being refreshed. My mum's room was en-suite - though it should be noted that not all rooms are. The TV didn't work. To contact reception during your stay you have to find your way back to the reception hallway and use the phone there as there is none in your room.

In summary - this hotel has had better days, clearly indicated by the fact that the awards seem to arrived up after 2001 - change of ownership or management complacency I don't know.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Shefnumpty

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Wirral, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2006

Place clean, room small and very dark couldn't see to put on my makeup. Bed comfortable, breakfast not the best that i've had, served by one man doing his best to serve 9 people. No staff around, had to wait about 15minutes for someone to come and check us out. Paid £66. didn't think it was value for money.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shrewsbury
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2004

Stayed here recently when taking my duaghter back to university. I get the impression that it has been taken over in the past year or two and standards have started to drop. Looks a little rundown from the outside (e.g. garden overgrown, paint peeling). It took at least 10 miniutes for someone to unlock the door and let us in! Suspect that the owner is using cheap student labour to save money, although we enjoyed a good Sunday breakfast that was cooked and served by a lovely lady who was having to cope on her own.

• Stayed May 2004
1 Thank John G
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2004

After a long journey we were more than disappointed in our accomodation. The room reeked of smoke which came up through the fireplace, the bedspread was blood stained and filthy and the curtains were hanging down. The heater did not work and it was so cold I had to get up at 2am to put on a thick sweater. The other rooms looked much nicer so I dont know what the problem was. I would never go back and certainly dont recommend it, I cant believe it's in the Michelin Guide.
Breakfast was good.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2004

Charming hotel, decorated tastefully with lovely owners who really look after you...we were very impressed. Bed very comfortable !

2 Thank Yerpaluk