“DO NOT STAY HERE”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
The Westbourne House Hotel
Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
South Wales
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 6 November 2009

My Husband was having an operation, in the hospital for a tumor, not a nice time, we booked into the so called Hotel, we had a call on the way there from the lady owner (I can't remember her name) saying what time were we coming as they were going out. I found this strange from a hotel. When we arrived we found out it was a B&B,they showed us to our room, which was nice and clean.

We had an awful nights sleep as the bed had sunk in the middle, we mentioned it in the morning and said they would sort it. I also asked if they could toast me some of my wheat free bread as I have a wheat allergy, they said no, but later relented. We left for the hospital.

After a very grueling day I left my husband in the Hospital and asked the lady owner had managed to sort the bed. I was not prepared for the rudness and objectionalble behaviour. She said "what do you expect me to do about it" I was very upset and feeling low, now I felt close to tears. I locked myself in the room, and asked for a cancellation. The following morning the husband came down to breakfast and told me they had cancelled further nights and I could leave.

I was very relieved to go and booked into a plush hotel in Sheffield for the same money.

This place was very over priced and I felt like an intruder in someoned home they were extremely rude. This was an experience that I would not like again.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank oakeydokey1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
scotland
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I was put off staying at this hotel by the reviews on this website. However, it was in a very convenient location for my work in Sheffield so I went ahead and booked it. And I'm really glad I did. I was asked for an arrival time but thats not a problem and the owners were ready when I arrived. They weren't terribly friendly but I just wanted somewhere to stay -not new friends! The hotel is very clean and tidy, the rooms are tastefully furnished and decorated and contain everything you could need. At night the hotel was quiet ensuring a good nights sleep and the breakfasts were very tasty with portions I couldn't finish. Ignore the bad reviews, this is an okay place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I have never experienced anything like some of the reviews here in my numerous stays over the past nine years. I never stay anywhere else in Sheffield, unless the Westbourne is sold out! For this money you get comfort and peace combined with the best fresh cooked breakfast in town.

Go ahead and stay in some of the hotels in town if you want, I have, in all of them, and still come back to book here as my first choice every time. By the way, if you can try the 'bridal suite' I was put in it one night as the place was full, it is a great room with a little doorway to a secret garden.......none of the town centre 60's nightmare hotels have secret garden rooms!

A 4 or 5 star hotel it isn't, but then not many of them offer what the Wesbourne House does; quality, service and value, consistently, over nine years!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank wirelesskev
london
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My daughter booked this hotel for me and my husband to stay for one night before attending her graduation.
She asked me to ring the owner of the hotel to explain that as we were coming from London and were leaving after work,we could not guarantee to arrive before 10 pm.
As soon as I open my mouth to explain the situation I was met with barrage of hostility and rudeness.
Apparently arriving before 10 o'clock was a prerequisite of booking and the hostess was unable and unwilling to suggest any other option as "they will be in bed by 10".Her only suggestion was to cancel my booking and to slam the phone down.
After this experience I went on the web to check the hotel by myself.
The Westbourn Hotel has many terrible reviews and the owner is quite "famous" for her outbursts and rudeness.
What I can not understand is : why has this hotel been rated as 5 stars by AA?
Surly, the hotels are rewarded not just for the cleanliness but also because of the friendly atmosphere and politeness of the hosts?
After booking with a different hotel for that night I consider this a lucky escape

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We booked this hotel by phone and we agreed with the owner ( Sue) to arrive between 2 and 3 in the afternoon as we live around 4 hours away from Sheffield, then 1 hour before we were due to arrive at the hotel we had a call on our mobile from Sue saying no one would be there to let us in until 4 as they were going out for supplies which meant we had to wait in their car park for 2 hours, she insisted she had told us to arrive either before 12 or after 5, which was a lie, so we got there and waited for them to get back from the shopping trip with no “supplies“, sue and her partner got out of their car she didn’t even acknowledge us, she just acted as if we weren’t there and went into the hotel and shut the door,
We eventually went into the hotel, sue disappeared which I thought was very rude, we felt like we were intruding in somebody’s house, we were asked to fill in a breakfast sheet to ensure we had a fresh breakfast, we went to our room which was a bit overpriced, mould above the bed and a noisy fan in the bathroom, we could even hear next doors fan late at night and early in the morning! We were going out that evening so we made our way to the hallway where sue was sitting in a room just next to it, she never spoke to us at all which really is very ignorant and rude as we were paying customers you do not expect to be treated that way and their website quotes: This Victorian elegance, combined with classic modern refurbishment's, results in a perfect relationship that hotel guests say provides a "home from home".
Which is certainly not true, it made us feel very uneasy to be honest, next morning we went down for breakfast at 8.25 which was just 5 minutes before our breakfast was to be cooked and the dining room was locked , no smell of cooking after hanging around for a few minutes ( nick) appeared and told us to wait in the lounge whilst he prepared the dining room, after another 15 minutes of waiting for food and listening to microwave pinging (so called freshly cooked food) it arrived one and a half pieces of bacon 2 cherry tomatoes 2 small mushrooms, an egg and 2 skinny chipolatas, it certainly wasn’t worth the money we paid, after that we just wanted to get out of the place so we collected our bags, nick came out to collect our payment, then as we were walking through the door to leave sue actually spoke to us, saying have a nice day in a sarcastic manner we never spoke just couldn’t wait to get out, so please beware if you want a friendly home from home hotel don’t go there!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed at the Westbourne for one night- needed somewhere near the Botanic Gardens area for the two of us.
When we arrived , we rang the bell and waited & rang again and waiting eventually the owner ( Nick) let us in and showed us to our room.Up the stairs then through a door and up a very narrow flight of stairs to the attic. We had the family room that led onto the fire escape and were told that the fire exit for the other top rooms was through our bedroom !!
We were told to mark on a sheet of paper on the hall table our breakfast choice and time.
When we were looking at the choice we heard a woman/s voice from their office - we presumed it was the owner's wife - but she never came out to greet us - just shut the door . Check out was 10.00am so we asked for a 9.00 breakfast.
Next morning the breakfast room was full - obviously everyone had booked a 9.00am breakfast. Nick was the only one serving - though everyone was served quickly.
The only problem was that once everyone was served he didn't come back. The orange juice jug was not replenished and our bread basket which had contained just two slices of bread cut in half was not refilled. We waited and eventually just got our luggage and checked out. Nick appeared just in time to take our money.
Would we stay here again ? no

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 13 July 2008

My Spanish girlfriend had just arrived in the UK, and I had been invited to a friend's wedding in Sheffield. I thought this was a great opportunity to splash out a little and book somewhere fancy. The West Bourne was in the Michelin Guide and it looked really good on the web site. On the phone the co-owner Sue was really friendly and we had a nice chat as she had lived in Glasgow previously. The only room available for the weekend was the four poster, so I went ahead and made the reservation, also sorting out the car hire for the weekend.

When we arrived, the co-owner Nick seemed a little confused when we announced our booking for the weekend. He left to consult his partner.

Now, at this stage I have to confess that I have stayed in a lot of hotels, pensions, B&Bs, etc. all over the world. I did a year trip solo traveling through some pretty rough places, recent war zones, and poverty stricken areas in the Middle East and Eastern Europe. However nothing I have ever experienced in any hotel has ever come close to what happened next.

Sue, the co-owner emerged from another room, and what followed was a tyrannical outburst of angry malice. I was so shocked I really didn't know how to react. My girlfriend looked on amazed. Nick stood there sheepishly as his partner asserted that we had only booked one night, pushing her badly written notes in our face, accusing us of lying, of having messed up, all in the nastiest manner imaginable.

If I hadn't been driving for hours and if I hadn't been late for the wedding reception, I would have walked out right there.

It all made their brochure and web site about hospitality and a home away from home seem totally incredible.

Making a mistake is OK. Maybe it really was my fault. But to go about it like that just beggars belief.

The hotel maybe nice, the location fine, the rooms clean. But nobody ever expects to have an experience like that at a place that claims to be a friendly professional establishment.

The next day we cleared out to the Fulwood Inn along the road. The friendly cleaner offered us a coffee while we waited to check in. What a difference.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)