“This is a B&B, not a hotel, and owners were unwelcoming and surly.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
The Westbourne House Hotel
Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Cambridge
“This is a B&B, not a hotel, and owners were unwelcoming and surly.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

No confirmation of our booking was received, despite repeated requests. The parking was very limited. Our room was pleasant but access to it was awkward. The 'welcome' given us was of the Fawlty Towers variety, without the humour - we were told when we should arrive, which happened to be inconvenient. The price charged was higher than we had been quoted. The couple who run the establishment could, and should, do much better. As it is now, this is well-situated B&B, but a good, welcoming hotel it is not; our stay was an unpleasant experience thanks to the reception committee, which might have passed muster in the 70's Soviet Union but was entirely unacceptable in today's Europe.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RogCambridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Well, we didn't actually stay there - the hotel phoned me just before we left to say that they are closed between 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm, and as we'd been planning to arrive about 3.30pm, we were forced to find another hotel at very late notice. Yes, it said in the small print about this, so that is my fault - but when my booking was confirmed, it said check in between 1.30pm and 10.00 pm. I'd booked 5 weeks before, so why wait until the day of our arrival before contacting me. (the manager said she'd left a message the week before, but there was no trace of this mysterious phone call or message). May be a brilliant B & B - can't really call itself a hotel.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank franceshd

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I were telephoned on the Friday before our stay on the Saturday to find out what time we were arriving as we were advised the proprietors go out ever afternooon. Not the way to run a 'hotel' in my view.
We immediately started to get the feeling our stay was an inconvenience.
We arrived at 1pm the next day as agreed and was greeted by a portly woman with a very frosty and unfriendly manner - who did not introduce herself ? called Sue.
The room was okay and had a four poster bed which we found comfortable. Would have liked some biscuits as part of the hospitality with our tea and coffee given the price of £85 for one night. Found a sewing needle on the floor which my husband nearly trod on !
The cooked breakfast was very basic and just enough. Felt the bed linen should be better quality and the bathroom had mould and needed re grouting.
Sorry that I can't comment more positively as we would not book again. Next time we intend to pay a little extra and stay at Sheffield Hilton Hotel which is very nice and value for money and with staff who enjoy their work !

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne1962
Haifa, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2010

There are a few rooms on the first floor, which all have the doors coming out to a tiny corridor, which is unpleasant. The bed seemed new and was comfortable.

We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but when we arrived we found out that we can't connect to their internet service (promised as part of their service). This was after visiting about 7 different locations in Europe and the UK, with never having any problem with our WiFi on 2 different laptops. We told them that having internet is essential for us, and we can't stay if they can't solve the problem. First they blamed our computers, then all computers of people who came from the US (although we told them we did not come from the US, it was just a US accent), and finally they admited that a friend put this system together for them, they don't understand anything in it, and can't afford professional support. We asked to cancel our reservations, but they insisted on charging us the full price of 3 nights, unless they find someone else for the other nights, although we felt they did not supply an essential service they advertise.
Another incident: when we mentioned that one of the drawers is filthy, Sue, the owner, said she knows about it, and it's because last week someone from our country stayed there...
We mentioned these issues to our host at the university, and he said that he heard from other guests he had, that the place is good as long as you don't ask for anything. Any special request or any complaint - gets that kind of reaction.

We will never go there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

I booked the Westbourne for my parents' stay in Sheffield. The woman who took my booking insisted, quite reasonably, that she take my card payment so that the booking was secured. This was fine. However, with just 48 hours til their visit, she called to say that someone else who was a more important customer had been given my room. She had identified an alternative nearby and I asked if she could look into negotiating the same rate as this was a far more expensive option. I was told that if I took that attitude she "didn't feel inclined to help me". I thought this was amusing so called the Fulwood Inn to see if I could just ensure I had somewhere guaranteed for my parents asap. They were lovely - by the way - and booked me in. When the Westbourne called back and said that I would have to go the Fulwood I requested that they pay the difference due to the inconvenience called and could she look into this. Then it got very strange! She started screaming down the phone that she has spent and hour and a half sorting out an alternative room and that if I wasn't happy "Do what you've gotta do" and bizarrely hung up on me! Great customer service!!!!! I run a business in the area so am pretty happy this was a family booking as i would NEVER recommend somewhere that treated people like this to any businesses or journalists that I book into accommodation in Sheffield.
What a strange lady!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Devon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

We actually wrote this letter of complaint at the time, but never got around to sending it. I am delighted to now be able to post it now.

To the proprietors, Westbourne House Hotel.

I am writing to complain about the service we received while staying at the Westbourne House Hotel, September 2007. I can assure you that it was by far the worst service that either of us have ever received from a British hotel.

Your behaviour was, quite frankly, astonishing. We telephoned at 8.30 pm to let you know when we expected to arrive – 10.30 pm – which you informed us was ‘completely unacceptable’. In the course of our work, we have both stayed in hotels and guest houses all over Britain. Whenever we have expected to arrive at a hotel or guest house after 9 pm, we have telephoned to apologise to the proprietors, who may need to make particular arrangements. In your case, you made it abundantly clear that our predicted time of arrival was supremely inconvenient, even threatening to cancel our reservation if we didn’t arrive promptly. Bearing in mind the fact that we were driving (and the distance we had travelled), and indeed the fact that you are currently recommended by the AA (a motoring association), we think that it was extremely reckless and irresponsible of you to make such threats. Were we supposed to drive at greater speed for you? It was an extraordinarily unreasonable demand – not least because we kept you informed of our traffic problems and in any case had arrived by 11 pm, which is hardly very late.

Your behaviour was most unfriendly, deeply unprofessional, and profoundly unaccommodating.

Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank 1599
South Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

My Husband was having an operation, in the hospital for a tumor, not a nice time, we booked into the so called Hotel, we had a call on the way there from the lady owner (I can't remember her name) saying what time were we coming as they were going out. I found this strange from a hotel. When we arrived we found out it was a B&B,they showed us to our room, which was nice and clean.

We had an awful nights sleep as the bed had sunk in the middle, we mentioned it in the morning and said they would sort it. I also asked if they could toast me some of my wheat free bread as I have a wheat allergy, they said no, but later relented. We left for the hospital.

After a very grueling day I left my husband in the Hospital and asked the lady owner had managed to sort the bed. I was not prepared for the rudness and objectionalble behaviour. She said "what do you expect me to do about it" I was very upset and feeling low, now I felt close to tears. I locked myself in the room, and asked for a cancellation. The following morning the husband came down to breakfast and told me they had cancelled further nights and I could leave.

I was very relieved to go and booked into a plush hotel in Sheffield for the same money.

This place was very over priced and I felt like an intruder in someoned home they were extremely rude. This was an experience that I would not like again.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business