“Friendly owner- good value-clean-no fakeness-character” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thornsett House

Thornsett House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
Thornsett House
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Friendly owner- good value-clean-no fakeness-character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed over with my Mum as we were visiting a sick relative in a residential home and needed somewhere nearby and cheap to stay. Des is a great guy- full of interesting chat and a character and above no fake plasticy smiles from him.

We used it for a bed to sleep in and a place to eat a hearty well cooked full english breakfast and then back to the nursing home for another chance to visit the relative. The price Des wanted was very reasonable. He was busy glossing up with painting the entrance hall when we met him- this place is clean with clean linen and a tradition Victorian Villa type house.

Des showed us where the best places to eat were and we had a really good quality Indian on the London Road nearby and then strolled back to the room. This was situated at the top of the house and very quiet.

What could I have got elsewhere for the same money? Probably a very bland looking room at a motel type place and then an expensive breakfast at a "Little Thief" type restaurant over the car park with doors being slammed all night and absolutely no conversation whatsoever...............ummm ....

Thanks Des- will be returning soon I hope!

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank ctd3exw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Waterlooville, Hants
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

I stayed here for 1 night only as I need something quickly and cheap. I was due to stay up to a week, but after the 1st night I left. While the owner was accommodating when booking the room and in welcoming me in, overall the hotel wasn't. The room I stayed in was basic, with a hand basin, and TV with basic channels which would have been fine. The shower room was ok too, but no towels. I would have been happy to stay here at that point, but the smell of smoke wafted through the house to the room i was in and it wasn't pleasant. It seemed to get worse during the night. I slept ok. I didn't use the shower as I didn't have a towel but it was clean. I get up at 7:45 and the owner said he'd be up to sort out breakfast. When I walked into the eating area there was another guest who had been waiting for 3o mins for him to sort out breakfast. The table hadn't been set, nte sink was full of dirty mugs, and a paintbrush was lying by the sink. There were also frying pans with fat that had solidified for what appeared to be a couple of days.

I decided that i couldn't stay there for another night, grab my bags and left; finding accommodation elsewhere later in the day. I emailed the owner with my comments and said I'd pay for the use of the bed, but not the full amount if an invoice was supplied. He replied back apologising for not getting up and agreed not to take any money.

So, bed ok; smoky house no thanks; dirty dining area no thanks. If you want only a cheap bed this is fine, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. I know that if you pay a little you don't get much, but you should at least get clean, smoke-free and tidy.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2010

I stay at the hotel back in 2006 for a period of 2 weeks as needed somewhere to stay inbetween moving houses.
Des was fantastic every morning breakfast was made for me and i joined him in his kitchen for a nice chat each morning.
The rooms were basic but thats what you pay for and the conversations with Des well made up for it.
Its withint easy reach of the town centre and they could not do enough for you.
a fantastic cheap B&B with friendly owner who has some really good stories to tell you over a well cooked breakfast and cup of tea.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank bags880
Luxembourg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

No problem at all when we telephoned to say we'd be an hour and a half later than intended. We were greeted with a warm welcome and offered tea. It's a beautiful Victorian house in a quiet leafy part of Sheffield. Value for money is outstanding and a breakfast that sets you up for the day. Would certainly return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LuxembourgWanderer
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

Having visited Sheffield to watch the snooker, myself and partner booked into Thornsett House just 10 minutes away from the city centre. Upon arrival I was greeted by the owner Des, a person of charm and character. His witty welcoming was what we needed after a long journey, none of the fake smiles and cardboard welcoming which you usually recieve when entering hotels!..The room was clean and light, very welcoming, toilets and showers nice and clean. Before departing in the morning we were served a beautiful wholesome english breakfast, far to much to finish! by a lovely lady whose name was kitty, friendly and funny! Great value for a bed and breakfast which to us England has lost with all the new big hotels! If you wish to visit Sheffield, we greatly recommend this B & B, if great traditional english food and humour with value is what you require. Will be visiting again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony026
Den Haag
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

As a regular visitor of Sheffield, who wants a friendly, comforting place to stay for a few days in a Foreign Country I am charmed by Thornsett House and its landlord Des and his help Kitty. The bus 22, which has a stop right next to Thornsett House, will take you straight into the Middle of Sheffield (buy a ticket to the Crucible) and transport you save home in the evening with only a very short walk to the house. Des does take excellent care of his visitors, will cook a great English Breakfast for you if you want, and is kind enough to answer all questions about English Habits, will introduce you to the Pub Life if you want, or tell you where to find the place which you want to go to, or will even take you to this place in his car or even take you to the Train- or Bus-station when you need to be there when you are leaving. It is certainly not comparable to a Hotel, so do not expect that kind of high-end service, but hey, it is a small B&B at a véry reasonable price. So I return again and again, meanwhile developing more and more the feeling that I have a "home-from-home" and feel comfortable in those basic furnished rooms I have become accustomed to. And a double duvet or heating in your room can be arranged, you just have to ask for it, as you can always ask for all the other things you might want or need. Thornsett House is being substantially renovated at the moment, so you might meet a builder if you stay in during the day in this time (October 2009) or builders stuff. But Kitty, the help, and Des do their utmost to make me feel welcome each time I stay in Thornsett House and for me it is the best, friendly and safe place in Sheffield to return to!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank MsJos
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

I stayed 2 nights and was very satisfied. Des the landlord was chatty and helpful, cooked a lovely breakfast and took me to the station which was great. The house is currently being renovated so naturally it is in a bit of a builder's mess. It wont appeal to those who prefer hotels, but if you can accept this, it is a very friendly, tree-lined quiet and safe environment. The bus is at the end of the road and it is easy to get to the city. Plenty of Chinese eating places down the road within 15 minutes walk.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business