“Family Visit”

National Emergency Services Museum
Ranked #13 of 171 things to do in Sheffield
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Emergency Services Museum is located in one of Yorkshires first purpose built combined Police, Fire and Ambulance Stations in the centre of Steel City, Sheffield.Opened in 1983 with just 2 Fire Engines and a few small exhibits and only 2 of the buildings 46 rooms open for the public to view the museum has grown and grown year by year. Now with thousands of exhibits and 26 exhibition areas, around 45 vehicles on display and not forgetting many more exhibits and vehicles currently in storage ready to be displayed we are still developing. The Museum is a Registered Charity and does not receive any major funding. Everything that you see here at the museum has been achieved by donations and your entry fee's.We are always working to update the museum and make the museum more hands-on and interactive for visitors!
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I went with two 7 year old boys and a 4 year old girl. We all enjoyed it, a variety of police and fire vehicles, memorabilia, police cells, café and a volunteer who slid down the fire pole. Brill.

1  Thank barma

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend had brought these tickets off-line & I didn't know anything about this place (nor did anyone else I asked) so I Just went along, exspecting a small little museum that would last 5mins...but when we pulled up in the car park across the road it instantly gave another story. This place was huge..three floors and so much interesting information everywhere. My boyfriends friend wants to be a police special and gave us even extra information. We spent a full Sunday here. Everyone who's seen my photos on twitter, Facebook & onstage have all commented and I think you'll have plenty of new customers. THANK-YOU National Emergency Services museum... everyone go it's a great interesting place full if information for all ages

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have 2 very discerning children whose first reaction to the prospect of doing anything which doesn't involve watching TV or messaging friends on Instagram with suspicion. Normally, the museum, castle, gallery or event we drag them to eventually wins them round, especially if there a play area or interactive exhibits or a decent cafe. Sadly, not even the unexpected "treat" of seeing graphic police photographs of some infamous murder scenes and a 3 minute ride in a green goddess fire tender was enough to do the trick on this occasion. Disappointingly, the "Can we go home now?" pleas started within 10 minutes of our arrival.
This is certainly a trip down memory lane for the over 50s but it hasn't got enough child-centred interest to overcome its dusty, musty and slightly uncared for condition to make it a "must do" activity for families who live in the area. This is an heir-loom frozen in time and maintained on a shoe-string by many willing volunteers rather than a living and vibrant 21st century museum, so do adjust your expectations accordingly.

2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Had a Living Social voucher (£4.00 for 2 people - normal price is £5.00 for an adult ticket) for this museum. Parked just over the road as the museum itself has no parking facilities. We took my elderly parents with us and they were only able to see what was on the ground floor as there are a few flights of uneven stone steps up to the other floors and no lifts or other assistance. For this reason I am glad I didn't pay full price. My husband and I did see the whole of the museum including the upstairs exhibits and enjoyed what we saw. There was a 1940s event on at the museum today which made the atmosphere a bit livelier than I imagine it would have been otherwise. On the whole an interesting visit and for £2.00 each I won't complain.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On a typical wet weather day, we finally managed to get to this museum. The children were justifiably excited and so this was a great option. Parking is easy and right across the road, and the museum staff are friendly. There are a number of fire engines that the children can clamber over, and (rather oddly), at the top of the building, a large model railway - they liked this the best!! The staff have thoughtfully provided little steps for small children to see!
There are plenty of firefighting exhibits, in the old fire station, and even a very tall (the tallest) firefighters pole - which was demonstrated for us! The old police cells were interesting, with a macarbe but equally interesting display of murder articles and culprits. The children got to walk around, climb things and generally have fun - the name of the game!
Now the negatives.. Not enough police cars... and: stairs. There was no access upstairs for the pushchair which was a shame - but not surprising given the age of the building - we were told there was buggy parking, but didn't try it. The museum features lots of steps and trip hazards - take care with children. The signage is a little jumbled or non existent, and there isn't really enough information about the exhibits - which are also a little jumbled. If you want to touch/feel then great. If you're there for history and information, you may have to look a little deeper. Overall though - this was a good, well priced, and interesting trip out for the children on a rainy day and I would recommend a visit! - set aside about 1-2hrs before the children start to go crazy!!!

2  Thank JK695