“Historic” 5 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Historic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Love this place, very interesting visitors centre with exhibitions & a place to grab some refreshments. The grounds are very interesting as is the Turret House. This site is run by a group of people who do an excellent job & there are events throughout the year. Just down the road but run by the same body of people is a delightful café/restaurant that serves lovely home grown food during the day & serves dinner in the evening, they also cater for parties of people & host birthday parties for adults & children. There is also a farm where they grow & prepare their own food & an assortment of animals. Fascinating place

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Huw P

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Sheffield's hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Fantastic historical site in the middle of Sheffield. Medieval ruins and an small but very beautiful turret house. Recent addition of a visitors centre makes it an excellent place for all the family to visit. Has a helpful website.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank AllisonRebekka
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I visited Manor Lodge last week for the first time, only recently discovering it in spite of living only 15 minutes away!
I wanted to visit as, having just started a small craft business from home, I had found on the internet that there are workshops on the site available to rent, which I may be interested in doing in the future.
It was a beautiful day, and at first I went into the wrong entrance, which is at the top end of the site (the workshops and cafe are at the bottom). I had a little wander round, and soon realised that the place I wanted to be was quite a walk away down a hill, and the sandals I was wearing weren't really suitable (never mind the trek back uphill in very hot conditions!).
However, I did stand and admire the astonishing view before I left. Nearly the whole of Sheffield was laid out before me, and the peace and quiet was amazing to say I was in the suburbs of a major city. The site is also planted up with millions of wild flowers, and I stopped to take pictures on my phone. A vole ran across the path in front of me, and there were insects, bees and butterflies enjoying the abundant nectar available to them.
I eventually drove down to the bottom entrance of the site, where there is another car park, and wandered up a small lane and through a gate to the enchantingly named Rhubarb Shed Cafe.
I ordered a cappuccino, and while the lovely Tony was pouring it for me, confessed that it was my first visit. He told me a little bit about the place, then asked me where I wanted to sit.
I wanted to be outside (where there were several tables and chairs) but in the shade. The tables with umbrellas were occupied, so he asked me if I would like to sit in the summerhouse, which was a little way across the yard. He fetched the key as it hadn't been opened yet that day, carried my coffee across for me, and tidied away a few books that had been left around by visiting children the day before. I got settled in the doorway where there was a slight breeze, and after a few minutes saw Tony approaching again, carrying a small plate.
He had very kindly brought me a free flapjack that had broken whilst he was removing it from the tin, joking that it was a first visit gift. Where else would you get service like that?!
I spent a pleasant half hour with my coffee and flapjack, looking across the yard of what used to be a farm, then when I had finished, wandered amongst the few pens containing rabbits, and round to where they keep pigs, chickens and further away in a field, horses. Again, there was a stunning view, if not quite as good as from the top of the hill. Around the back of the cafe is a small nursery, where they sell the plants that they grow.
I had a walk to where the artist's studios are, but they are enclosed by a fence and locked gate and there was no one around to ask if I could go inside, so I will have to ring to arrange that, but from the outside it is a very interesting, purpose built studio with a green roof and partial green walls.
I would recommend looking at the website and paying a visit. It is especially good for families, with lots of room for young ones to run off their energy whilst the older ones sit and have a nice snack. Well worth an afternoon's visit.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Shiregirl678
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very good free attraction ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We visited Manor Lodge for the first time yesterday and we're very pleasantly surprised. It is a really interesting free attraction close to the city centre. Nothing was open but the information signs were interesting and the open days were clearly advertised. It a obviously a work in progress but still well worth a visit as it's a beautiful site. We are planning to go back on an open day and pay the £2 for a guided tour. Bargain.

5 Thank KHQ89
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Fantastic afternoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

What a hidden gem this place is!! Spent a wonderful few hours here with my 8 year old daughter and her friend. The discovery centre is full of wonderful information about the place and surrounding area and the ruins are fabulous to see, and the staff are brilliant The best part being the Turret House. We attended a pottery workshop which was fabulous. The play area and land/walks around Manor Lodge were unexpectedly fantastic, no doubt enhanced by the lovely weather today! Such a tremendous vantage point to view the city in all it's glory. If you haven't been yet - go!!

Visited February 2014