“Worked just fine”

Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Bangkok, Thailand
“Worked just fine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I got our room for a deal from hotels.com. All in all, the hotel was a fine place. My biggest complaints are 1- the bed sagged a LOT in the middle and was a bit hard. However, the pillow choices that they gave us made up for quite a bit. They do specifically designate firm and soft pillows for each bed. 2- there was no clock in the room. Although the TV came equipped with a wake-up call service, all it did was turn the television on. There was no sound, so had I not already been awake, this could have posed a major problem. 3- This is not the best area of Sheffield. Originally I booked the place thinking that I would be happy to see a bit more of the city, and the pictures made the little river area next to the hotel seem attractive. Trust me, it is not a pretty area. The stream is dingy and full of litter, and when I had to walk through the area at night I was warned not to go alone as it was not particularly safe. That being said, I never met any shady characters or folks involved in suspicious looking activities, but as I said, it's not a great area of Sheffield. However, back at the hotel, the breakfast was good. It had eggs, beans, sausage, yogert, rolls, croissants, fruit, coffee, juice, etc. The eggs were made in such a way so that they almost had the consistency of custard. I liked them, my husband didn't. I might stay there again if I'm not traveling alone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
SVandevelde, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback.

It is true to say we had some problems in the area just before x'mas , but so did all the other hotels. The area is as safe and unsafe as you make it.

I look forward to see you again in our new hotel

Best regards
Steven Vandevelde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I don't usually stay at a HIX but the lure of attractive 'opening' rates,convenient location and a brand new hotel got the better of me! Whilst the lobby area was typically that of budget hotel of this type the fixtures and fittings in the room were far superior to most properties in this price range. The room itself was also larger than normal and a comfortable bed made up for the 'coldness' of the downstairs area.Indeed, on checkout I was contemplating even staying there again on my next visit to the city.The reason that I haven't was the bill for parking that I received some 4 weeks later from a third party firm who obviously have been given the contract of securing income from the hotel's car park. It was a mere-£95pounds! No-one bothered to ask me at check-in or check-out if I had a car in the car park and I assumed when nothing appeared on the bill the following morning that this was a 'perk' of being a Platinum Priority Club member. I hope that they invest the money wisely in staff training for the benefit of future customers but hotels which use these 'schemes'( the word scam also comes to mind!) as an easy way to maximise profits should realise that in the long run they are the losers as all it does is alienate the customers and benefit their competitors who have a more hospitable and professional approach to guests who happen to have the inconvenience of using the hotel's own car park.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank JLJAMZ
Dear Guest

Feel free to email me direct regading your car park charge as I can get this waived from the company that manages the spaces.

There are however signs all around the carparking and pay and dispay machines highlighting the cost of carparking.

As all other city centre hotels space and carparking comes at a premium and is no longer free.

my email gm@holidayinnsheffield.co.uk

poole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Excellent value - quiet room with the very latest smart Holiday Inn Express Format. Room looked hardly used. Wasnt recognised as a Priority Customer on arrival and the same bland breakfast. How come every HIEXP Ive stayed in in the past year have cold baked beans!!

Anyway great value and within walking distance of Sheffield Centre

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback.

I will look into why the free breakfast had cold items on the display and we have hotplates to keep them warm thoughout.

Hope to welcome you back soon

Leiden, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights - £34 p/n for 2 inc breakfast - excellent value.
Rooms are all alike, modern and attractive.
Some rooms have a view of the River Don.
Breakfast is standard HIx but perfectly good and excellent for the money.
Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast is from 6:30-10:30 but you could still get drinks for a while after this.
Location is excellent - just 10 minute walk from City Centre and station.

Room Tip: I always try to stay on a high floor to avoid noise, however, noise is not a big problem in this loc...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback

hope to welcome you back soon

Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We found ourselves once again in Sheffield for the swimming at Ponds Forge. We had a very good 2 nights sleep, the bed was comfortable, the pillows great and NO Noise. The room was up to date, tidy but could have done with a better clean. Bathroom clean and it was great to see a large walkin shower, good for my disabled son. Downside towels were dirty, and no bathmat on the second night, slippery tiles, I almost fell after a shower.
The bar food was ok although it would be nice to see some pasta on the menu. Staff friendly and efficient. Would I stay again yes.

Room Tip: Most rooms look to be in a quiet area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

I was sorry to learn the bath linnen was not up to scratch.

I will monitor and adress with the innen company as we strive for the best standards at all times.

Many thanks for brining this to my attention and I hope to welcome you back for your next swimming gala.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

When booking online it said WiFi but did not state that this is a subject to a separate charge. Neither did it state that you have to pay extra for parking.

Also on the subject of WiFi, it says 'high speed' but it actually is 512kbps (says on the leaflet and measured). Not very high speed, appalling in fact.

Other than that rooms very nice and clean.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest

I would be interested to know where you found the information on Wifi and carparking as we have always charged as many other city centre properties.

feel free to contact me direct as I would like to rectify the website that has this conflicting information.

Steven Vandevelde ( gm@holidayinnsheffield.co.uk)
Aylesbury, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Overall the hotel was modern and well located - we were visiting our son at Sheffleld Hallam University. However, we asked twice to be changed to a different room as the first two rooms were dirty. In both of the bathrooms the toilet seat was splattered with urine on the seat and pan - clearly the toilet had not been cleaned. I only noticed just before using the toilet as the lighting was quite dim - thankfully I did see. In future I shall take a good look as I always expect an ensuite to be clean! Also in the second room the surfaces around the sink had not been wiped and still had toothpaste stains from the last occupant.

The third room we were given was ok although I did worry as to whether the sheets had been changed as although they looked clean there was obviously a problem with the supervision of the cleaners.

The reception staff were very helpful and apologetic and I cannot fault them - but I would be wary of staying in this hotel again, due to poor standards of cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

many thanks for your feedback.

I can confirm we have identified the cleaner that was not performing as we and you would expect and has since left the property.

I can ensure you this is not our normal high standard as you can tell from the many other reviews.

I hope you will try us again. feel free to contact me direct

Steven Vandevelde ( gm@holidayinnsheffield.co.uk)