“Not so clean.”

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Derbyshire
“Not so clean.”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We have stayed here before, and it was clean this time not so, a large stain on the carpet beside the bed was very off putting. The rest of the room and bathroom were clean, nice shower, but I did not expect to find POO on the towel, after a shower and hair wash I took the towel from the towel rail, and put it around me, after drying my back I noticed something on the towel, yes poo dried on poo, I felt sick, second shower and a good look at the second towel. Left me less than happy. I did have a 10% reduction in my bill, but was unable to eat breakfast. First thing I did when I came home yes shower.

The last room we had was a family room with a lovely bed, this time it was so hard, I woke up with a sore neck.

Room Tip: Room 1214 has a very hard bed.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Sally444Derbyshire,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. I am glad you liked our location. I want to assure you we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations, especially with the room accommodations received.

I appreciate you bringing this into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
East Midlands
Reviewed 19 July 2012

What a night hotel I had the pleasure to stay in. The staff were friendly & the rooms were so nice. In a good location next to the river & 5mins walk to the city centre. Room was comfortable well air conditioned & a nice big tv on the wall to watch :-) bathroom was excellent, big shower and very clean tidy & modern :-) breakfast was good, shame they don't do bacon & fried eggs but very good selection. I would happily stay here again. 10 out of 10 excellent hotel

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank damokins1982
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

The hotel while located in the quiet part of town is easy to find. We are happy with the room size as well as the views being a corner unit with full glass panels. The beds were comfortable and gave us the needed rest from jet lag. Rooms and Bath were clean enough. There are no frills provided, just basic needs...no conditioner, lotion etc, be forwarned as this is "express" There were no wardrobe too, just hanger space. The good thing is they provide tea and coffee but no fridge. Neither was there a safe.

Breakfast was inclusive in our room rates, very basic and consistent throughout our 4 night stay, enough to get by for mornings...perhaps Holiday Inn should consider including eggs!

We parked our car in the open carpark next to the hotel and paid the charges. Unfortunately the hotel only come with free internet usage on 2 computers at the lobby, paid internet is possible in the rooms.

Not bad value considering the price that comes with small inconvenniences!

Room Tip: Room 1402 is good. Corners enjoy views and you can catch the sun setting and sunrise too!
Ohio
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Simply put this is a very nice hotel for business travel. Rooms were clean large and bed was slightly above average.

The restaurant food was good although the dinner menu is limited, the breakfast buffet was more than suffiecient and good. The Gaymers on tap was excellent. The cooling unit was a bit inconsistent, but only significantly noticeable on the last night. It’s close to the bus and train station and central to downtown Sheffield.

Service was good and the staff was friendly. They seemed to really want to be provide good service. Internet was not free, but it did have a lower price for smart phones and pads than PC’s. this was provided some savings although the wifi portal was a third party company and a bit inconvenient.

Overall this hotel was a good value and I would stay there again for a business trip to Sheffield, UK.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

For a holiday Inn express this is a fab hotel. The express version is not meant to be deluxe but this one actually is. Its quite new, everything is clean and gorgeous. The bathroom is good size with fab fittings and a superb shower room. Bed was large and good quality.

Only niggles was 1) the exhaust sound in the bathroom. It never stopped and was hissing all night. This appears to be a problem with most hotels. There is always a fan whirring somewhere in the depths of the hotel and pipes its sounds to every hotel room. So not a problem just with this hotel, it is a universal niggle. 2) The cleaner needs to hover dust from corners. 3) the heating/cooling unit is flashy and new. The controls are not intuitive so had to wiggle with it for about 10 mins before it switched off. No instructions anywhere. No one sleeps with a fan blowing at home so why in a hotel room?

Breakfast was not bad for a HI express. Check in staff very pleasant and efficient. For £55 a night i will stay here every time i am in Sheffield. Its that good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Very good value for money. Rooms were very clean and breakfast would have cost £15 minimum per couple at a well known coffee chain. Staff very friendly here and everywhere in Sheffield.

I appreciated the choice of hard or soft pillow but both of them seemed a bit small also the blue lighting wasn't brilliant in the bathroom but these are really small gripes compared to the good bits.

We'd have no hesitation in recommending.

Mississauga
Reviewed 4 July 2012

First off the free continental breakfest that came with my stay was delightful. In Canada, continental breakfest means toast, juice, and maybe a side of cereal. In sheffield, continental breakfest meant eggs, bangers, cereal, different kinds of juices, toast, croissants, coffee, tea's, and danishes. I was always in a rush in the morning and it keep me full until lunch!

Service was great, clean linens, my contant removal of the "hard" "soft' on each pilow seemed to be noticed and during my stay was no longer put on my pillows. Little things like that make you feel noticed. Location was awesome, I walked everywhere or cab ribes are essentially no more than 4 pounds to the main shops.

My only complaint is the mattress. Honestly i had a terrible mattress. I felt the springs and although couldn't wait to jump into bed with all those fresh linens one looks forward to at a hotel. I dredded the mattress, my back was damn uncomfortable. Also there was no mini fridge or safe.

Room Tip: inquire about the matresses. Inquire about mini fridge Inquire about in room safe
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business