“Good quality budget hotel close to transport links” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre

Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good quality budget hotel close to transport links”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Close to the railway station, trams and bus interchange, city centre and Sheffield Hallam University. Neat modern rooms with wifi and breakfast included, parking available. Iron and ironing board can be collected from reception. Pleasant and helpful staff.
Bar, snacks and evening meals available within the hotel, although there are plenty of fast food outlets nearby, and pubs and restaurants 5-10 minutes walk into the city centre.
Would like to have seen a room safe for laptop and valuables, and biscuits seem to have disappeared so bring your own! Slightly away from the centre so look up the location to save getting lost.

Room Tip: I have been a number of rooms on different floors and they are much the same. It's the other gue...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hermann B, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that we can welcome back to the hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here for one night on a mums and daughter's weekend. We chose this hotel as it was good value for money and included a free buffet breakfast. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly, efficient receptionist. Although we were earlier than the stated check-in time, we were able to go to our rooms straight away. On entering the room we saw that is was very clean and a good size. The bathroom was spotless and modern and the power shower was great. The beds were comfortable and you could choose what temperature you required the room to be. Breakfast the next day was quite basic but perfectly acceptable for a buffet style. All staff on duty at the bar or reception were very friendly and helpful and provided us with extra tea/coffee and sugar when requested. Overall, it was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappyDerby
Hermann B, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am really please that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we can welcome you back when you are next visiting Sheffield.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel on Saturday night whilst visiting the city. I normally come to Sheffield several times a year and stay at an another hotel but as I was booking with only a week to go my 'usual' hotel was very expensive so I decided to try out this one as the price/location was reasonable. I was not disappointed.

This is supposed to be a budget hotel but I was very impressed. Everything is of a good to high quality. From the amazing bathroom featuring a powerful hot shower, thick fluffy towels, large beds, large spacious rooms, a wide choice of TV channels to the good selection at breakfast. Our room had dual aspect large windows overlooking the river and was lovely at night with the lights reflecting off the water. The bed was firm and comfy, and I had a great sleep with a choice of soft or hard pillows. We heard no noise from other rooms or guests.

Some people have moaned on here about breakfast so I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. Most hotels now charge around £10 for breakfast, in fact when I was looking for a hotel to stay at in Sheffield, other hotels which were even more expensive did not include breakfast so the fact it was included was a bonus. Also baring in mind this is a budget hotel there was a vast choice of options. Far more than expected and I was stuffed when I left. There is a choice of coffees, teas and juices. A selection of 'tinned' fruit. i.e. grapefruit, orange segments, etc. A good selection of about 5 different cereals, a selection of pastries (pain au chocolate, croissants, etc), jams, a variety of different flavoured yogurt pots, toast, sliced bread and a small selection of hot choices (sausages, scrambled eggs and baked beans). The staff kept everything topped up regularly and you could go back and help yourself as much as you wanted. Perfect start to the day.

My only problem, and the reason for a score of 4 and not a 5, is with the car park. At the entrance to the hotel car park, you pass an NCP car park on your right but there is a separate sign pointing straight on for the 'hotel guest car park'. Therefore when you enter the hotel car park you expect the prices displayed to be for the hotel guests. We paid and displayed for a 24 hour period. This cost £8. However when we then entered the hotel to check in the woman at reception was quite short with us and said if we had read the small print at the bottom of the car park sign it is only £5 for hotel guests. No £3 refund was offered. I know it was our own fault as we had not read all of the sign within the actual hotel car park but I felt the signs were a little mis-leading. The sign as we entered made us believe that the car park was for hotel guests only so we didn’t even think there may be separate charges. Also how many people read all of the writing on the signs within a car park? It was our fault I realise but from how short the woman at reception was with us this must happen a lot, so it could be more clearly displayed.

Overall we would return, the hotel was great, just what we needed at the right price in a good walkable location into Sheffield. This may be our new 'usual' Sheffield hotel....and next time we'd know about the car park!!

Room Tip: A corner room overlooking the Wicker, and river gives you dual aspect views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy F
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.
We are currently looking at trying to get some signs that direct people towards our car park so that this is not as confusing. We have previously put signs next to the multi story car park but they have been unfortunately removed by the owners.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Sheffield.
pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Front desk staff is wonderful. The hotel is modern and the rooms are spacious. Weekdays are nice and peaceful, but the weekend crowd is busy at breakfast with kids running around. Some drunks at the bar on Saturday night

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
Thank you very much for your kind comments on our team, it is always nice to hear possotive feedback.
I am sorry if other guest did disturb you during your stay.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for a night out in Sheffield. Room was clean and tidy, bathroom was especially clean! Staff were really helpful on our arrival, let us check in early and offered advice about where to go in the city centre. It was cheap and breakfast was included in the price.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alice B
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is always so nice to hear that people have enjoyed there time at the hotel.
I hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit Sheffield.
Ipswich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in February. I am an IHG member but was not welcomed as such which was a bit offputting at the start.
However, over the 2 days I was there, the staff were inpecible. The bar is great and always busy. There was a conference party staying at the hottel whilst I was there so it was full, but the staff coped brilliantly. All the tables were cleared swiftly, the bar was always manned and the reception were on the ball.Holiday Inn Expresses' are never going to be the same as the Intercontinental and you get what you pay for. But if you want a decent place to stay in Sheffield for a good price, Stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
I am sorry that you were not recognised as a reward member on your arrival.
I was however really pleased that our staff impressed you.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This was a clean reasonably priced hotel which provided all of the standard features. Limited range of cooked food at breakfast and pub type food for dinner menu. Lots of £5 parking slots available but confusing where to park. Wifi good but hotel location makes walking into city not feasible. Fine for business stay but will not be memorable.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am sorry that you found the car parking confusing, we are currently looking at trying to get some signage that directs people to the car park at the back of the hotel rather then the multi storey that is just before our hotel.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel.
Kind regards