“Comfortable and well located hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Modbury, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and well located hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here in mid-July for a reunion and was initially pleased with the service at reception and the room itself. Unfortunately, it was the breakfast which let the hotel down. The hot choice was restricted to scrambled eggs, sausages and beans. No bacon, no fried eggs, no mushrooms or hash browns - in short no traditional English breakfast. The juices were from a machine and awful. Other aspects weren't too bad but the overall impression was very underwhelming VFM given that the hotel was not particularly cheap. Shame because it is very located just outside the city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PhilgS
Hermann B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 10 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you liked your room and the service you received at reception.

I am sorry that you felt the breakfast did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately the standard for a holiday inn express hot start breakfast is a continental breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage and beans available as a hot choice.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel last minute as a night away for my boyfriends birthday. The location was good a short walk to the city centre, don't get me wrong it seemed to be on the less "glamorous" side of the city however it took less than 10minutes.
The manager in charge Parag Tawade was lovely so friendly and helpful gave us a map of the city and told us where all the local bars and resturants were. The room itself was modern and very clean floor to celling windows with good city views. Would defo recommend and stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will also pass on your comments to Parag.

We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel about 10 minutes before we set off to Sheffield for the weekend and it was quite late when we got there.

Parking was easy and it only cost £5 for the night. We got a bit lost trying to find the reception but not too badly and we were soon checked in!

We were on the first floor and it overlooked the river, it was a beautiful view.

The bed was huge! And it took me about 2 and a half rolls to get to my partner laid on the other side. There was a stain on the carpet next to the bed that didn't look very pleasant (picture to follow).

After arriving I decided to have a quick shower before we went out, the shower was beautiful with black tiles and it was very refreshing! My only concern was the bits of mould that could be seen on the grout... (I have a picture but it isn't very clear!)

We went out for the night and came back and just fell asleep! The next morning we woke up just in time to get ready and check out before 12pm but we missed our free breakfast as we weren't informed of when it would be open in the morning when we checked in :( (spoons is was then!)

My partner informed me just as we left the room that there was a sock under the chair that wasn't ours... It didn't look too cracking and I have no idea how long it had been there!

Other than that, the hotel was a lovely stay! I enjoyed myself and despite the mouldy shower, stained floor and sock under the chair, I would consider coming back again!

Stayed August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.
I am sorry that you were not informed about the breakfast on your arrival, I have spoken with the reception team to ensure that this incident does not happen again.
I can also assure you that the details that you mentioned regarding cleanliness have been addressed.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this last minute on Friday and got a great room that was spacious, comfortable and relaxing.
Cleanliness however was poor, lots of cobwebs and a mouldy old sock under the sofa.
However this didn't ruin the visit. Parking is a fiver, however there is a multi-story next door that charge £2.50. Will stay again, but not at full price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank srotideuk

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I was pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.
I was disappointed to read that the cleanliness of your room was not of our normal standard and I can assure you that this issue has now been addressed.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Kandivali, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We had second stay at holiday inn express in sheffield for long days . First time I've been in September 2013 for 20 days continues we had enjoyed staying bcoz location was superb and staff are fully cooperative , rooms are clean and tidy . So second time we came for 15 days at same hotel everything was fine .. as my son is studying at university of Sheffield and more 4 yrs we are going to be at Sheffield but third time we will not stay at hotel inn express bcoz we disappointed from ihg rewards cards system ...my membership no 908597904 and I have been updated any points for all this stay as per there rules for discount rates ... I had informed my hotel person that I am getting any discount on my stay at holiday inn express. ...at Sheffield.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stays with us.
Unfortunately IHG reward points are not offered on certain rates, however we do offer a best rate guarantee on our rates both on our website and when you book direct with us. Both of which would qualify for IHG reward points.
We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed as part of a large family group. Both my mom and my aunt had stuff stolen from their room and the staff treated them as if they were the ones that did something wrong. Serious training in how to deal with upset customers is desperately needed!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jamila D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Jamila D,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Watford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel with my wife to attend my brother in laws graduation day. The car park was ample and at £5 overnight Ok, this was paid for at check in which was super slick. We were given a room on the 4th floor overlooking the canal which was superb. We had a bed which must have been a queen size as I had to roll about 3 times to meet my wife on the other side. The room was clean and the bathroom was spotless with a massive shower which was lovely. My only gripe and this isn't the hotels fault is that we were on the other side of the city to where the university was. We didn't cab it and decided to walk through the high street not realising that Sheffield is quite hilly, suffice to say that in the evening we got a cab. In the morning we went down for breakfast which is free and consists of cereal, fruit, yoghurt, pastries, toast, sausages, scrambled egg, beans, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, fruit juices fantastic selection for no cost. Overall we would stay here again at the same rate we got it for (£51 a night) thank you to all the staff especially the night desk guy who gave us some extra milk for the room tea and coffee.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hermann B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the choice and variety at breakfast.

I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to the area.