“Does the trick”

Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Egham, United Kingdom
“Does the trick”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

HI stayed for 6 nights during a recent sporting event. Hotel is very close to the town and facilities including parking. The rooms are a good size and extremely clean. Beds are comfortable, although quite "springy". Had a good nights sleep on most of the nights and the staff were very accommodating. Great AC, which was much appreciated because it was hot weather during our stay. Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired, cooked breakfast consists of sausages, luke warm beans and something that resembles scrambled egg, but best avoided in my opinion. Plenty of good tea and toast though.

Would recommend and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear car park are the quietest.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear julesb531,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Initial impressions were ok however as I arrived a little early for check inn I was asked to wait as rooms weren't ready .
Other guests were arriving and getting rooms so after 20 mins I asked how long it would be . The staff at this point were quite rude , gave no eye contact , thrust a piece of paper for signature and produced a key card . The room was ok but the mattress so soft in the middle it was very uncomfortable , not what I'd expected . As we were only there for one night there was no point complaining just something to be aware of . Breakfast was good though .

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hermann B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to learn that you did not have a good check in experience with us. I have taken note on your comments and will be discussing with the team as this is not the usual type of service that is expected.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the breakfast selection.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel in august. It's good value but don't have the breakfast it's not very good if you like a cooked full English. But the rest is OK. The rooms are very good. And the staff are OK

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.
With regards to breakfast, unfortunately the Holiday Inn Express Hot breakfast only includes sausage, scrambled eggs and beans and is not a full English breakfast. We do offer a wide variety of continental items as well which I hoped you enjoyed.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

For £60 a night for a triple room, you can't complain. The room had lots of tea and coffee, a hair dryer, plenty of plug sockets and a decent tv. The air con was a life saver and the shower was amazing! It was all very clean as well. The only problem I had was that the beds were so uncomfortable. Each of the 3 nights I barely slept, so this was a huge problem. The breakfast wasn't very nice, but the room was packed full of people and everyone was eating so I must have been a fussy customer. The staff were polite and very friendly. I would definitely stay again and recommend it to people if I needed to.

Stayed July 2014
Modbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here in mid-July for a reunion and was initially pleased with the service at reception and the room itself. Unfortunately, it was the breakfast which let the hotel down. The hot choice was restricted to scrambled eggs, sausages and beans. No bacon, no fried eggs, no mushrooms or hash browns - in short no traditional English breakfast. The juices were from a machine and awful. Other aspects weren't too bad but the overall impression was very underwhelming VFM given that the hotel was not particularly cheap. Shame because it is very located just outside the city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PhilgS
Hermann B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sheffield City Centre, responded to this review, 10 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you liked your room and the service you received at reception.

I am sorry that you felt the breakfast did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately the standard for a holiday inn express hot start breakfast is a continental breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage and beans available as a hot choice.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel last minute as a night away for my boyfriends birthday. The location was good a short walk to the city centre, don't get me wrong it seemed to be on the less "glamorous" side of the city however it took less than 10minutes.
The manager in charge Parag Tawade was lovely so friendly and helpful gave us a map of the city and told us where all the local bars and resturants were. The room itself was modern and very clean floor to celling windows with good city views. Would defo recommend and stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will also pass on your comments to Parag.

We hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the hotel about 10 minutes before we set off to Sheffield for the weekend and it was quite late when we got there.

Parking was easy and it only cost £5 for the night. We got a bit lost trying to find the reception but not too badly and we were soon checked in!

We were on the first floor and it overlooked the river, it was a beautiful view.

The bed was huge! And it took me about 2 and a half rolls to get to my partner laid on the other side. There was a stain on the carpet next to the bed that didn't look very pleasant (picture to follow).

After arriving I decided to have a quick shower before we went out, the shower was beautiful with black tiles and it was very refreshing! My only concern was the bits of mould that could be seen on the grout... (I have a picture but it isn't very clear!)

We went out for the night and came back and just fell asleep! The next morning we woke up just in time to get ready and check out before 12pm but we missed our free breakfast as we weren't informed of when it would be open in the morning when we checked in :( (spoons is was then!)

My partner informed me just as we left the room that there was a sock under the chair that wasn't ours... It didn't look too cracking and I have no idea how long it had been there!

Other than that, the hotel was a lovely stay! I enjoyed myself and despite the mouldy shower, stained floor and sock under the chair, I would consider coming back again!

Stayed August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay with us.
I am sorry that you were not informed about the breakfast on your arrival, I have spoken with the reception team to ensure that this incident does not happen again.
I can also assure you that the details that you mentioned regarding cleanliness have been addressed.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.