Ibis Sheffield City
US$156
US$121
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$91
PremierInn.com
US$87
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsponds forgetrain stationq parkcar parkshort staydiscount vouchercentral locationbrick wallminute walkcomfy bedshower roomwould stay againwithin easy walking distancewhat it says on the tinreception areagreat showersecure parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is a scam. Last week I booked a double room. Today the day before travel they sent me an email to say they had made a mistake and double booked the room. Their first instinct wasn't to apologise for the inconvenience and arrange for alternative accommodation for myself. It was to other me another more expensive room instead which I would then be expected to pay the additional costs of my own back.

When contacting them to discuss the fact they had made an error which was then going to impact me financially at no fault of my own. I forwarded them the email I received when booking the room they then proceeded to claim they had not sent this email to myself and attempted again to up sell me another room.

If as they claimed on the phone they had not sent the email and as such had no record of my booking why had I recieced a secondary email from the same account today to inform me of their error.

This place is a joke. You think you can mess people about the day before arrival and offer no means of rectifying the mistake or atleast assistance in finding an alternative whiteout additional expense

No customer service what so ever only interested in over charging people and pressure selling.

• Stayed: July 2014
Diane B, General Manager at Ibis Sheffield City, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for this communication, however we do not have a record of your name nor we operate the procedures that you describe, we have not had cause to book anyone out from this hotel. Have you been booked out to Ibis Sheffield City Centre from another hotel perhaps? If you would like to provide more information please contact myself at the hotel and I would be pleased to look into your concerns.
email;H2891@accor.com

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I came here with 13 of my friends for my birthday. It is perfectly, centrally placed.
We were all in comfortable rooms which were perfect for what we needed.
Would definitely stay here again.
The staff were so friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We're delighted that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us at ibis Sheffield City Centre, my team and I are grateful for your kind review and we hope that we can welcome you back when one of you has another Birthday celebration !!

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a night here because t was nice and cheap and close to the city where we were going out.

We knew where the hotel was already as my partner used to love around the corner from it before moving away so we found it with no problem!

The tram is only a short walk away so it's really easy to get to!

We checked into our room and reception was quiet which I'm not surprised about because it was a Monday evening. We had to swipe our cards to get into the lift and stairs so we knew we'd be safe in our room.

When we got to our floor it was a little disorientating because there were no directions to rooms that I could see, but just a little luck we turned the right way and our room was on the right! The hallway looked old but it added character to the stay.

The bathroom was clean, apart from the hair in the toilet... It looked like someone had trimmed their ear hair into it... (Picture to follow!) but nothing a quick flush didn't solve! The door was very loud when closing it which made me very wary when trying to go for a drunken wee at 2am thinking about the neighbours!

The bed was comfy and there were plenty of pillows. There was a lack of plug sockets, one near the bathroom and one near the window. This made making a cuppa a bit difficult because I was having the lean over the other bed as we were in a family room.

Overall, it was perfect for what we needed! I would stay here again!

Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for posting this review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at Ibis Sheffield City Centre and I have noted your comment in respect of cleanliness which I take very seriously. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Sheffield in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is easy to find,well connected to the road network and has discounted parking (£7.40) for overnight in secure carpark adjacent to hotel.
We had a really quick and easy checkin at 1.30 pm.Room was usual Ibis design,now with really comfy bed and extra pillows,which along with updated blinds made the room comfortable.We paid for breakfast when we arrived as it was £5.50 if bought in advance,think it was £7.95 if paid the next morning.Breakfast was decent quality,buffet style and was worth the money.Free wifi in room was decent connection.Large walk in shower was good.Tea/coffee and biscuits provided in room.Cafe bar for food,snacks and drinks in hotel foyer.Hairdryer in room.Helpful staff available at all times.Secure access to elevator area for guests only.
Hotel is beside a tram stop,few mins on the tram and you are right in the city centre.
All in all we had a very satisfactory stay here and although the room was expensive as the Tour De France was in Sheffield!! we happy with our stay and would use this hotel again if returning to Sheffield.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm delighted that you chose to stay with us at Ibis Sheffield City Centre. My team and I really appreciate your "All good" review and hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit Sheffield.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

It's hard to believe that this hotel is part of the Ibis chain from Accor. Hotels. The experience I received here differs entirely from all of the other hotels I have stayed in.

I do not read reviews of these hotels prior to staying, so that I can gauge my own opinion rather than be swayed by others.

However, just reading the latest reviews, there seems to be a common theme at this hotel.

Location, excellent for the train station, my return train ticket from manchester was only slightly more than price of the car park offered. So if you can don't not drive here, take the train.

Check in experience, as a Le Club Gold level member, you are supposed to be afforded some additional experiences, the welcome drink was in fact most welcome. I was surprised that I didn't have to sign the till receipt for this perk which is why I usually do. I wasn't asked to see my Le club card, I wasn't asked to give my credit card to confirm my identity.

The receptionist in fact didn't seems to care about my business at all. She asked about car parking - it must be the biggest money spinner for this hotel, as a lot of the other reviewers seem to have the same experience. Car parking certainly trumps anything else. My rate didn't include breakfast, I usually decide on the day of arrival if I am going to book this, but the receptionist didn't even attempt an up sell. The staff did not also try to get people to join the loyalty scheme or the paid for ibis business card. Come on Diane ( manager) you are missing some extortion here, get the staff to offer your service. Also no mention of the on site meal service.

Free wifi throughout: this is one thing that UK ibis hotels have got right, sign in once during your stay and no additional problems of disconnection.

Late check out on request - apparently this is fine unless it's a Saturday departure as the receptionist made it very clear " we never give late check out on a Saturday as we need to get all rooms cleaned for the next lot of punters, sorry guests". So checkout had to be by 12, and despite the do not disturb sign on the door house keeping knocked at 11:30. Obviously very keen to get his work done for the next paying guest!

Room upgrade- none available at this hotel so don't get your hopes up.

I was not told if there was a hospitality corner, free newspaper or an internet staton for use, but at £1 for 20 minutes use this is very expensive. Bring your wifi enable gadgets to use the wifi for free.

Do not make the same mistake I made in the morning, sitting in the lounge area adjacent to the breakfast area, reading the free paper and watching tv, at other ibis I have always been directed to the juice drink machine as part of the hospitality so I just took a small glass of juice. Big mistake!!!!! Night receptionist came over and barked " are you having breakfast?" Answer no. Then very clearly and loudly so other guests could hear, "the juice is only for the guests who are taking breakfast" . As I hadn't put my mouth to the glass I asked him to take it away then, as £7.95 for a glass of juice is a bit too much. At this point he made it very clear that he wouldn't take it away. What a waste of a glass of juice. I felt so ashamed, this was in front of a number of guests and children, who I believe get free breakfast if the adults cough up full price.

Room was the standard layout, bed as comfortable as ever. Two pillows with an extra available. I still can't work out why only 3 pillows in a double room, but I didn't need a 4th one on this occasion.

Bathroom scrupulously clean, even smelled of chemicals when I arrived, so I know it was freshly sanitised.

TV channel selection is great for the UK visitor, not much for the ESOL visitors though.

Security guard was walking round, but I didn't make any noise so no interaction there

Check out. Was swift and functional, no, thanks for your business, no, how was your stay, no, were their any issues. I had to ask for a printed receipt, no offer to have it emailed to me which I have had at other hotels.

Would I stay here again? Not a chance, despite my loyalty to the company, there is a Travelodge next door which may well get any future business in Sheffield.

Whilst writing this review in the seating area, it's great to watch the staff go help themselves to drinks from the coffee machine.

Now they have invested in comfort for sleeping, the manager needs to divert some funding to customer service training. I suggest you send some staff to see how they do customer service at the ibis Irving Street in Birmingham, half the number of rooms, but only 2-3 visible staff in reception area! always smiling! always happy to help and offer assistance. I stay there every month and still get the full reception experience, which is always asked about in the Accor customer surveys.

So when I am asked to review this hotel I will not be able to give a glowing feedback on the key questions asked which are obviously the expected level of customer service.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front overlook a large roundabout, trams start about 6am till midnight so some noise. Also the main road is on an emergency vehicle route, so expect sirens throughout the night. I was on the 2nd floor and the view was to trees and a grassed area, not sure what could be seen higher up.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank pete191

Thank you for you review, we welcome your comments. In respect of late check out, it is offered only subject to availability and difficult to accomodate on busy departure and arrival days, our check out time is noon and check in time from 2pm, invariably guests arrive to check in earlier, in particular when groups of guests arrive together as is the case most weekends. Breakfast prices for children can vary depending on age.
The Q car park is not connected to the hotel and only guests benefit from any discounts.
We hope hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.