“Okay as a place to crash”

Ibis Sheffield City
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Stayed with a mate after a concert, and we just wanted somewhere to sleep for the night.

The room and the bathroom were clean, and in contrast to some of the other reviews we did not have any noise from other guests (we stayed on a Thursday night).

We were woken up at around 5am by the rubbish collection in the back yard or either the hotel or the pub next door. They clattered around for 10 mins so not ideal.

The breakfast was adequate for £4.95. Fruit, cereals, cheeses, bread for toast etc, not the best continental breakfast I have had, but it is pretty cheap so no complaints there.

The staff on reception were friendly.

It is on the edge of Sheffield and although the walk back at the end of the night was fine, would not have wanted to do it if i was with my girlfriend rather than a male friend.

Overall, no frills but for £42 for the night it was ideal as a place to put my head down and have breakfast in the morning. Handily placed for the train station.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank hulmebantam

Reviewed 21 August 2009

Went for the fab u2 concert.... booked months ago and was totally fleeced for the event price of £100 inc brekkie. The room itself was a bit like a hostel.. the bathroom lovely and clean but the bed... it was truly horrible, stains on the mattress, that can be seen thro the protector. The bed was a foam mattress on a wooden ... well chipboard.. board. why cant they just chuck it, even for the normal rate of £49 its s... would never stay again... no point complaining as they would just send you a free voucher... id rather knaw my own leg off than sleep in that bed again... its well put me off the ibis, ill try premier next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blueadriver
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I was booked into this 'joke' of a hotel for a company event in Sheffield on 24/25th of this month.

Rooms were basic but clean, but the 5th floor did smell of stale smoke.

On my first night I was awoken at 3am by someone trying to get into my room. He had a working key card, issued to him by the night staff.....because the day staff hadn't entered my arrival on the system!! I chased him off, only to get a call from Reception at 3.20 am asking me who I was, and what I was doing in the room!

Needless to say the first night wasn't the best!

I returned to my room later that day to find it hasn't been refreshed...!

The second night the 5th floor was very noisy, people arguing and talking in the corridoors on their mobile phones, and smoking! For some reason it didn't trigger alarms and despite complaints from many of my colleagues, the staff were quite ineffectual at dealing with the people who were distrupting the night.

Today I received a voucher in the post for a free night at the Sheffied Ibis - are they having a laugh? Will be returning it to them!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Quinonostante
Reviewed 30 November 2008

As a regular business traveller I have stayed in Ibis hotels in Germany before so I knew what to expect. But unfortunately, my expectations were not quite met by the Ibis in Sheffield which I had chosen based on some of the excellent tripadvisor recommendations.

The hotel is very close to the city centre but dragging my luggage from the main train station to the hotel I remembered what my travelguide said about Sheffield's train station area "You'd think, they don't even want visitors here". The Ibis is located right next to major ringroads and a bit hidden behind some puzzling pedestrian bridges. Upon arrival I was rather disappointed by the ugly view from my window but only when I tried to sleep I realised that major roads not only pose an esthetical challenge but mean: NOISE!

The room was ok, but had not been cleaned very well with crisps bags and empty bottles under my bed.
The room could have been quite pleasant but it smelled of cigarette smoke and had a huge unidentifiable stain on one cushion.

The breakfast for which I paid 5 Pounds was a particular disappointment offering only a very small variety of things to eat (no jam for example), no hot breakfast.

If I had to go back to Sheffield I would probably look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2008

www.accorhotels.com offer the best rates ever.
We booked a £10 off promotion on last minute and this offer was still available. We paid £55 for the night.
We did stay once in Travelodge next door (never again).
Ibis is 100% better!
Staff has been really friendly all the time.
Great product/service for this price.
Bed was a little bit too hard but we slept well. I personnally prefer this kind of bed to Travelodge's ones.
The location is great: town centre, tram, train/bus station, etc.
We did not care about the pub next door. I saw someone's comment. Honestly we walked back to the hotel at 2pm and we did not worry for our security (2 girls).

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2008

This is a must view. We stayed in the city center to go to Linkin Park at sheffield arena. At first there was a wonderful atmosphere in the hotel and me and my mum were greeted by a big smiling receptionist who booked us in quick and in no time we were in are room. (note. I was under the impression the lift was very unsteady). Breakfast was very varied there was a big range of foods to offer. This hotel is very close to the city center and the train station as well as the trams. For a "double room" there was a massive double bed as well as a smaller bed. There was masses of room.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Stayed here for one night, we went to see a show. the hotel is situated in a scary area, the pub next door looked god awful. The area around there is scary, there is no parking.
The bed is a peice of foam on a wooden board and the bathroom is non-exisistent. The road outside is very noisy.
I expected the hotel to be cheap and cheerfull, we weren't expecting luxury, however this hotel was more than sub standard.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple