“dont pay full rate”

Ranked #24 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
n.wales
“dont pay full rate”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

ibis hotels are fine for somewhere to put your head down,i was working in sheffield on and off for three months doing long hours so it did its job.have paid up to £49 for this hotel,room only,which is to much but needs must.the bar and cafe is VERY EXPENSIVE at this hotel so steer clear,witherspoons five minutes away for same quality food etc. at half the price.rooms are starting to look a little tired now with peeling wallpaper(woodchip,how cheap is that!) and stained furnishings.i did something at this hotel which i havent done for a long time,asked to move rooms due to the disgusting stains on the carpet,told not possible so i insisted they came to my room to look and pointed out their money back if not happy policy,was moved.so overall hotel ok for a short stay but dont pay more than £40 if possible and not really suitable for families,couples.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
edinburgh
Reviewed 14 September 2009

i went to sheffield to visit my girlfriend's family so i wanted to book into a hotel. found Ibis to be very cheap for 39 per night. so i took that offerand booked it for 3 nights. i had checked in at 3 pm and found the room to be good sized with clean toilet. i just left my luggage there as i wanted to see the city and came back at 9 pm. thats when i realised that i have to pay £10 for using the internet and watching tv ( and was informed that i can watch blockbuster movies and had high speed internet-liars).i took that too for £10 for 24 hrs. the internet kept disconnecting after 10 mins and was too slow. well some how survived the night and left the hotel early next morning and returned only at 5pm. again i had to spend another £10 for the internet. survived the night but my sleep in the morning was ruined by the room service people as they wanted to get into my room- i tried explaining but they dint know english.

i gotta say it woudl have been better if i had booked into the travel lodge which was practically next door. atleast they would not be such a rip off.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Stayed with a mate after a concert, and we just wanted somewhere to sleep for the night.

The room and the bathroom were clean, and in contrast to some of the other reviews we did not have any noise from other guests (we stayed on a Thursday night).

We were woken up at around 5am by the rubbish collection in the back yard or either the hotel or the pub next door. They clattered around for 10 mins so not ideal.

The breakfast was adequate for £4.95. Fruit, cereals, cheeses, bread for toast etc, not the best continental breakfast I have had, but it is pretty cheap so no complaints there.

The staff on reception were friendly.

It is on the edge of Sheffield and although the walk back at the end of the night was fine, would not have wanted to do it if i was with my girlfriend rather than a male friend.

Overall, no frills but for £42 for the night it was ideal as a place to put my head down and have breakfast in the morning. Handily placed for the train station.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank hulmebantam
leicester, england
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Went for the fab u2 concert.... booked months ago and was totally fleeced for the event price of £100 inc brekkie. The room itself was a bit like a hostel.. the bathroom lovely and clean but the bed... it was truly horrible, stains on the mattress, that can be seen thro the protector. The bed was a foam mattress on a wooden ... well chipboard.. board. why cant they just chuck it, even for the normal rate of £49 its s... would never stay again... no point complaining as they would just send you a free voucher... id rather knaw my own leg off than sleep in that bed again... its well put me off the ibis, ill try premier next time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueadriver
Totnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I was booked into this 'joke' of a hotel for a company event in Sheffield on 24/25th of this month.

Rooms were basic but clean, but the 5th floor did smell of stale smoke.

On my first night I was awoken at 3am by someone trying to get into my room. He had a working key card, issued to him by the night staff.....because the day staff hadn't entered my arrival on the system!! I chased him off, only to get a call from Reception at 3.20 am asking me who I was, and what I was doing in the room!

Needless to say the first night wasn't the best!

I returned to my room later that day to find it hasn't been refreshed...!

The second night the 5th floor was very noisy, people arguing and talking in the corridoors on their mobile phones, and smoking! For some reason it didn't trigger alarms and despite complaints from many of my colleagues, the staff were quite ineffectual at dealing with the people who were distrupting the night.

Today I received a voucher in the post for a free night at the Sheffied Ibis - are they having a laugh? Will be returning it to them!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — intruders in the night!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Quinonostante
Leipzig
Reviewed 30 November 2008

As a regular business traveller I have stayed in Ibis hotels in Germany before so I knew what to expect. But unfortunately, my expectations were not quite met by the Ibis in Sheffield which I had chosen based on some of the excellent tripadvisor recommendations.

The hotel is very close to the city centre but dragging my luggage from the main train station to the hotel I remembered what my travelguide said about Sheffield's train station area "You'd think, they don't even want visitors here". The Ibis is located right next to major ringroads and a bit hidden behind some puzzling pedestrian bridges. Upon arrival I was rather disappointed by the ugly view from my window but only when I tried to sleep I realised that major roads not only pose an esthetical challenge but mean: NOISE!

The room was ok, but had not been cleaned very well with crisps bags and empty bottles under my bed.
The room could have been quite pleasant but it smelled of cigarette smoke and had a huge unidentifiable stain on one cushion.

The breakfast for which I paid 5 Pounds was a particular disappointment offering only a very small variety of things to eat (no jam for example), no hot breakfast.

If I had to go back to Sheffield I would probably look for somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Reims
Reviewed 5 October 2008

www.accorhotels.com offer the best rates ever.
We booked a £10 off promotion on last minute and this offer was still available. We paid £55 for the night.
We did stay once in Travelodge next door (never again).
Ibis is 100% better!
Staff has been really friendly all the time.
Great product/service for this price.
Bed was a little bit too hard but we slept well. I personnally prefer this kind of bed to Travelodge's ones.
The location is great: town centre, tram, train/bus station, etc.
We did not care about the pub next door. I saw someone's comment. Honestly we walked back to the hotel at 2pm and we did not worry for our security (2 girls).

• Liked — everything!!!!!!
  • Disliked — no hair dryer
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends