“Grubby with slow ( but friendly) service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castaway Cove

Castaway Cove
Ranked #83 of 163 things to do in Sheffield
More attraction details
Owner description: A great children's party and play centre. We do various party packages and offers for customers. We have a full menu for food and drinks at reasonable prices. The children's equipment is based on a pirate ship complete with masts and sails. Come and give us a try we are sure the kids will love it.
“Grubby with slow ( but friendly) service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Took the kids today to get out of the rain and have a play. Waited in the queue for at least 8 or 9 mins to get it. Two members of staff working. One manning the entrance the other appeared to be looking busy.
Served our ( over priced) coffees by the nice entrance lady.
Everywhere looked grubby and tired. The chairs are uncomfortable and it's freezing cold. There was also an awful greasy smell to the place.
The coffee and food were average. We've had better. Again service was slow but the lady friendly.
The toilets were verging on dirty with no loo roll in one cubicle. The ladies toilet door seemed to be always open.
The place equipment appeared grubby and stained in places. Fortunately the kids enjoyed it which I suppose is all that matters.

Hi Sean,
Thank you for the review. I am the new owner or Castaways Cove and all your comments have been taken on board. I am in the process of correcting issues raised by reviewers such as the play equipment and general look/condition of the centre. Change does take time but over the next few weeks/months I intend to get the centre back to where it should be, a nice clean environment for children to enjoy. I do hope you will come and visit us again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good kids play centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Castaways cove is a very nice decent kids play area. There are some things that could be changed like the warmth of the place but it's nothing major. I wouldn't say that Castaways cove is as bad as some loons say it is! The staff are very welcoming and helpful! My daughter recently had a party at Castaways cove and she loved it! Everything was spot on! The food was delicious! The staff were helpful and kind! I would defiantly recomend Castaways cove as a good place for your child/children to play! I've read through all the comments and I think that the people writing the bad comments are wasting their time! They must except the place to be spotless! It's a kids play area, yes it's not amazingly clean but it's good enough to play in! The prices are reasonable and it is what it is. I will defiantly be coming back to Castaways cove! If I was you I would take my advice and give the place ago!

3 Thank Chl0eM11
Lisa G, Owner at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I am the new owner and would just like to let you know that I will be making improvements to the overall look/condition of the centre over the next few weeks/months. I hope you do visit us again and once the cleaning etc is complete it makes your visit better and more enjoyable than before.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Castaways cove is a great and fun place to visit. The staff are very helpful and cheerful. All the prices are reasonable and the food is great. It's child friendly and keeps you're kids entertained.

1 Thank Abby M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dirty & Mice Infested With Unhelpful Staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked this venue for my little girls 2nd birthday party. When we arrived, it was obvious the place hadn't been cleaned in a while. When I went to the counter to speak to the staff a mouse ran across the floor in the seating area. When I finally got the attention of a member of staff (they were in the back), I informed her of the mouse, and she ran in the back. I was left in the centre with two toddlers, with another 8 arriving for ages. After shouting into the back, another lady finally came out of the kitchen, and I asked her what she was going to do about the mouse. She said that they were trying to phone the manager. She told me that they do have pest control, but said that they had had a bird in last week. A bird is very different to a mouse running around.

I told her that I would have to cancel the party, as I was not having a party of toddlers running round a mouse infested play centre, and eating the food that had/would be prepared in the kitchen where there are mice.

The staff were extremely unhelpful, and uninterested. I told her I wanted my deposit back, which was promptly thrown in the box I had brought with the party bags & cake. Both staff members went outside for a smoke, leaving me and the newly arrived guests stuck inside the building (security doors are in place to ensure children don’t get out of the building, and it can only be opened from behind the counter).

After stood shouting to them outside, one came in and opened the door to let us out. It is necessary to point out that the older lady, who would be preparing the food, was stood outside smoking in all her cooking clothing, apron etc.

Disgusting. I have not had an apology for this, and I will never return to this grubby, infested, badly managed centre again.

Don’t waste your time and money going here.

1 Thank Josie T
Lisa G, Owner at Castaway Cove, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
I am sorry you had such a bad experience at the centre. I have just taken over the centre as the new owner and can assure you all issues raised are being addressed as fast as I can. The centre is in need of cleaning etc which I am in the process of completing. Pest control is in place and monitored regularly. Staff will be undergoing training in Customer Service to ensure your experience does not happen in future. If you email us I can arrange for a free visit once issues have been corrected for you and your child/children to apologise for the experience. Our email is info@castawayscove.co.uk if you wish to take me up on the offer. I am sorry again for the way you were treated and do hope you will give us a chance to show you I am making things better.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money or sanity!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

If only there were a minus button. Some staff very abrupt and only one was welcoming. Wooden tables vandalised and greasy. Wear ski jacket, thermals and salopettes unless you want frostbite. Place dirty which is a shame as equipment isn't that bad. Toilet cubical light doesn't work so you sit in the dark.
Don't eat there!! Food is simply disgusting. Sweetcorn was grey as it had been boiled to death and don't get me started on the colour of the peas! The children enjoyed themselves but we're told off for shouting trying to get our attention. In a nutshell - save your money!!!

Visited February 2014