“Cosy atmosphere with great food”
Review of el Toro

el Toro
Ranked #267 of 1,528 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this little place. Lovely little dishes are available and the service is great despite the fact that only one waitress was working. My girlfriend and I were made to feel very welcome. We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Ben H

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This restaurant has recently changed hands and it's not as good as it used to be. They had run out of many dishes and the front of house was too busy entertaining a couple at the bar to notice the rest of her customers. Great shame because this place used to be a great little spot.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Best cakes I tried in ages. The staff is absolutely friendly. Everything is made with loads of love and the fact that it is small contributes to the cosy aura it has.
PS: I have written a 10,000 word essay there,the internet is quite fast, just choose the non busy hours :)

2  Thank Sarah N
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've been to El Toro a number of times in the last few weeks - with family, my partner and friends.

El Toro functions as a authentic Tapas restaurant throughout the day and into the evening, but there is also a huge breakfast menu, various sandwiches/flans, etc available during the day, and they're quite happy for you to just go in for coffee and cake anytime too.

Tapas-wise, it's fairly competitively priced (around £4-6 per dish, depending on what you have), with 2-3 tapas being sufficient for a meal. There's a decent early-bird menu where you get three dishes and a drink for £12.50, which is a really nice option if you go straight after work. There's a decent variety of meat, seafood, and plenty off vegetarian dishes.

If you just go for coffee and cake, they are all home made, and all the ones I've tried are delicious. Go for one of the huge waffles with fresh fruit if you're really hungry! You can also get a proper bacon butty for £2 in the morning, and you can get takeaway coffee too.

The service can be a bit slow, but it's so friendly and relaxed that doesn't matter a jot (to me, anyway). Would highly recommend unless you're in a rush.

1  Thank Matt J
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I visited el Toro this evening with a friend who is new to Sheffield and wants to be introduced to good places to eat.

The seating area is very limited. Admittedly the other tables were all occupied but I don't think this justifies the fact that we were completely forgotten, despite sitting directly in front of the counter.

My friend had to catch the attention of the waitress in order to ask for something to drink, we had to ask if we could order food, ask for water for the table during our meal (no check-backs to see if we needed anything) and even catch a chef on his way back to the kitchen to ask him to take our empty plates back that had been sitting on our tiny table for half an hour. When he did this he simply took the plates and left an empty teapot and two empty cups to remain sitting there. After this we then had to collar someone to ask for a desert and then ask twice for the bill before it came.

There is no denying that the food is excellent but this experience has sadly tainted my high opinion of el Toro.

1  Thank lncd1990