“Maybe the best?”

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our first visit to the Viraaj was an early Friday evening. We had poppadoms and pickle tray which was a great indication of things to come. There were a couple of unusual pickles the best of which was pulped carrot and mango , what a refreshing change. Also there was a tamarind dip which was amazing. We didn't have starters as we can never finish if we do. I had an amazing fish dish unfortunately I cannot remember its name but it was a two chilli dish, really tasty and fresh and zingy. My husband had the lamb madras which he always uses as a yardstick at a new indian restaurant, he said it was probably the best he has ever had. The nan bread, rice and raita were all so fresh and perfectly cooked and served, all plates were cleared.

It was a nice change to find a draught lager and decent wine at reasonable prices as these are often the areas where a good food restaurant falls down,

The service was excellent and waiters very friendly.

We are pretty experienced at trying different indian restaurants, but this meal was perfect, we really couldn't find fault with anything. We will certainly be back and hope it will live up to its first experience.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

First impressions were good. Nice friendly staff and a clean restaurant.

The starters were ok, chicken tikka was good, the bhaji was good. The pakora was pretty bad as was this mashed potato type thing - can't remember the name.

The mains were pretty terrible. The chicken balti tasted more like a sweet and sour dish and the chicken itself tasted like reheated chicken - not chicken cooked from fresh. The other main dish my girlfriend had was also quite poor with very much an oriental taste. The onion rice was ok, but it's pretty difficult to get this wrong. The naan bread was ok if a little burnt, but nothing special.

The service was a mixed bag. The gentleman who greeted us was very friendly. However, we did have problems with some of the service.

We had two rounds of drinks and our order was the same both times; two glasses of coke with ice and no slice of lemon. The first waiter checked this order three times but when the drinks came we got two glasses of flat, tepid coke with no ice or lemon. The second time we got two glasses of flat coke with ice and lemon. Logic suggests a third order of drinks would have seen the waiter bring a whole lemon and a bag of ice with two empty glasses.

Another point which really bugged me. Our cutlery and napkins were cleared up between courses but no replacement napkin was brought. My girlfriend made a point of asking for one and the waiter agreed to do so. However, no napkin was brought and we ended up using our own tissues.

In terms of speed we had to wait at least twenty minutes for the starters and quite long for the main and the place was not that busy with only a handful of other occupied tables.

We went to Viraaj off the back of a recommendation from someone who received a rather abrupt text message from me after the meal (asking if this recommendation was, in fact, a joke). We normally eat at a different Indian restaurant where we are known by name. We only tried this place to try something different and spent £20 in cabs there and back.

In this situation, with some questionable service in the restaurant, I did not feel like saying anything at the time would actually achieve anything. The situation with the drinks was annoying and if the place cannot get the order right despite stating the order three times for the first round, and at least twice for the second round then I have no confidence that pulling them up about it in restaurant would end up with the right order.

When the bill arrived the restaurant had knocked off 15% with out us asking. I am not sure what this was for, but had it not been knocked off I would have felt the need to say something.

3  Thank iutbsco
VIRAAJ743, Manager at Viraaj Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I am sorry to read about your experience at our Restaurant.

It is a shame you did not make your complaint about the food or service to your waiter or a manager at the time when you had the opportunity to do so.

I will like to point out to all our customers that if anything isn't to your satisfaction then please do mention to us while you are at the Restaurant so we can rectify the problem.

Please do not feel embarrassed to say because we appreciate all compliments as well as criticism as this helps us improve our services. The Manager is always present so if you will like to talk in private please ask.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Warm welcome,superb food great service by Abdul. Been a few times now always superb will definitely returning!!!!

1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This restaurant never disappoints!

The service, helpfulness of the staff, quality of the food, atmosphere and price all make this in my mind the best Indian restaurant in Sheffield.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We visit here on a regular basis and have never had a problem, the staff are all polite, friendly and helpfull and the food is always top class. ,