“A taste of real Japan in South Yorkshire”
Review of Edo Sushi Takeaway

Edo Sushi Takeaway
Ranked #3 of 1,541 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Small authentic Japanese run take-out in Sheffield City Centre. We serve the freshest handmade sushi and also Japanese hot food, such as Chicken katsu curry & rice for lunch-time and deliveries for the evening. We maintain standards of food quality, hygiene and service to the highest by ongoing training, support and feedback from customers. Thank you.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My fav is the nigirizushi which is sublime and I usually end up ordering a pair of each variety available despite perusing the menu to make a choice. The sashimi is fresh and the variety of sushi is pretty good. On some days, they'd do scallops (hotate) and seabass (suzuki) too. Although, I have to say, it'll be great if Edo could add squid (ika) or red clam (akagai) as part of their sashimi ensemble.

They do rice dishes too and their curry rice (kare raisu) is superb, especially the salmon katsu one. The staff at Edo (Tomo-san, Mike-san and Ken-san are the ones I tend to see behind the counter) are attentive and very friendly. The place may be busy at times but it is worth the wait as everything is freshly made when you place your order. If you like Edo's Facebook page, you can find out the dishes made especially for the day, which are available for lunch.

In my experience, when you have an eaterie that is regularly frequented by customers native to the country the cuisine is from, it must be good (I was there one evening and from the amount of nihon-go being spoken by the patrons, you wouldn't think that you were in Sheffield). And you won't be disappointed with the quality at Edo!

1  Thank Kud0
Edo S, Owner at Edo Sushi Takeaway, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you very much for your in-depth comments, we appreciate it very much and will do our best to offer a variety of neta toppings and other tasty Japanese goods!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've tried all of the sushi and japanese restaurant in town. But, Edo is definitely the best out of all of them. They are the only one i know for sure uses the freshest ingredients. I am never disappointed with both the friendly japanese staffs and the tasty food when i come back home for a weekend. I definitely recommend paying a visit if you're in town!
IT'S GOOD FOOD COMING AT A GOOD PRICE.

Thank you for your time and kind comments, we will do our best to keep up the quality of food and service we provide!

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Never have been disappointed. Bento box is a delight, service excellent, wish you would be open for public for the take out in the evenings not just for deliveries. SERIOUSLY GOOD STUFF- highly recommended!

1  Thank Ajive
Edo S, Owner at Edo Sushi Takeaway, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thanks for your very positive review of Edo. Please do pop by in the evening if your passing by as the doors of our shop are open till 9PM. We start deliveries from 6.30-9PM.

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I've been a few times now, and enjoyed every dish I've ordered. It's a little intimidating the first time, due to the confined customer area and the fact you're stepping off the street into quite a dark looking and intimate space but the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Just a suggestion to the owners: maybe advertising the hot specials and sushi boxes outside might encourage more people to come in and give it a try. I'm sure anyone that does will be glad they did.

Dear Molloi,

Thanks for your time in writing a review and your advice about having a hot food special on our A board outside. It's a brilliant idea and when we have time in the near future we will do it and think of this review! Just takes time as we need to take photos and re-design the poster everything which we do instore.

Thanks again,

Tomo

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I had the grilled eel and the vegetarian box the other day. The food was ok, but nothing special. Also, the rice that came with the fish was really sweet and I couldn't eat it. This is a problem because I don't eat sweet things in general. But I should have asked beforehand. The vegetarian rolls were ok, but they weren't fresh and they were quite small size. It doesn't compare to a restaurant, but it is good for a take away. The service was good and the people were really nice.

1  Thank Robin D
Edo S, Owner at Edo Sushi Takeaway, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Robin,

Firstly, thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't as you had expected.

We make ALL our sushi to order by hand using the best ingredients we can source. All our fish toppings and vegetables are fresh as we prepare them each morning and throughout the day but if you ever notice otherwise, please do inform us straight away as ANY of our staff will be more than willing to see to any problems customers may have.

The 13 piece pre-set vegetarian sushi box for £6 is a good value box that fills one of our standard size trays and was made upon order.

Unfortunately, we are only a take-out and delivery service, so if you would like to try us again in the future, we do look forward to your custom. Thank you!