“Our Burger Night at Thelma's was perfection”

Homemade by Thelma's
Ranked #150 of 1,518 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

After a day working in Sheffield we were recommended to drop in on The Burger Night at Homemade by Thelma’s out at Nether Edge. Evidently a popular day time café the two sisters who own it are branching out with some evening bistro and burger nights and my guess is that they will be very successful
Upmarket burger restaurants are very fashionable in London but the trend is slowly spreading northwards and while the décor isn’t the usual fake 50s Americana I have to say the food could stand up to any of the trendy burger joints in the smoke.
The girls have a reputation for delicious fresh food and you can tell they know a thing or two about cooking so while it might not be the hardest thing in the world to cook, get your burger and fries wrong and no one comes back.
We both plumped for the Classic with cheese and streaky bacon which was a mistake in so much that we loved it somuch we were left wishing that one of us had chosen something else to try! The meat was delicious and perfectly cooked with two patties in a toasted milk bun topped with melted cheese and streaky bacon crowned with gherkins and relish and served in a basket ( proper!) with a stack of delicious thick chunky chips. ( Fries areskinny and tasteless.. These were CHIPS)
Alongside the burgers and hotdogs they have 4 veggie and vegan options as well and I have to say they all looked great as we scanned the restaurant enviously looking at other peoples food.
But the sweets were just something else. Not making the same mistake again we ordered a Banana and Peanut butter milkshake and a Knickerbocker Glory to share. Probably about 3000 calories per mouthful and absolutely perfect
People of Sheffield get to know your Burger and shakes and get down to Homemade on a Wednesday evening

2  Thank Steven L

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I'd been visiting Cat Lane Bakery, and asked if there was anywhere they could recommend for lunch. They suggested Thelma's and what a good suggestion that was. Service was friendly and prompt and food was tasty and different. I'm not a vegetarian - but would eat more vegetarian food if it was this high standard.

1  Thank NantwichBill
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Quirky little place off the beaten track, with amazing seasonal food. Fresh, lots of veggie and vegan friendly choices, but lots of meat choices too. Staff are friendly and helpful, even willing to read the specials menu in full (forgot glasses!!!)

1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Thelmas is amazing, I'm a regular visitor as I live close by and I'm never disappointed. The menu changes daily, so you're never bored and I have never eaten anything there which has not been exceptional.

The staff are lovely and friendly, the cafe looks great and I always leave stuffed and jealous that I can't cook like those girls.

Brilliant for lunch or coffee and cake.

1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had a delicious selection of salads and salmon. The food was amazing, so delicious. The staff were great and couldn't do enough for us. Will definitely be returning. Worth a try!