“Great Hotel - Great Food - Great little place.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Garrison Hotel

The Garrison Hotel
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Sheffield
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel - Great Food - Great little place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Why do people write reviews when they can't spell and can barely construct a sentence?

Anyway, I stayed at the Garrison earlier this month as I was attending a wedding there. Firstly, it's a great wedding venue - food was terrific, drinks were reasonably priced and the staff were fine.

The hotel room was nice and had everything you would expect in a hotel in this price range. It's similar to some US-style motels in terms of the lay-out of the rooms, but the garden area is lovely. The wall clock was indeed noisy (it's a clock, they do tend to tick a little...) but I just took the battery out. All in all, the room was exactly what I would expect from a 3 star Hotel in Sheffield.

Breakfast was nice, but could do with a slightly larger range of cereals.

Now we know about this place, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chesterfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night for a wedding function. We have driven past this hotel many times and not noticed it and it is positioned in a somewhat unromantic setting between a petrol station and a supermarket. From the outside the rooms look like Butlins chalets but with hanging baskets! We were, however, very impressed by the warm welcome we got from all staff and the courtyard, which our room overlooked, was reminiscent of a mediterranean setting overspilling with flowers and we completely forgot about the petrol forecort just yards away from us! The room service menu was very reasonably priced, the room was spacious and the mattress was extremely comfortable. The food at the wedding was excellent and the bar staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was well cooked and made to order. It would have been nice to have tea / coffee / toast brought to the table rather than having to get it ourselves but that is the only criticism I can think of. We were located underneath the function room so unless you are attending a wedding be sure to ask for a room well away from that area if you want an early night!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a wedding at a venue a few miles away.
The building is very interesting. Good sized rooms, with all necessary amenities. (Hairdryer, shower gel, conditioner).
The breakfast was certainly adequate, although we thought the "choose 4 items" for the cooked breakfast to be a little mean, but there was also plenty of fruit, cereals, toast and croissants.
Friendly helpful reception staff. Beautiful planting in the courtyard area, and our room opened onto here.
The Jailhouse Bar is full of atmosphere, and serves good meals.
It should be noted that The Hotel is a wedding venue itself, and there were parties each night (Friday & Saturday) in the Function Room, but this did not cause a problem for us.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Banksjays
sheffield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

the whole place felt very tired and in need of a coat of paint, the staff were pleasant enough but didn't seem very interested.
the shower in our room was leaking and the wall clock was noisy, it was torchorous!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank louis smith
sheffield, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Stayed here to attend a relative's party. The rooms are like motel rooms in the grounds and very well equipped. They were spotlessly clean, well funished and nothing to fault at all. Breakfast was excellent..

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

It's been a while since I have encountered service as shoddy as this.
I chose the hotel to meet and select business suppliers. Upon approaching the bar (no table service here), I was abruptly instructed that if I wished to be served, I should stand at the order point. Duly stepping 8 steps to the right along the same bar, I was now placed behind 4 other people who had arrived after me.
The three bar staff were then reduced to one and I was ignored for 11 minutes.
Having finally placed my order, I asked for it to be brought to the table. Request ignored and I was served the drinks at the bar.
The customer in front of me asked to change her order. The response was 'no, it's gone through now'. That customer was made to feel so intimidated that she paid for food she no longer wanted, and didn't receive the food she wished to choose.
When my astonished colleague later attempted a 2nd order, the drinks arrived incorrect.

Does this hotel actually understand the concept of customer service? I will not be returning and will advise my business associates of the reasons why.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank spectrafashions
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

I stayed one night at the Garrison Hotel whilst visiting friends based in the city centre. It is easily accessible by tram or bus so getting there was no issue. The staff were friendly, the check-in was quick and smooth as I had prebooked a room on the website. The room was clean and warm with a good television, decent showering facilities, a selection of complimentary teas and coffees and most of all a comfortable bed. The breakfast available was very nice (cooked with a choice of four items and a toast rack), with a selection of fruits, juices and yoghurts available. I would not hesitate to book again when I am in the city next.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo