“Nice place to stay”
Review of The Garrison Hotel

The Garrison Hotel
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After booking and then reading the reviews I was a bit worried! I found the hotel to be very nice and the only criticism about breakfast would be that the cooked breakfast isn't a massive amount but there is plenty of other things on offer .a taxi to the town centre is about £6 and that was for five of us a Tram is about £2.20 each. I would highly recommend staying here as its very warm and clean.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Thteeblueboys

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed for one night and apart from breakfast enjoyed our stay. The room is a decent size with an extra heater if really cold and a decent tv.
The bar was lovely though we only had drinks so I can't comment on the food.
This hotel is in a great location and easy enough to find, though where you can park is a bit confusing!
The only downside was breakfast which seemed a bit of a shambles, the staff kept bringing out orders that had already been sent and it was clear they didn't want to be there nor had they received any training in hospitality/customer service! The continental breakfast was very basic and the cooked breakfast not great. If this was improved which I don't believe would take much this place would be excellent value for money.
The receptionist was lovely and efficient and we will definitely return although would not rush to get to breakfast, McDonald's is 1 min away!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisnrich
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I booked this hotel to stay in after a Party I was attending. I found the room to be very basic, I had a very dirty bathroom a horrible duvet (in which i slept on the covers) and dirty floor you would not want to go barefoot!
The breakfast was very disspointing looked like happy shopper food.
I can safley say I will not be staying here again I would suggest for you to book a holiday inn as it would be the same price and they are not more clean and I actually dont mind sleeping in the bed.

Room Tip: My advice is go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I got married in this hotel October 2012, I loved the look of the hotel and all guest told us that they loved the food. We had roast beef dinner and they finished it off with avHUGE Yorkshire pudding that really gave it that bit extra. Before the wedding we often met up with photographer, violinist etc in the bar area and had lunch. The bar meals are lovely and so cheap. The bar staff can't do enough to help you.
The rooms are nice, just nice. Nothing too fancy but we thought they we really homely. We are not posh people by any means but that's why we love this hotel. It's not posh in the usuall sense but it really is beautiful.
The rooms are very reasonably priced too.
DOWNSIDES. The house wine is awful and so are the others that they sell. I like sweet fruity wine and couldn't find one that I like.
I also felt let down by the guys that work on reception. My husband had ordered a bunch of beautiful roses to be delivered to the room on the morning of the wedding and they didn't arrive until 20 mins before I was due to walk down the aisle. He had to chase them up and was told they were delivered to reception hours earlier. And we left there.
I will defiantly return to this hotel (hopefully not for a wedding :-/)

Room Tip: They have 2 family rooms which are bigger but unfortunately no bridal suite. The 2 family rooms are...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kezwold
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed overnight at the Garrison- it was extremely busy as apparently they had a convention using the hotel. Check in was easy and there was free parking at the side of the hotel covered by CCTV.

Our room was large and well equipped, with a TV, hairdryer and kettle, though the decoration was too chintzy for my taste! There were lots of towels and complimentary shower gel/soaps in the shower/bath, which was warm and didn't flood the bathroom for once, which made a change from some rooms I've been in. It was clean and tidy and the bed was firm and comfortable. We had been given a triple room for some reason, so I can't comment on the size of smaller double rooms.

I found it too warm, but as there was a freestanding oil heater wired in, obviously some folks find it too cold (!) Arriving at 7pm, I ordered a steak sandwich from room service, which arrived quickly with no fuss, despite the waitress ringing me back, saying there was a wait for food because of the aforementioned convention. This was served with a salad and chunky chips and was very tasty- little did we know what lay ahead!

Our room was at the end of the block and I found the noise from the busy road off the retail park tended to intrude quite a bit, but this isn't really something the hotel can sort, as most of my irritation stemmed from 'boy racers' doing donuts, burnouts and wheel spins at 1 in the morning.

Coupled with the subtle but intrusive noise of the music from what I presumed was the restaurant or bar, up to 1am, didn't put me in a restful mood, despite the lovely warm room.
The music droned on and on- perhaps the management didn't realize how loud it was or maybe the DJ just wasn't considerate.

Come the morning- suitably bleary eyed we ventured to the dining room for breakfast, which was included in the price of the room. Now, I'm not a food snob at all and I'm quite happy with 3* all inclusive fayre on holiday and having eaten a fair few buffet breakfasts the continental buffet was basic but OK, not that I was expecting a gourmet delight- fruit, juice, cereal, toast, but the cooked English really was trying to save a few pennies to many.

The tomatoes were out of a catering can whilst the beans were inferior to even ' value' branded types from the supermarket. My sausage was very greasy, cheap and nasty- how hard would it be to buy in some quality meat and cook fresh tomatoes- given recent events in the food industry? This was the only low point of our stay and surprising given the quality of the room service food. I have had some great buffet breakfasts in UK hotels before, so I know what is possible and this is the only negative thing I found during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyYorks77
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Booked this hotel to avoid driving in to Sheffield early doors in the snow.
Checking in a doddle. The room was more than adequateand the heating was on and left on overnight, unlike some establishments we have stayed in. There were the usual candidates, tv, phone, kettle etc.
The only problem I experienced was the walls of the room were a bit thin. This meant we could hear the neighbours talking, coughing and the like. Being only there the one night meant this was not a massive issue.
Parking is on site and free. There is a big Sainsburys just across the way and a MacD's a stones throw from the hotel if you are feeling peckish.
Breakfast was adequate with coffee served from a machine which tasted sweet for some reason.
Did not use the restaurant as there is a cracking carvery just up the Glossop road but all in all would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We visited in early Feb 2013, booked two disabled rooms (107 and 108) having carefully read the hotels website AND checked on access via a call to the hotel. One of us is a wheelchair user the other ambulant but uses a "walker" and can't climb stairs. We arrived to find that there is no proper disabled parking by reception and the courtyard you have to use features a very steep ramp. It was manageable with great care but almost impossible in bad weather. Room 107 has a wet room style bathroom which is a plus, but the (just) one rail by the toilet is almost unusable due to its poor design ie its fixed too close to the toilet seat. This was a big problem for my father-in-law who is elderly and struggled to use the loo as getting on and off was very difficult without two properly sited rails.
However, if you use a wheelchair this doesn't matter as you cannot get a wheelchair between the huge and comfy looking super king size bed and the fixed dressing table, thus no access to the wet room shower and loo !!!
We had to swop rooms with my wife's parents to 108 and rearrange the twin beds so I could get my chair to the loo and shower. Not great this and if we hadn't have been travelling with family we would have been in real trouble. In addition to this basic flaw, disabled visitors need to know that the site is on a very steep hill and, bizarrely, you will struggle to get your breakfast as this is served in the nice looking Jailhouse Restaurant which is up many steps and there is no lift.....apparently you are expected to walk outside into the busy road (no pavement) and wander up the hill to the restaurant.....it was snowing so not good for us but in any event the hill was too steep and dangerous with cars whizzing by. There was some discussion with the receptionist who was at all times polite and desperate to help, and some hazy possibility that some kind of breakfast might be able to be brought to you but much uncertainty and we ended up in Morrisons supermarket opposite the hotel.
At £49 per room per night you cannot expect luxury. The people were friendly and wanted to help but as the receptionist himself said "this hotel is very limited in disabled access terms" yet the way the web site reads and how they promote those "wet rooms" you would think it was an award winner. But the disabled access is actually poor and I strongly recommend you avoid this hotel if you are a wheelchair user but some ambulant disabled folk, who can climb stairs, will I think see it as good vfm.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family