“Not ideal for solo female travellers”
Review of The Garrison Hotel

The Garrison Hotel
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I read the information on a hotel site. The location was great for where I needed to be. It said that all rooms had a balcony. This was actually a concrete corridor that ran along the outside of all the rooms, making it noisy when people were returning to their rooms. Parking was available but was not very close to the hotel and meant walking along the street. On the first night I had to walk through a gang of teenagers who were shouting at traffic. Not great when carrying luggage and a laptop! I didn't see any other female guests. The room was basic but it was very clean and the Wifi did work. It was much more expensive than some of the bigger chain hotels and I thought it was over-priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed at the Garrison Hotel, Sheffield for 2 nights in April. The hotel is in the old jail house of the garrison and the building itself and landscaping are quaint and very appealing-except for the new extended parts that don't fit in with the period charm. Our room was on the ground floor and was pretty big. The decor was a bit dated as if it had been chosen by an elderly couple, but everything was clean and in good condition and we had a new 32" flat screen TV. The room was supposed to have free WiFi, but we could only get it if we sat by the door. But all this is minor really, it was the sleep quality that let it down. The double bed was small (even though there was loads of room for a bigger bed) and the pillows were rock hard. There was a bright light outside our room and also many of the other rooms, to light the paths at night, but even though we had blackout curtains, they didn't quite cover the window, so the bright light came in, also there was a disco on both nights we were there, which was incredibly loud (i'm not old and miserable, it was actually v.loud) and didn't finish til around 12.30 each night. It was such a shame as a few niggles we could over look, but waking up each morning to bloodshot eyes is not ideal!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Lovely stay in historic surroundings.Interesting building and very comfortable.After reading some negative comments I was a little apprehensive but this was unfounded.Room was basic but very comfortable(slept like a log).Didn't hear the noise from function room.
Breakfast was very enjoyable,plenty to help yourself to but cooked breakfast was limited to a choice of 4 items from 5.
Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms under function room,if possible.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This was a great value stay only a short drive from Sheffield city centre. The room was very clean and the one double bed comfortable. If you're used to chain hotels providing 2 double beds, this is not for you. The water was warm and the pressure adequate, but I would have liked to see a mixer tap on the hand basin instead of the old-fashioned separate taps - but then the décor was quite chintzy and flowery to contrast with the setting of a converted prison. The desk chair was not the most comfortable, but this was more than made up for by the free internet, which did not let me down at all during my stay - a great bonus! So are the free parking and included breakfast. Friendly staff too, who provided me with extra coffee and milk. I'll be coming back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sabine R
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This place was convenient for my business trip to Sheffield. I booked it for convenience more than anything else so my expectations were not sky high, reviews I read were informative and my experience was on a par with other guests.

My room had a very strong smell of some kind of air freshener which was a bit off-putting. Room was a reasonable size and reasonably well appointed. Staff were helpful and pleasant.

No complaints, you get what you pay for and this place was a reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Garrison Hotel 22-23 March. We really liked the hotel, it was an interesting design with rooms arranged around a central courtyard. Our room was at the far end of the courtyard, it was clean and very warm which was great as we arrived just after it snowed heavily. The position was great, the tram was only a 5 minute walk away and took us straight into town and also Meadowhall shopping centre. The breakfast was lovely (cant understand other reviews on here!), there was plenty of different cereals and fresh fruit salad and grapefruit segments, croissants and bread for toasting. Staff came round and asked if we wanted a cooked breakfast - I had fried eggs and beans on toast and my partner had a bacon sandwich both of which were great - nothing to complain about. My only slight niggle is please label the dispensers in the shower - didnt know which was shower gel and which was shampoo lol

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The motel type arrangement is good; nice room with space and an interesting setting in the old barracks. It is convenient for the city by tram and close to the moors for a rapid exit by car or bus. But - our first night was a Friday when there was a wedding reception in the function room and although we were told the band "might play till twelve" - they kept on raving till at least 12-30. Why Non-wedding guests were not put in rooms away from the drum noise is strange. There are "events" on a lot of Fridays - so probably a good place other nights but check what is on in the function Room before booking a Friday!! At the price I did not expect a brilliant cooked breakfast but the watery coffee was a disapointment.

Room Tip: Away from the function room block
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple