“Nice but not the best in Sheffield!”
Review of Jewel

Jewel
Ranked #438 of 1,448 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Sheffield
“Nice but not the best in Sheffield!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Came here after the cinema with a friend on Friday. I ordered starters (bhajis) and a main course (punjabi chicken) with rice and naan. The staff were pleasant and attentive and the food was served quickly and came well presented in white ceramic bowls which I do prefer to the stainless steel 'dated' dishes! so all in all above average but not outstanding. I was disappointed with the size of the peshwari naan and how it was served 'pre cut' like a pizza (I prefer to tear n share).

I would visit again if in the area but much prefer the outstanding food quality/value for money and surroundings of Viraaj or Cutlers Spice as my personal choice. I thought it a bit overpriced for the dining experience you actually get!

Sheffield, England
“Excellent Indian Food”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Went on Saturday night 2 weeks ago, we booked and needed to.

Overall the food is some of the best Indian food we've ever eaten, not cheap, but we don’t mind paying a bit more for this quality of food.

The staff and service was excellent too.

The decor is a bit plain and could do with brightening up a bit but that won’t stop us returning again and again.

I really can’t understand the negative reviews on here about service or food, perhaps they went to the wrong place, or are jealous rivals!

Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Quality”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This restaurant deserves all the praise it gets, the food is wonderful, the staff are great , they explain all about a dish if you are unsure ,they don't bug you and pester you to order food or more drinks , it so pleasant being somewhere where you can just enjoy your food in a nice atmosphere. The food, once ordered , does take a while to arrive but its cooked fresh to order and tastes great

sheffield
“Don't eat here, you WILL be very disappointed !!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Arrived without booking at around 20.30. We were asked to wait, but weren't offered any drinks...I eventually requested some drinks, and these were served after 5 mins. We were then seated in at a table with very dim lighting ( in fact the people on the next table used their phone light to read the menu ), and minimalist decor. The good thing is the tables aren't on top of each other. The service was ok, however the food was very poor. The starter, mixed kebab, was very small and tasteless. The mains we chose were any better. Mine was Chicken Tikka Balti, and this was served in a ceramic bowl, not the expected balti metal dish. The chicken was tough and some parts didn't appear to be fully cooked..it certainly wasn't tikka, just plain chicken. The sauce was just plain with no veg at all, nothing like a balti. The other dish was Bengali Fish, the fish was nice, but there wasn't much fish, sauce was tasty, but again no veg. We had a boiled rice and mushroom rice, these were ok, but small. We also had a peshwari nan, which was very nice..very sweet. For 1 starter, 2 main, 2 rice and 1 nan, plus 2 pints and 1 orange juice, the bill came to £43.40..which when we checked we found we had been overcharged by £5.00...we advised the waiter, and he knew straight away why there had been a problem. He made the excuse that he had added the bill up very quickly..or was he trying it on !!
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, however, a big plus point...no dodgy stomach after the experience !!

4 Thank sparky1889
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great team outing. Excellent service.”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The team at Jewel took everything in hand for a large group and carefully staggered the ordering process to ensure that the kitchen could prepare everything to come out together. A few minor glitches were taken care of discretely and professionally. The food was excellent, slight variations on dishes allowed it to be new but still familiar.

I particularly enjoyed the Junglee Khargosh - or Jungle Carwash as one of my esteemed colleagues immediately dubbed it (not sure about the spelling I'm afraid) which was a delicious stewed rabbit on the bone with a pleasantly spicy gravy. I would definitely go back. The only thing preventing five stars for this restaurant is it's tricky location and limited parking.

• Visited December 2013