“This hotel needs to understand customer service”
Review of Staindrop Lodge

Staindrop Lodge
Ranked #20 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Having booked this via group on, I tried to contact the day I bought the voucher. There was not one single Saturday available (due to weddings) although they advertised it in the voucher. As such, as the included lunch had to be taken on the first day it was impossible to accomplish this over a weekend without arriving at lunch on Friday.

I asked for lunch in the Saturday but was flatly refused as ( I quote) I got the room cheap via Groupon so there is no flex. This hotel totally misses the point that the purpose of Groupon is to excel in service so customers come back. Sadly I will never return as the attitude was dire as soon as the staff knew we had a Groupon voucher.

In conclusion, this hotel needs to understand customer service and be more reasonable rather than the "computer says no" approach.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank flyboy1000

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had a really lovely time. Lunch was mini fish and chips and was really tasty. Had our champers then got the train into sheffield. Wish we'd stayed for our evening meal to be honest. We'll know for next time, because i'm sure there will be! paid extra for spa bath but we didn't get chance to use it (our fault.) Breakfast was also really nice. Great place and staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Really close to Sheffield £3.20 return on train :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Like the previous reviewer we too were staying when a wedding party was on. We had to go out to look for food as the place was heaving with people (which wasn't easy), although it seems their food is none too brilliant, certainly that was our experience at breakfast.

The actual hotel isn't bad, although it is essentially a reasonably good-quality travelodge more than a hotel.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The hotel was so full because of a wedding function. This seemed to stretch the staff who in the main coped well.
Requested an ice bucket at the bar for a bottle of bubbley but the bar man could not provide one and when I changed the order he was clearly upset. I always thought the customer was right? The meal in the restaurant was good and reasonabley priced. The staff who waited table were excellant.
I would stay again but try to avoid a big wedding group if at all possible.

Room Tip: eat here its good
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Had a bargain Groupon offer....b+b +lunch +bottle of champagne for £55 for 2 of us. Had an art workshop to do during the day so didnt arrive until evening--the receptionist was appologetic and said we had missed lunch..and couldnt have it next day.Never Mind!
The room was lovely--large with beautiful furnishings--most comfortable bed and a 2 seater sofa.Art deco in style--spotless clean.
We went down for dinner--and had our free bottle of champagne..lovely it was too!
The meal was brilliant--lots of it and well cooked--hubbys pie was to die for.
Had a lovely bath and a great nights sleep---breakfast was very good---help yourself to cereals , orange juice etc and a full english bought to us after....all served with a smile.Only gripe was the hoovering going on nearby when we were eating.!
The whole place was very clean-bathroom sparkling,cant fault it---will be back there at some point!
Although there was a wedding do on there we heard no noise at night. All the staff were very nice,helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Bought a special offer through groupon and because of this was treated like I shouldn't be there by some members of staff.
When I first booked I called and the receptionist tried to get me to pay extra by saying "we have a room for that night, but not a particularly nice one" I didn't upgrade and the room was very nice.
The offer was supposed to include lunch but was only given £10 off. It's not possible to buy lunch for 2 here for £10. When I queried this the restaurant manager replied "if you have a problem take it up with
groupon" very snottily as if I should be grateful to have anything at all.
Rooms were noisy but clean but I wouldn't return due to the bad attitude and customer service skills of some staff

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank annacabanna
Reviewed 12 June 2011

On arrival was very impressed with the service at reception en how clean and modern the hotel is. Fantastic stay with the groupon special, lunch very nice champayne even better. Room very spacious nicest hotel ever stayed in will be booking again

• Stayed: June 2011