“Authentic Indian street food”
Review of Urban Choola

Urban Choola
Ranked #107 of 1,467 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$13 - US$21
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Authentic Indian street food”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Very similar format to Amigo's - BYO, excellent food and great value for money. Many of the dishes were new to the four of us so we gave the waiter a budget and he brought us a selection of four starters, four mains and a couple of desserts to share. All the food was delicious and freshly prepared. Fantastic value for money (£50 for the four of us)

• Visited March 2013

“Amazing food!”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I had a takeaway one night but ate in a different evening and it is definitely worth eating in as they have more choice on the menu and there are so many amazing dishes worth trying! The food is full of flavour, unique and much more authentic than all the other Indian restaurants around.

Lived up to Amigo's standard!

Valras-Plage, France
“Would Definitely Go Back!”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I am a big fan of Indians, but in the last few years have become extremely picky! I always read reviews before going out for a curry, to make sure that I get something half decent! Having been to India a couple of times I know that the typical Kormas and Tikka Masalas are awful compared to real Indian food.

We decided to go to Urban Choola for lunch over Easter, as there was little else open before 5pm. And, luckily, I was not disappointed!

The restaurant, with its simple decor, is inviting and open. Some interesting artwork features!

The food has just enough spice, was clearly fresh and authentic and the portions were generous. My other half went as far as to say it was his "best Indian ever", though he does sometimes tend to get a bit overexcited. He chose a chicken dish (the name escapes me!) and it was delicious. The naan breads, which can often be stodgy, were gorgeously light. In addition, the strawberry lassi was gorgeous.
I would however recommend ordering an extra rice if you choose a dish that already comes with it. The portion isn't enough for someone who really enjoys their pilau!

For 2 x mains, 2 x rice, 2 x naan breads, 1 coffee and 1 lassi, it totaled just £20. Thought there was a mistake at first!

Next time I'm in Sheffield I will definitely be going back :)

3 Thank Chloe R
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“As good as Amigos? Very nearly!”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

As a big fan of Amigos, I was very keen to try this place, run by the same people and inhabiting the site of the old Amigos. It has been open for a couple of weeks now, and I went there at about 6pm, a few days after Easter. It was pretty quiet, but nicely decorated, with 5 or 6 tables.

We started with gol guppa - these are little crispy bread bubbles, filled with a blob of chick pea curry and they come with a jug of mild mint sauce, plus a few dips. The combination is delicious. We also had samosa ragda chaat - squashed vegetable samosa with coriander and mint salad. This tasted much better than the description would suggest!

I then had a lamb karahi thali, with a few dhals and salads but, disappointingly, nothing sweet (thalis I have had elsewhere have been complete meals on a plate). This was pretty good, with a nice spicy karahi, and was large enough not to have required a starter. At £9.50, this is good value. The little lady had a potato masala dhosa. The dhosa was not as crisp as we have had elsewhere and we mentioned this to the waiter. This brought the chef out, who told us about the problems he was having getting the lentil and rice dough to ferment properly! Anyhow, it still tasted good and the filling was very nice, with a real kick. They will tone down spicing for the delicate of taste, apparently, but for me it was about right.

We had a couple of lassis (the mango was good but my salt lassi could have had more oomph) but absolutely no room for dessert. The bill was £26 for two, but would have been less without my unnecessary starter! Another couple were having kathi rolls which looked like a pretty filling tea, £6 a piece. Urban Choola don't deliver yet but they hope to start soon.

Urban Choola has some unique dishes but it also does some standard curries, so it should appeal to the less adventurous as well. I will definitely be going again (bhel puri and one of those kebabs = yum!).