“Outstanding And Authentic ”
Review of Maveli

Maveli
Ranked #42 of 1,527 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sheffield City Centre's only authentic South Indian Restaurant where the food is freshly cooked on order. Enjoy the taste of succulent chicken, quail, lamb, fish ,prawns, calamari & egg dishes cooked in distinctive South Indian spices. Flavoursome vegetable dishes for those who love their veggies! Try delectable paper thin Dosas & Vadas (savoury doughnuts) drenched in South Indian style Chutneys & tangy Sambar. NOT UK's typical curry house fare! Find us on Glossop Rd ( end of West Street, at Sheffield Baths , Swim Inn Building ). Fully licensed Restaurant & Bar with a TAKE AWAY SERVICE too .Can cater for private events at home or other venues.
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I travel to India regularly with work, and can confidently say that the food served here is as authentic as it gets, and is of the highest quality.

I asked if the chef was from Kerala. He is. In fact all the owners are are also chefs. The service was friendly and attentive. All in all an excellent dining experience.

Thanks for bringing your wonderful South Indian spices to Sheffield.

2  Thank sjm143
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback . We do our best to provide genuine, authentic South Indian food such ,it's wonderful to learn that the food has matched your fare in India . Yes, our chef , as well all the owners come from Kerala ! It's been a pleasure having you here & we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is my first time at a South Indian restaurant and I was impressed with the flavour of food. I've been eating Indian for many years and have had the good fortune to spend long periods of time in Bradford and Derby, where the standards are high.

We asked the waiter for Apna style and then the manager came over and asked what we liked. We asked for lamb, fish and vegetarian dishes and that's what we got. The food quality was very good and the service was slick and friendly.

My only criticism is that for a Saturday night the restaurant was quiet, so lacked atmosphere. This is something I didn't expect for a restaurant so high in the Tripadvisor ranks. The room was quite dark too and needs either brightening up or mood lighting.

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We are seriously considering changing the decor to make it more South Indian in appearance after receiving feedback from a few guests . Maveli serves your typical daily home cooked , South Indian fare ,(very 'Apna Style') with very little tweaking to suit the Western palette . Unfortunately all restaurants were a little lonely during the time of the football world cup , especially on the days England had a game (such as the day you visited us). Otherwise we are always busy ,particularly on weekends. Look forward to seeing you again at Maveli. Thanks for writing in about us.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and I had a meal last night and although I wouldn't have the same food I would return I think. We both had popadoms which were very tasty. wife had chicken korma which tasted ok I had fish curry although was ok I have had better.
We had a beetroot side dish which was ok we found it to be more of a purée so wouldn't bother again with that.
The service was excellent I must say.this is first time we have been to a Southern India restaurant and think the jury is still out on weather we enjoyed that type of food. But all same congratulations generally a pleasant restaurant.

1  Thank richard s
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We are trying to convert Sheffield into trying out another type of Indian food . Sometimes the beetroot may be diced too small for pieces to stand out in the yoghurt based curry. Hope to see you again to convince you better about South Indian food. Thanks for writing in about us.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The service here was great and the food unique and nice, though the main was possibly a little too salty for my taste. The pudding was delicious. Nice atmosphere, perfect for an impromptu meal out with friends.

Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

We have given our chef your feedback about the salt levels & can tell you it will not occur again. Nice to learn that you all enjoyed your time at Maveli! Thanks for taking the time & trouble to write in about us.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband took me to Maveli for my birthday. We love indian food and like to cook it at home. The menu had loads of different choices, many of which I had not tried before. We loved it and will return in the future. The service was excellent, very helpful with making our choices, nothing was too much trouble, we will be recommending this restaurant to our friends. So nice to find somewhere offering something a bit different.

1  Thank vidsgirl
Cherian2013, Owner at Maveli, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

The pleasure is all ours . We are pleased your birthday was a memorable one & that the food & service met your expectations. Look forward to seeing you again .