“One of the best breakfasts I've ever had!”
Review of The Hidden Gem

The Hidden Gem
Ranked #1 of 1,710 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hidden Gem cafe is linked to a small charity for young adults with learning difficulties, it is the perfect quiet retreat set back from Ringing low Road. You can call in for coffee and cake or something more substantial like homemade light bites, full English breakfast and delicious daily specials. Food is served Monday-Saturday 9am - 3pm and coffee and cake until 4. Our bijoux gift shop sells a beautiful array of home accessories, gifts and bespoke pieces. We also sell stunning handmade items that the students of WORK Ltd create
Reviewed 7 October 2018

It's fair to say that I was looking forward to my breakfast here. Both the glowing online reviews and the fact that the Hidden Gem is indeed a bit hidden built up the anticipation.

Being fair, I have to say that it wasn't actually that hard to find- it is tucked behind a school but there is good signposting.

We received a nice welcome by the staff. We made sure that we arrived early because we knew that this place was popular- and we were lucky that we did. By the time we were leaving there wasn't a single table free, from what I could see. Despite this, we never felt at all rushed and everything was carried out with excellent timing- we didn't have to wait long to order or to get our food.

I chose the full English- I've never had a full English quite like it. The bacon steak was so thick and juicy, the bread clearly tasted homemade- same as the black pudding. The quality of everything was so high and the general atmosphere was so nice that something about it reminded me of eating Christmas dinner- clearly a very positive food association!

My cappuccino was also excellent and all the little touches made such a difference. For example there was free water you could take yourself and the orange slices in it made it taste like a real treat. Or the pats of butter were served in a tiny little saucepan, it looked like something from a doll's house. The cutlery and the crockery were works of art.

I was sorely tempted by one of the amazing looking cakes but I was already so stuffed- and my breakfast had been so decadent, that I managed to just about have the willpower not to order one.

The charitable aims of the whole enterprise made the whole trip even nicer- good for you for your work, your high standards and thanks for an amazing visit.

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank AlexSwallow
RuthHiddenGem, Manager at The Hidden Gem, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2018

Hi AlexSwallow,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and say such wonderful things about the Hidden Gem. Its great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

This place came highly recommended and we weren't disappointed, However it was very busy with families when we arrived. You cant book for a small party and when we visited a few weeks later we faced a 30-40 min. wait for a table, so went elsewhere.

Hi Roger T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry to hear that you were unable to get a table the last time you visited, hopefully this won't stop you from calling back soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We’d heard good things about this place but it’s a little off the beaten path so we’d never made it. We finally popped in for lunch one weekday and oh my word have we been missing out. It’s a small but perfectly formed little treasure. The food was lovely, the staff were friendly and polite and I spent the entire time I was waiting for our food to arrive getting food envy at everyone else’s orders as they made their way from the kitchen! We will definitely be going back to work our way through the menu. Definitely worth a visit and if you’ve been putting it off like we had, don’t, not for a moment longer!

1  Thank mishmoo5

Hi mishmoo5,

Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

This place is literally a hidden gem because it is well hidden behind a school but once you find it there is no way you are going to be disappointed. Food is absolutely delicious, nothing to complain about. If I had to point out one thing that could improve is the speed of service but form my experience you always have to wait for good food so no complaints.

Hi ateista666,

Its lovely to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Hidden Gem. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

Just had lunch at the hidden gem and it was excellent. We both had ham hock on homemade focaccia with delicious side salad and sweet potato fries. The food is so good. Dessert was Victoria sponge with home made jam and fresh strawberry filling, super and great coffee too

Hi Stevieb54,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Its good to hear that you enjoyed your visit, please call back soon.