“?gluten free /dairy free? ”
Review of The Grind Cafe

The Grind Cafe
Ranked #59 of 1,675 Restaurants in Sheffield
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

So I visited this cafe after seeing beautiful pictures on Instagram and reading they do gluten & dairy free options . I ordered a meal off the lunch menu with a V (vegan ) at the side knowing 100 % this should be dairy free, I also asked for the bread to be GF & told the waitress before ordering I was DF&GF. When it arrived the butter I got with my bread looked very much like full butter , so I asked and indeed it was cows milk butter, when I asked to swap this to vegan butter thinking it was a mistake, I was told they don’t serve dairy free butter (none In the cafe) ? So how can anything with toast be classed as vegan , how do you make your products like potato salad /cakes that are labelled vegan ect without having vegan butter on the premises? I am pretty confident a lot of vegans will have had animal products here. Also is the GF bread toasted separately to gluten bread ? I’m not normally one to be to fussed however at 27 weeks pregnant my allergies & intolerance need to be taken very seriously . I was offered peanut butter in replacement for cows butter (I’m pregnant & peanut butter with eggs & beans ). My mum had a bagel & she eats everything and anything but she couldn’t even get the knife through this bagel. I suppose you just put trust into restaurants and cafes that they are honest with their menus . I was very ill after eating here, I am presuming butter must have been used in my meal or some form of milk as it’s the only thing that makes me ill in the way that I was in such a short space of time after eating it .all I can advice Is that your chef is educated on the serious impact allergies and intolerance on pregnant woman or any member of the public . It’s a shame really as it’s situated in a lovely place and describes itself as offering DF /GF. the cakes look delicious if you can eat them . Just think again if you are vegan , intolerant or allergic to anything. They did apologise for the bagel & knocked it off the bill.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely little coffee shop at Kelham Island, does breakfast, brunch, coffee & cakes. The coffee was good, the food I thought was expensive for what it was but overall a good atmosphere, good coffee and friendly staff.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank louisagillatt
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

Only had a coffee here but it was excellent (and I've had a lot of coffee!).

Food looked good but not cheap

2  Thank stuartbF6617JF
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

This is a place to avoid if you’re on a diet as the cakes are just too good to resist! The savoury food is also delicious.

1  Thank GECole
Reviewed 3 October 2018

great little sunday morning find. full english breakfast is just right, be prepared to wait as its busy (which is a good thing) but well worth it. best to visit earlier than later as it fills up quick. pity its not a bit bigger cos it gets a little cramped but nice atmosphere for it.

Date of visit: September 2018