“Hit and miss”

Ranked #71 of 1,710 Restaurants in Sheffield
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 1 November 2018

I've been coming to Grind for about two/three years and seem to have a mix of experiences, and that's probably why I've kept going back despite sometimes below standard visit.
There is a good variety of main meals, salads, sandwiches, brunch items and cakes...cannot fault the choice and you'll always find something to eat. The standard of the food is top notch! However, the choices are repeated quite often, and you'll probably be able to predict what's on offer.
Brunch is probably their strong point as it offers a change from the typical dishes, and the addition of a weekend special is a bonus!
Expect a wait (which speaks for itself) but staff tend to make you feel rushed during busy periods so choose somewhere else if you're looking for a leisurely chat with a friend.

Reviewed 30 October 2018

The Grind Cafe is very good. It’s relatively small and intimate with a post modern, industrial vibe, that works well in the location and based on our limited exposure the food is excellent. We visited the Kelham Island museum and called in for a simple lunch and coffee. Both food and drink were excellent. I would have no hesitation in recommending this cafe based on our experience.

3  Thank martisan2018
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

So I visited this cafe after seeing beautiful pictures on Instagram and reading they do gluten & dairy free options . I ordered a meal off the lunch menu with a V (vegan ) at the side knowing 100 % this should be dairy free, I also asked for the bread to be GF & told the waitress before ordering I was DF&GF. When it arrived the butter I got with my bread looked very much like full butter , so I asked and indeed it was cows milk butter, when I asked to swap this to vegan butter thinking it was a mistake, I was told they don’t serve dairy free butter (none In the cafe) ? So how can anything with toast be classed as vegan , how do you make your products like potato salad /cakes that are labelled vegan ect without having vegan butter on the premises? I am pretty confident a lot of vegans will have had animal products here. Also is the GF bread toasted separately to gluten bread ? I’m not normally one to be to fussed however at 27 weeks pregnant my allergies & intolerance need to be taken very seriously . I was offered peanut butter in replacement for cows butter (I’m pregnant & peanut butter with eggs & beans ). My mum had a bagel & she eats everything and anything but she couldn’t even get the knife through this bagel. I suppose you just put trust into restaurants and cafes that they are honest with their menus . I was very ill after eating here, I am presuming butter must have been used in my meal or some form of milk as it’s the only thing that makes me ill in the way that I was in such a short space of time after eating it .all I can advice Is that your chef is educated on the serious impact allergies and intolerance on pregnant woman or any member of the public . It’s a shame really as it’s situated in a lovely place and describes itself as offering DF /GF. the cakes look delicious if you can eat them . Just think again if you are vegan , intolerant or allergic to anything. They did apologise for the bagel & knocked it off the bill.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely little coffee shop at Kelham Island, does breakfast, brunch, coffee & cakes. The coffee was good, the food I thought was expensive for what it was but overall a good atmosphere, good coffee and friendly staff.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank louisagillatt
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

Only had a coffee here but it was excellent (and I've had a lot of coffee!).

Food looked good but not cheap

2  Thank stuartbF6617JF