“Drink but don't eat. ”

Ranked #357 of 1,440 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Visit The Rising Sun Hotel in Sheffield for authentic British cooking and real ales in a genuine local pub warmed by a cosy fire. Our pub-food menu features classic meals made with award-winning ingredients. Included are seasonal specials and buffet food for all occasions, and great value set menus too. You'll also find a hand-picked range of perfectly conditioned cask ales on tap, and a selection of fine wines from around the world. A true local in Sheffield, we're a great place to meet up with friends and swap stories. Take part in our weekly quiz, or just come to eat and relax in our stylish pub surroundings.
“Drink but don't eat. ”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Live around the corner and am saddened by how awful the food is here. The constant deliveries from Brakes reveal how little actual cooking is done here. Imagine an economy airline meal smeared on to a plate and you have some idea of how poor the food is here.

No one will check whether you are enjoying the food as they know the answer. Please, do yourself a favour and eat anywhere else.

Sheffield, UK
“Awful, awful food”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Four of us visited here for lunch as we had been in the previous day for a quick drink and spotted the set menu. We sat in the quite nice beer garden to the rear and we all chose to order two courses for £6.50. I had the starter of home-fried nachos which were extremely greasy and a very small portion. It had minimal cheese, the salsa was from a jar and the promised sour cream was, in fact, a blob of the sour cream and chive dip that you tend to get in the cheap, four pack dips from the supermarket. Yuk. My main of pulled beef brisket chilli was astonishing in that it tasted of absolutely nothing and the rice had been dumped on the plate with so little care that half of it was still on the shape of the container that it had been microwaved in. Other mains courses that were sampled were the red pepper, butternut squash and tea quiche which was a small slice and was so burnt that it was sent back and fish and chips that were two small fillets rather than one large one, never a good sign as it implies cheaper quality fish, and a grand total of 12, count them, 12 chips (see photos). My chilli was so bad that I asked them to take it back and off the bill. In conclusion, the menu looks great on paper but bad on a plate.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Adepizza
“Good pub food”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Went for sunday lunch on sunday april 27th .Exelent food exelent value found a new place for lunch will be going again.

“Average”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We went for the mothers day menu, I didnt really rate the food. Its a typical pub lunch so it was edible but nothing special.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Food ok - customer service terrible”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

we have been her now a couple of times - first time was ok, second time below average (food sent back - no compensation or apologies - food was ok second time around)
Today:
ordered Caesar salat and a Chicken Burger wi Relish, Caesar salat should have come with garlic bread and grated Italian Cheese -
we waited more than 30 minutes - and no apology, explanation as given and nothing was pointed out to us when we ordered

neither of them arrived (garlic bread was pointed out to waiting staff and brought after wards) cheese was pointed out - explanation was the chef was really busy and forgot, nobody came to ask during the meal if everything was ok - if they would have done so we would have told them that there was no relish at all with the burger and that the chicken burger was far to over cooked.
I did mention all our concerns to the waitress when I went to the bar for paying and her reply was - sorry we have been busy.
After I payed the bill I did mention to her that it would have been far better customer service if she would have offered as a free drink or any kind of gesture, her reply was - the manager could do something if you want to. I did explain that this is no what I call customer service and that there should not be something offered because of me wanting to but as a matter of curtesy her reply was - handing me a survey sheet and telling me that I can fill this out - bad or good.

The rest of the Caesar Salad, the chips and he onion rings where nice - not sure if we will go back but def, will fill in the questionnaire.

Visited March 2014