“Oasis from West Street's livelier establishments”
Review of The Red Deer

The Red Deer
Ranked #285 of 1,539 Restaurants in Sheffield
Cuisines: British, Pub
Description: Our meats are supplied from John Crawshaw Butchers and are locally sourced and fully traceable. (Fish is supplied by William Howe and Son local fish merchant, whilst for fresh fruit and vegetables we use 'All Seasons'). All of our dishes are prepared in an environment which may contain traces of nuts. If you have any allergies or dietary requirements, please inform a member of staff when placing your order. Our menu is annotated with specific known allergens. Download Red Deer Allergen Key
Reviewed 16 July 2014

To coin an old phrase- " a proper pub". Good place to meet.

Worth trying the third of a pint samples, if you don't like one you, haven't expended too much effort.

Great range of Real Ales- you don't come here to have a Brussels like Trappist lager experience.

Food is tasty- old school and substantial.

Tidy beer garden at the back.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Red Deer has been one of my favourite pubs in Sheffield for many years. It hosts various activities in the upstairs room such as spoken word nights and gigs, and also hosts live music in the bar.

The location is brilliant being near the University of Sheffield and the top of West Street, the decor traditional English and the atmosphere warm, intimate, cosy and friendly.

We went there a few days ago to see local blues outfit The River Rats and had yet another wonderful night. Any visit to Sheffield would be poorer without paying this local gem a visit.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I held this place in high regard when I was a student at Sheffield and regularly came here for both food and drink. I recently came back for a meal while on a night out with friends and was a little disappointed.

I am happy to say it hadn't changed since I left apart from the quality of the food.

My friends went for sausage and mash and were both happy, however, I went for fish and chips and the fish was certainly a form of birdseye or similar company's ready made fish cooked in the oven. I'm sure the fish I had here was freshly cooked when I was at uni or I would have chosen something else.

Returns to pubs are often letdowns and I'm afraid this was one.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Great homemade none fancy food. There is a small but that suits me. Great selection of beers never short of choice. Great atmosphere. Only thing is they could do with some new games which should be kept behind the bar.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stumbled on this gem of a pub totally by accident!! The Red Deer is located just off the main drag of West Street, and for that reason it is one of the cities best kept secrets!
We arrived around 6pm and were greeted with roaring real coal fires and the tasty smell of mulled wine and proper food. Had no trouble finding a table although it did seem to get busier as the night went on, so perhaps we may have struggled later. Ended up ordering some food off the light bites menu after seeing the mouthwatering food being delivered to the table next to us. Food was fantastic, not the cheapest in town but the quality was outstanding. We had the homemade nachos and kumara fries (sweet potato fries) which were cooked to perfection.
The pub had a great selection of real ales, of which the Easy Rider was crystal clear and tasted great, obviously they keep their beer well and the service was absolutely spot on. Very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable staff.
Overall, great atmosphere, good food and nice beer. We will definitely be visiting this place again, if we can find it that is!