“A treat for the start of Christmas celebrations”
Review of Whitley Hall Hotel

Whitley Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We visited on Saturday lunch time for a family Christmas lunch. It was quite busy with a wedding in full flow; however the staff were attentive, friendly and very efficient. The traditional Christmas lunch food really very good. We had a lovely time. Only one thing to note and that's the price of wine by the glass. £8 a glass is far too much and almost doubled the bill. Had I known I would have bought a bottle at the table.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Jade R, Business Development Manager at Whitley Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Whitley Hall - it's great to know that you enjoyed your family lunch. We have noted your comments regarding the cost of the drinks. We change our Let's Do Lunch Menus on a monthly basis and throughout January, February and March we will be offering double loyalty points - even better value!!

Wishing you a Happy New Year

Best wishes

Jade Ridley
Business Development Manager

There are newer reviews for Whitley Hall Hotel

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Ate here with friends - lots of character,staff very helpful. Lounge area prior to dining rather cramped. Food average - nothing special but tasty enough. Soup course ok and melon ok. Main course of pork very nice but sea bream just pleasant. Vegetables ok but not inspiring - however parsnips with bacon/ ham wrapped around nice.
Desserts best part beautifully presented - mousse lovely and panacotta delightful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Spent a weekday night here on business and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The hotel is an old hall with bags of character. All the staff were charming and helpful, the room comfortable and dinner experience was also very good. There was a modest selection of original dishes on the menu which to me suggested they were fresh and they certainly tasted that way. Good friendly service over dinner which helps a lot when travelling solo on business. The dining-room is a really nice period room that had been tastefully decorated for Christmas which made a great yuletide feel. I can imagine that staying while a wedding was on could be a bit a challenge but I have no complaints and would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear of the building probably have a nicer aspect and woiuld be quieter than those on t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Looking for a Sunday night away near to great Christmas shopping, we found Whitley Hall online. Got a great last minute DBB package. Port on arrival, lovely comfy room over looking mini lake (pond), small but adequate bathroom, superb Sunday lunch style evening meal included, full English breakfast - what more could we want? Nothing! Hotel staff lovely; very friendly, every one of them. 3 niggles only: when booking I asked for quiet room away from wedding party - was allocated room 12. Hotel rang me and offered free upgrade - turns out room 12 was right over disco room (we never heard a thing from our actual room, room 41); drinks prices as mentioned a few times are steep - i like a bottle of wine when dining out but at around £25 starting point i resisted my husband pushing me into ordering one; price of break - I got a last minute deal online directly from the hotel, as I have done with several hotels recently, cheaper than using the online hotel sites, but this was an offer so I wouldn't have booked this had I had to pay full price. It was great value for what we had, especially as this was late November and decorated for Christmas. So olde worlde pretty. Will come again, deffo! Just 4.5 miles to Meadowhall via a back road yet felt like in the middle of the countryside. Wow!

Room Tip: Ask if any weddings on - they can do 2 at a time - then ask for a room away from it/them!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review Whitley Hall, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us - apologies that you were offered a complimentary upgrade to a room near to the wedding party, although we're really glad that you enjoyed a restful nights sleep in your original room.

It's always better to contact us directly rather than booking through an accommodation website, we will always endeavour to offer you the best rates available.

We hope to welcome you back to Whitley Hall n the near future

Happy New Year!

Jade Ridley
Business Development Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We travelled up from the Isle of Wight to join a wedding party, although the room was very nice, with good views, and a comfortable bed, the price of the drinks were unbelievably expensive which did take the edge of the day, (£2.50 for a small bottle of water) and having a double whiskey which cost me £9.50, with beer in the £4.50 bracket, you need a Nat West service till in your room, why do they have to spoil the whole experience by ripping people off with the price of drinks, I am sure this would not be the case if they did not have a captured audience. Come on Whitley Hall, stop over charging on the drinks, almost all the members of our group were complaining about the drinks prices. I will not be back, as I hate to feel I am being robbed, I mean "Dick Turpin" a least wore a mask !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I booked in to Whitley Hall last weekend with high expectations after reading the reviews and looking at the photos, we wasn't disappointed when we arrived. Even though reception was packed with wedding guest booking in and some checking out the receptionist greeted us with a smile and she was very polite.We upgraded our room which was very nice,warm and clean with everything we needed. The evening meal was first class close to Mitchelin standard with a wine list to match and the Breakfast was as good as any I've ever tasted with plenty of choice. We can't wait to return and will be looking for an excuse to do so, it's a great hotel with just as great staff. We'll done keep up the good work and thank you.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at Whitley Hall en route to London & were extremely surprised by how good our stay was. The staff were excellent (couldn't have been more happy to help) & our bedroom was well appointed especially with the added luxury of complimentary port (my husband is still going on about it). Food was good - in fact we really can't fault the staff or hotel at all. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel
Best Western Plus Kenwood Hall Hotel
Copthorne Hotel Sheffield
Copthorne Hotel Sheffield
#11 of 53 in Sheffield

Been to Whitley Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!